[H]ot ? e8400 for $119? Coming soon...

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
I got a promo mail from microcenter this morning advertising the e8400 for $119.99. When I went to their website it was still $149.99, but I'm guessing they haven't updated the price yet.

Here is the link. Check back in 4-5 hours I guess:

E8400

EDIT:PRICE IS NOW $119.99

Last edited:
Ha, going to cambridge today to see what they have. Would this be a major improvement over a [email protected]? I don't think so but you guys know better then me.

You can see their stock online you know? 27 in stock at Cambridge at 10:30 am. It was 30 this morning a couple hours ago.

That's some serious voltage on your e5200, you could hit 4.1 with modest voltage on the e8400. But I wouldn't bother, wait for a quad deal.

I really don't get how microcenter turns profit. I mean, I understand the concept of a loss lead item drawing people into the store to buy other, more profitable items - but this seems a bit ridiculous. Keep in mind I say this only because there is no microcenter near me and I'm really jealous about that :(

You can see their stock online you know? 27 in stock at Cambridge at 10:30 am. It was 30 this morning a couple hours ago.

That's some serious voltage on your e5200, you could hit 4.1 with modest voltage on the e8400. But I wouldn't bother, wait for a quad deal.

meh the highest i can get my e8400 is 3.6 :(

I really don't get how microcenter turns profit. I mean, I understand the concept of a loss lead item drawing people into the store to buy other, more profitable items - but this seems a bit ridiculous. Keep in mind I say this only because there is no microcenter near me and I'm really jealous about that :(
I'll be in for one maybe two later.

Thanks OP. Just grabbed one at the Minneapolis store and it looks like the one I've got is an E0 stepping. $128 after tax. From what I've briefly read, the E0 stepping is a bit beefier than the A0's with better OC ceilings. My box code is SLBJ9.

Stepping up from an OC'd e2140 @ 2.8Ghz. Gonna try to OC this new one to the high 3's. I'm hoping to see a difference in gaming due to the L2 cache moving from 1mb to 6mb. I thought I read awhile back that the L2 cache can make quite a difference in gaming. Guess I'll find out. Ugh....gonna have to update my bios on my BFG 680i platform though. Fun. Fun.

Thanks OP. Just grabbed one at the Minneapolis store and it looks like the one I've got is an E0 stepping. $128 after tax. From what I've briefly read, the E0 stepping is a bit beefier than the A0's with better OC ceilings. My box code is SLBJ9.

Stepping up from an OC'd e2140 @ 2.8Ghz. Gonna try to OC this new one to the high 3's. I'm hoping to see a difference in gaming due to the L2 cache moving from 1mb to 6mb. I thought I read awhile back that the L2 cache can make quite a difference in gaming. Guess I'll find out. Ugh....gonna have to update my bios on my BFG 680i platform though. Fun. Fun.

got one at mpls store too

virtualization is only for virtual pc/vm ware correct? Meaning it's useless for regular apps?

virtualization is only for virtual pc/vm ware correct? Meaning it's useless for regular apps?

Actually it's required in KVM, helps in virtualbox, and I think it's required in Xen as well (although I really should double check).

You left out B&M.

While it's a nice price (less than Newegg); considering they just had the Q8200 for $20 less, this is obviously an *oooopsie* sale.

I currently have an E1200 overcranked from 1.6 GHz to 2.67 GHz (stock voltage and HSF) pushing a 1333 MHz FSB; what's the typical FSB I could get away with pushing the E8400 to (same conditions)?

This isnt a price mistake. Its well documented that MC sells their cpu's at a smal lose most the tiem to draw people in to buy their over priced components.

It is required in Citrix XenServer using Windows Clients. If just doing linux, no you don't need VT.

While it's a nice price (less than Newegg); considering they just had the Q8200 for $20 less, this is obviously an *oooopsie* sale.

I currently have an E1200 overcranked from 1.6 GHz to 2.67 GHz (stock voltage and HSF) pushing a 1333 MHz FSB; what's the typical FSB I could get away with pushing the E8400 to (same conditions)?

For those with no microcenter, about about this from ewiz
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=E7400BOX
use coupon code "taxday15" for $15 off $100 today only
and make sure you use live cashback for another 5% off

With free shipping that's just under $100 shipped

I thought that was an E8400 before I clicked it. I was like "Wow!"...

Does Microcenter still have a "rewards club" where you sign up (or maybe buy one item first) and then get a discount on your next purchase?

I thought that was an E8400 before I clicked it. I was like "Wow!"...

Does Microcenter still have a "rewards club" where you sign up (or maybe buy one item first) and then get a discount on your next purchase?

yes, if you are already signed up, you get a 5% off single item coupon when you buy stuff there, and you still get one even if you used a coupon on the purchase.

Also the E7400 has been $99.99 at MC for a while now

I'm an idiot. I went in on the biostar g31 + e8400 tray deal at fry's a few weeks back.

Was sort of an impulse buy after being completely pissed at my e7300 for needing excessive voltage to even hit 3.2ghz.

Wish I had looked up some sspecs so I could hunt out an e0.

Just said ok to the one they gave me. Turns out it's a c0.

bleh..

That said, just popped it in today. It's running really hot. Maybe I'll lap it next time it's out on the bench.

So far, I went with 1.34v load volts and am starting at 9x450=4050mhz. Prime stable for 30 minutes so far.

That's acceptable enough for me I guess. Would have loved to hit 4.4ghz with an e0, but...

I picked one of these up yesterday for my Dad (he lives on the other side of DFW). I think I must have told the guy like 15 times that I did not need a motherboard, heatsink, thermal goo, new power supply, case, optical drive, random shit, penguins, etc before he finally would get the thing out of the case and walk me up to the counter.

Back