[H]ot Deal - 2x1GB Buffalo FireStix $109.99!

Factories cut production of DDR2 RAM and shifted production to other lines a few weeks ago. They are all currently selling RAM at major losses, and it can't last long. I think we're near the bottom. We'll see the prices start to increase in June.

Factories cut production of DDR2 RAM and shifted production to other lines a few weeks ago. They are all currently selling RAM at major losses, and it can't last long. I'd guess we'll see the prices start to increase again in June.

So you work at Micron/Elpida and such?

So you work at Micron/Elpida and such?

No but do expect current prices to be the low for a while. They are going to creep back up, and once ddr3 becomes the norm, pricing will fix again, most likely at current values or even a little higher. Just look at ddr pricing now

Daaamn I have been planning on buying another set of these from Newegg this Friday... I hope these hold out and I can get them instead!

My first kit has been awesome!

most sales are always mail in rebate.. whats so hard about putting a stamp. receipt. Send. waiting.. money :D

doesnt seem difficult

No but do expect current prices to be the low for a while. They are going to creep back up, and once ddr3 becomes the norm, pricing will fix again, most likely at current values or even a little higher. Just look at ddr pricing now

And history repeats itself once again.

I bit.... no way I'm going to pass this up and then regretting it in 6 months when it ends up costing twice this much. I've seen it happen too many times in the past. Memory prices are like oil or gold prices.... crazy.

I was going to order from Newegg even though they are $159, simply because I've not ordered from Directron in the past and am unsure of how fast they ship. But the egg ran out of the Firestix earlier today... so I went ahead and bit on the deal in this thread and paid extra for overnight shipping. :D

All 4 of my slots will be filled with matching sets now. :)

How far are you guys overclocking these sticks? I was sitting on only 970mhz 4-4-4-10 with 2.3v, and they decided to die out after a month. Second time this happened, so I'm wondering if these things don't take 2.3v too well. I had an 80mm fan blowing over the memory, too, so heat couldn't of been an issue... how have your overclocks been holding up? I'm looking to go for another pair to be Vista ready (going to switch once UT3 and other DX10 games come out.)

i was able to get 1150mhz with 2.3v 5-5-5-15, but it stopped operating at that frequency. running stable at 2.1v at 1034mhz

my first 2 sticks of buffalo 800 gmh were better than 2 of my buffalo 1000 gkx's. they were able to do 1000cl4 and 800cl3 with just 2.1v. I have other sticks that can do 1000cl4 with 2.1v, but none that'll do 800cl3 with just 2.1v. Too bad they blew up

I was going to order from Newegg even though they are $159, simply because I've not ordered from Directron in the past and am unsure of how fast they ship. But the egg ran out of the Firestix earlier today... so I went ahead and bit on the deal in this thread and paid extra for overnight shipping. :D
I've ordered from Directron a couple times and the service was impeccable. A friend had an order mispacked and they got the right product shipped out to him the same day. I'd be surprised if you have any issues. :)

Yeesh, I got this kit from newegg for 159.99. Question: how does Vista and XP respond to 4 gigs? I might pull the trigger on this as the OS upgrade path I'm planning is XP -> Vista Ultimate after SP1.

Unless you are using programs that use that much RAM (read: not most games), you won't see that much of an advantage. If you use 32-bit Windows (XP or Vista - doesn't matter, it's still 32-bit) you will not be able to use all the RAM anyway. 32-bit OS's have the ability to use 4GB of memory total, including other peripherals - such as your video card's RAM. You'd probably at most be able to see about 2.8-3.5 GB depending on components.

Back