[H]ot 300G 15k sas drive $200 - 25% paypal = $150 shipped

Ugh, I really shouldn't be buying more stuff...need to focus on one project at a time. I'm passing for now, but it does seem like a pretty good deal.

okay call me a nub but I am not really familiar with SAS drives... can you just plug it into the sata port on your mb? I can't find much good information online.

okay call me a nub but I am not really familiar with SAS drives... can you just plug it into the sata port on your mb? I can't find much good information online.
No. You need a SAS controller if your motherboard doesn't have it (which most likely it doesn't). The connector may look similar, but SAS has an extra 7 pins on the other side of the connector (where SATA normally has a gap).

Holy shit! Hot as hell, these are great drives. I believe they were EOLed to make room for the 450GB 15K variant.

You WILL need a specialized RAID controller to handle these drives, Harkov. There isn't a consumer-class motherboard in existence that has SAS ports on board. Look to drop at least $200 on a two-port SAS-capable RC, and up to $400+ for 4+ port that can do more than just RAID 1 or 0.

Holy shit! Hot as hell, these are great drives. I believe they were EOLed to make room for the 450GB 15K variant.

You WILL need a specialized RAID controller to handle these drives, Harkov. There isn't a consumer-class motherboard in existence that has SAS ports on board. Look to drop at least $200 on a two-port SAS-capable RC, and up to $400+ for 4+ port that can do more than just RAID 1 or 0.
Not quite...this has SAS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130136

I think the Velociraptor smokes this drive in single user scenarios but gets killed in multi-user scenarios. It also has a much higher power draw if that sort of thing matters to you. It's a bit louder as well. It all depends on how you are going to use the drive. The price is tempting but the purchase of controller card is a turn off for me.

Based from personal experience it's fast either way, having used them in servers.

I think the Velociraptor smokes this drive in single user scenarios but gets killed in multi-user scenarios. It also has a much higher power draw if that sort of thing matters to you. It's a bit louder as well. It all depends on how you are going to use the drive. The price is tempting but the purchase of controller card is a turn off for me.

Based from personal experience it's fast either way, having used them in servers.

10k<15k :)

Access time, definately but you're talking 1.something ms difference. I've used both and the only time I noticed a real difference between the two drives was when using a higher end caching controller for the SAS drive. Desktop use didn't show enormous differences between the two before changing controllers. I guess I just feel the need to defend the poor velociraptor. :) If I had my own SAS controller I would jump on this deal. At $150, this is definately better bang for the buck ( I would buy two ). I don't think you'll feel the difference all that much depending on the task at hand during desktop use.

What we need are reliable 300GB MLC SSD drives with >100MB/s write speed with no hitching for less than $200. :D

Has anyone ordered one of these Seagate drives from this deal btw?

Wow, I wish I had a job to buy a few of these. They'd go great with my Perc. :(

Aren't these drives tuned for server performance and would get smoked at desktop stuff by a raptor because of it? I remember reading an SCSI drive review a while back and only one out of all of the SCIS drives had a desktop type mode that made it competative. Maybe im remembering wrong.

I would be so in for this if I didn't just get 4 15k fujitsu's for about 430 which was a sweet deal still. Does anyone know which cables I need to make this work on my perc 5/i, I currently have the 1 -> 4 adaptor without power one it, do I need to get the cables that have combined power/data?

I would be so in for this if I didn't just get 4 15k fujitsu's for about 430 which was a sweet deal still. Does anyone know which cables I need to make this work on my perc 5/i, I currently have the 1 -> 4 adaptor without power one it, do I need to get the cables that have combined power/data?

rally9x: Got a link to the fujitsus ?

Also: I plan to use this as part of a lustre cluster.

My nodes are as follows:

Celeron 430 head node: Raid1 of 640GB as mgs/mdt, 1 gigabit intel nic, 2G ram
Storage node 1: be-2350 4 * 400G raid 10, 4 * 500G raid 10, 4 * 400G raid 10, 2 * pro/1000 , 2 * broadcom 1000, 8G ram
Storage node 2: e8400 6 * 74G raptor raid5, 4 * 300G raid 5?, 2 * pro/1000, 2 * broadcom 1000, 8G ram
Translation node: 2 * opteron 275, 8 * pro/1000, 8G ram
Switch is going to be a 48 port netgear (only 20Gbit backplane :-( )...still waiting on it.

Total usable space would be about 3.1-3.3 T's.

Rob

It's nice, it has free shipping and all (US only from what I've read).
smiley2.gif

Aren't these drives tuned for server performance and would get smoked at desktop stuff by a raptor because of it? I remember reading an SCSI drive review a while back and only one out of all of the SCIS drives had a desktop type mode that made it competative. Maybe im remembering wrong.
No you are remembering right. The benchmark numbers will show the SAS drive getting it's ass handed to it in single user benches but the tables are turned when the drive is called upon to handle the tasks it was designed for.

you're exactly right
most people aren't aware of this
would like to see that review though, was it StorageReview?

Yes you will have to... also your PERC 5/i has too weak a IOP to fully utilize 4 15K drives. I used to have one and it maxed out at ~250MB/s, while the drives could actually do almost 400MB/s.

No you are remembering right. The benchmark numbers will show the SAS drive getting it's ass handed to it in single user benches but the tables are turned when the drive is called upon to handle the tasks it was designed for.

Link?

I searched for the model # on the ebay auction in google with site:storagereview.com & google didn't return anything.

Quick head to head: http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&devID_0=321&devID_1=366&devID_2=360&devCnt=3

**Your search failed because the model number was for the SAS version. Storagereview posted the review for the UltraWide 320 (ST3300655LW). Same hardware except for the interface.

Thanks for the link. Since I do not do gaming, but do a ton of i/o's (shared storage between multiple boxes, etc) I'm guessing the iometer results are probably more applicable. YMMV :)

In any case at ~ 1/2 the price for a velociraptor (after cashback) it might just be worth getting two. The only way it _REALLY_ loses for me is on the power front. I'm tempted to stay away from it on that respect alone.

Wait, I thought all SAS drives could be plugged into a SATA port, you just wouldn't get any of the SAS specific features if you did that. Or was it SATA drives could be plugged into a SAS port without issue?

Thanks for the link. Since I do not do gaming, but do a ton of i/o's (shared storage between multiple boxes, etc) I'm guessing the iometer results are probably more applicable. YMMV :)

In any case at ~ 1/2 the price for a velociraptor (after cashback) it might just be worth getting two. The only way it _REALLY_ loses for me is on the power front. I'm tempted to stay away from it on that respect alone.
Yeah that drive ain't green. But come on, this is the [H] man!

Wait, I thought all SAS drives could be plugged into a SATA port, you just wouldn't get any of the SAS specific features if you did that. Or was it SATA drives could be plugged into a SAS port without issue?
SATA-->SAS not the other way around.

Just an FYI for folks considering high RPM drives out there. It is known in the IT industry that if you expose your ears to an environment with high RPM drives (such as using them in your desktop computer) it can damage your hearing. These are enterprise drives, designed to be in a datacenter. OSHA recommends wearing hearing protection if you are exposed to them more than 15 minutes a day. When they start to wear out, they often can sound about as loud as a jet turbine, or at least remind you of one.

Yep - SATA drives can be used on SAS controller but SAS drives cannot be used on SATA controllers. Also - nice deal on those drives.

Just an FYI for folks considering high RPM drives out there. It is known in the IT industry that if you expose your ears to an environment with high RPM drives (such as using them in your desktop computer) it can damage your hearing. These are enterprise drives, designed to be in a datacenter. OSHA recommends wearing hearing protection if you are exposed to them more than 15 minutes a day. When they start to wear out, they often can sound about as loud as a jet turbine, or at least remind you of one.
Dunno about you, but I can't hear our SAS drives thanks to our 15000rpm fans at work. :p

that's why my ear not that good anymore :(

Hasoos> I was born with hearing loss :) I take out my hearing aides already in my 'server room' :)

What frequency ranges? I have 8 36GB 15K's in my box right next to me and they're plenty quiet.

What frequency ranges? I have 8 36GB 15K's in my box right next to me and they're plenty quiet.
I have to agree here, the 15K drives are WAY quieter than the 10K screamers. The 10K drives are the ones that will really hurt your ears. I haven't heard a 15K drive fail or one that was on it's way out so I don't know if it sounds worse at that point like a previous poster mentioned, but working you barely hear the spindle. The head seek is another story but nothing that would hurt your ears. YMMV.

Back