[H]ot! 65" Olevia LCD on Woot for 2,304.99 shipped!

semisonic9

Gawd
http://www.woot.com/

Looks like a "going out of business sale" from Olevia, a company that used to rebrand stuff for Costco. They're undergoing bankruptcy and probably trying to liquidate stock. It appears this TV is a re-branded Sharp-supplied panel.

Sadly, I won't have the cash until next month for this kind of pricey Woot-ing, but I figured I'd throw it up. I have no idea if it's a good TV or not, but it defiantely represents good bang/buck on the size-per-dollar front! :D

Check the discussion thread for thoughts and reviews.

~S

how does lcd technology compare to dlp at these screen sizes?

holy ♥♥♥♥♥♥ , i want that tv! :D. doesn't seem that bad with square trade coverage eh?

meh, if you are going to spend that much you might as well get 72" Samsung LED 3D-DLP its like 100 bucks more :)

Saw the woot, nifty but bigger then I need. Any other good tv deals out there? Frys has is regular assortment, but any other fantastic deals out there? I am suddenly in the market...

Holy balls, 1080P. I gotta order one!

meh, if you are going to spend that much you might as well get 72" Samsung LED 3D-DLP its like 100 bucks more :)

Not everyone has the space for the DLP plus it is not wall mountable.

Not everyone has the space for the DLP plus it is not wall mountable.

I think this is a sweet deal, but wanted to point out that DLPs aren't insanely deep as people assume. Particularly the newer models, are very light and not as deep as the old DLPs.

I think this is a sweet deal, but wanted to point out that DLPs aren't insanely deep as people assume. Particularly the newer models, are very light and not as deep as the old DLPs.

That may be true, but thats still too deep for most people, such as me. I'm looking at hanging a tv above my fireplace.

I got the 47" for $1180 shipped last Thanksgiving and love it. If I didn't have the set, I'd get this. That's a NOICE size, talk about e-penis... nice price too. They are not "top of the line" but for that price, pffft, shwaeet.

Saw the woot, nifty but bigger then I need. Any other good tv deals out there? Frys has is regular assortment, but any other fantastic deals out there? I am suddenly in the market...

this depends on luck, but i've found that fry's usually has one or two tvs on clearance that are reasonably good deals. they are not on display and are put off to the side and have red pricetags. fantastic deals, if you're lucky. if anybody works at a fry's and has any idea when they issue clearances, that would be great.

The question is:

If you saw a 65" LCD an a 72" DLP next to eachother... which would you pick? Yeah, the 72" is bigger ( http://www.displaywars.com/65-inch-16x9-vs-72-inch-16x9 ), but what about the viewable angles? Projections always seem to look off to me when compared to a LCD/Plasma.

I have only really looked at two DLPs both of them owned by friends, both the older sony models before Sony stopped making DLPs and both the TVs are beautiful from no matter what angle you look at it from, the only con is that light bulb burns out every 2 years and is 400 bucks a whack, since i have taken an interest in DLP i have been reading up on Texas Instruments LED DLPs although I have yet to seen any in stores... nearest BB or CC is 45 mins to an hour away so I do most of shopping online or at walmart :( So I don't know if the Mitsubishi or Samsung models have viewing problems but I haven't read anything at all in the reviews I have read...

I must say the Olevia is a great deal though because I have another friend that just bought Sony 52inch LCD for the same price.

That may be true, but thats still too deep for most people, such as me. I'm looking at hanging a tv above my fireplace.

You'd really be [H]ard with a hanging DLP mod.

Couple 20" half inch thick bolts rammed into the fireplace...

Just sayin....

just build a nice big mantle over the fire place :D
ahaha, that reminds me of my grandfather. He always over-does things. Just last year he put in a natural gas fireplace in the basement (ranch style home --25x50ft), and the fireplace looks like something that would go in a ski lodge out in Colorado. rofl.. The mantle portion sticks out about 8 feet from the wall, and goes floor to ceiling with huge rocks. We were sitting there at Christmas and he turned it on. About 5 minutes later we couldn't even get within 15 feet of it because it was so hot. lmao.. it was burning my eyebrows. :p

DLP's are decent , good viewing angels from all around ( i own a 62" Mitsubishi 1080i DLP )

I guess that is an excellent price considering the 70" LCD from Sony was $33,000.:eek:

Syntax Brillian went bankrupt, not Olevia. S-B sold off all the assets and debt to Olevia who is still honoring warranties and servicing TVs. That being said, I still bought the Square Trade warranty.

Square Trade trick: When you buy your first warranty with ST, they will give you a coupon for 50% off your second warranty. What I did was buy a $2 warranty on some headphones, then used the 50% coupon on the TV warranty. $86 for both warranties :D

I have two Olevia HDTVs and they both work flawlessly.

I got a 47" 1080p for $990 + tax at Circuit City last fall, bought with Visa card to double the warranty for free. The other is a 32" 720P I bought for around $500.

Syntax Brillian went bankrupt, not Olevia. S-B sold off all the assets and debt to Olevia who is still honoring warranties and servicing TVs. That being said, I still bought the Square Trade warranty.

Square Trade trick: When you buy your first warranty with ST, they will give you a coupon for 50% off your second warranty. What I did was buy a $2 warranty on some headphones, then used the 50% coupon on the TV warranty. $86 for both warranties :D

Yea I found out the hard way :( I have a 50% off coupon now. Where were you an hour ago.

I'd rather spend that on a nice 1080p projector setup... make a nice 100+ inch image, with a total weight of 10 pounds, instead of a small 65" one. Something you might want to be aware of is the warranty could bbe iffy on this as the manufacturer's parent company went under recently. I run an 84" screen on an Epson projector and it far outstrips any LCD I've ever seen quality-wise, even the large ones like this. For this kind of cash I'm just saying you should research your options first, and bite later.

I'd rather spend that on a nice 1080p projector setup... make a nice 100+ inch image, with a total weight of 10 pounds, instead of a small 65" one. Something you might want to be aware of is the warranty could bbe iffy on this as the manufacturer's parent company went under recently. I run an 84" screen on an Epson projector and it far outstrips any LCD I've ever seen quality-wise, even the large ones like this. For this kind of cash I'm just saying you should research your options first, and bite later.

Even in daylight? I know most people don't have a dark special room to watch movies and TV in. Projectors are cool but where can I find a decent 1080p one for that price~!?! and even then its not really the same thing.

Even in daylight? I know most people don't have a dark special room to watch movies and TV in. Projectors are cool but where can I find a decent 1080p one for that price~!?! and even then its not really the same thing.

I don't have a light-controlled room, just blinds... so there's a bit of ambient light and it still looks good. Just gotta get a bright PJ :). As far as specific ones, there's a few models out there at ~$1500 readily that are 1080P and do well, which would then leave money for the surround sound and screen. Just trying to let people know to do their research before spending so much on something like this :). AVSforum is a great place to read up on TV's and projectors.

While it's great that you can buy a projector, this isn't the same thing. I have both and they each have their own purpose or niche. You can't replace a TV with a projector for day to day activity (you can, but not if you want to replace bulbs) and not everyone has the throw distances nor do they have the optimal lighting, nor may they have the screen space or ideal placement for one.

I see the diffrences as a truck and a car, they both drive, they both can speed, they both can do pretty much everything the other one can but they are ideally seperate and have thier own nice and purpose.

While it's great that you can buy a projector, this isn't the same thing. I have both and they each have their own purpose or niche. You can't replace a TV with a projector for day to day activity (you can, but not if you want to replace bulbs) and not everyone has the throw distances nor do they have the optimal lighting, nor may they have the screen space or ideal placement for one.

I see the diffrences as a truck and a car, they both drive, they both can speed, they both can do pretty much everything the other one can but they are ideally seperate and have thier own nice and purpose.

I can agree with you on that. Likewise with the two, I also think someone should take a look at their options before dropping what to most would be a lot of money. Decide first, then look for a hot deal :).

and yeah, anyone wanting a big screen LCD who doesnt need to have the aboslute best picture quality should jump on this fast. that said, its picture quality @ 1080 will still be 1000000x better than any SD setup out there.

Back