[H]ot hard drive deals @ Fry's

phixt

Limp Gawd
They've been crazy with their deals on drives lately. Here are this weekend's:

WD 80GB 7200rpm 8MB buffer: $69.99 - $30MIR = $39.99
WD 74GB Raptor: $199.99 - $30MIR = $169.99 (good deal, but newegg is $5 cheaper)
Hitachi 250GB 7200rpm 8MB buffer: $219.99 - $120MIR - $20MIR = $79.99 :eek:

That's 32 cents a gig for the Hitachi

SEALTeamSix said:
hey, is that in store only or what?
Yeah, those are in-store only, except they do have the deal posted above on outpost.com. Might have the other drives there too, haven't checked. Usually outpost.com will have a watered-down version of the in-store sale.

is the hd really worth it.? i mean i'll just fill it up and forget where i places this and that lol..

Northerner said:
wow, i would love to have that 80gb wdd but i couldnt find it on thier site! :(
It's here, but it's $10 more and doesn't have a rebate...nothing special. Newegg has it for $63

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the “deathstar” history of Hitachi/IBM. Since I have had three IBM’s fail, two WD’s, one Seagate, and one Maxtor, I am waiting for some kind of proof that the durability has improved drastically on Hitachi drives.

sir_rob said:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the “deathstar” history of Hitachi/IBM. Since I have had three IBM’s fail, two WD’s, one Seagate, and one Maxtor, I am waiting for some kind of proof that the durability has improved drastically on Hitachi drives.
Ah, good point. I've had an IBM (Hitachi) Deskstar fail before (60GXP) in an unreasonable amount of time and swore off buying another hard drive from either company. The 250GB Hitachi does bear the infamous Deskstar logo that I swear at every time I walk through the store...even though it's a hard deal to pass up, I won't be buying one. Hopefully they have their reliability issues fixed by now for the people who are buying one..

Good luck getting that rebate from Fry's. They can be such a pain in the ass to deal with. I had a $50 rebate on a WD 120GB hard drive and after waiting the 8 weeks, I got a postcard from Western Digital claiming that the offer was invalid. I tried to contact WD but they just steered me back to Fry's. I called them up, but they said I had to show up in person to handle it.

So I dragged myself down there, and when I finally got a rep to talk to me he went and... called WD. :rolleyes: And after about 30 minutes of waiting around when he was on the phone, he finally got it resolved. Of course I had to wait another 6 weeks to see the rebate, but I did eventually get it. Still, was a major hassle and I've pretty much sworn of buying anything rebate related from Fry's.

Damn it. Every week Fry's deals get posted, and I get jellous. The only good thing about there not being a Fry's anywhere near me is that I still have money to eat with!

phixt said:
Ah, good point. I've had an IBM (Hitachi) Deskstar fail before (60GXP) in an unreasonable amount of time and swore off buying another hard drive from either company. The 250GB Hitachi does bear the infamous Deskstar logo that I swear at every time I walk through the store...even though it's a hard deal to pass up, I won't be buying one. Hopefully they have their reliability issues fixed by now for the people who are buying one..

Sorry to crap on the thread, but that is irrelevant now that IBM bought Hitachi. Hitachi makes the drives, IBM just sells them now, so the people that made your deathstar are not the ones making this 250GB drive :)

I just got a postcard from Seagate on a $40 MIR from Fry's that says my serial number I submitted was incorrect - even though the S/N's barcode was scanned at the counter at Fry's and then I submitted that receipt!

Fackers!

Back