[H]OT: M-m-m-m-m-ONSTER KILL! EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition $200 @ buy.com

So my order got canceled...no biggie I figured that's what would happen. Got $5 off gift cert for my hassles...cool. Tried to use that gift cert today. Buy.com's website accepted the gift cert, appeared to take $5 off. Cool right? Then I get my order conf...no $5 off. The hits just keep on coming with buy.com.

So then I email buy.com's support. They say it was accepted and that my order history will show it. I of course log in to check this out. Does anyone really think my order history is going to show the $5 off? Of course not. This company is a freaking joke.

Check your gift certificate balance, it will show $0 now. It went through, it's just that Buy.com's system sucks so bad you'd think it didn't.

Oh, and ignore anything buy.com says in non-generic personal emails or conversations.

They had three extremely similar, high demand, and highly advertised products at way lower than normal prices, almost at the same time. If it is true error, they are absolute morons for having pricing errors on the level of Dell. They are CROOKS for selling more product than what they have, and can get. When you run out you run out. Make it say OUT OF STOCK. For crap's sake, how hard is that??? I know at my local store we screw up orders sometimes. A customer will order something online right as someone's buying it in the store. By the time we get the message to pull the online customer's item, the in-store purchaser just walked out the door with it. But these are small quantity differences, two to three at most. I've never seen six people order the same laptop online and opt for store pickup, then come in to find we only had one or two.

I think the "pricing error" excuse is a joke. It was obviously no pricing error. Every card was lower in price and the timing was expected. I mean, it's different if the 280 GTX just came out last week, and suddenly buy.com is selling them for half price, that is an obvious error, but these cards are going on sale everywhere and buy.com's price wasn't THAT much lower on most of the cards, the exception was the EVGA SSC.

I think they had only 100 or so in stock, and used the deal to rake in all sorts of advert revenue. I'm sure buy.com got a LOT more traffic than usual. Heck, all the CC charges they made probably earned them enough money in interest to make up for any "loss" they are pretending they took.

Buy.com has some crappy business practices, but I'm willing to deal with it IF it's possible to score a deal every so often in their Lottery game. I expected to get my SSC, but now I realize I should never to expect anything priced too attractive at their store.

Anyone still waiting for their cash to be returned? I'm about to call again. I know yesterday was a holiday but still it should have gone through right away today.

*Edit: Nevermind, looks like money's just chilling in between paypal and my bank.

In what Bizzaro world is the CONSUMER at fault for Buy.com selling MULTIPLE brands of cards at MULTIPLE venues that are IN STOCK at the time of purchase, and not fulfilling the order? Some of you guys say it's OUR FAULT for believing that Buy.com is selling what they SAY they are selling?
Let me get this straight, it's OUR fault for buying the card? Amazing, some of you guys must
work for Buy.com. In YOUR twisted world, any retailer can SAY something is on sale, then renege at any time they want, without repercussion?
Buy.com is laughing at us, "sure, let's just tell them it was a 'pricing mistake', they won't do anything, they will even bicker amongst themselves!" I guess we should all bend over and just take it, huh? That why these retailer do this stuff, because they think they CAN. I am a little worried that anyone would imply this is "Our fault" somehow, for what.....believing Buy.com? This is Bad Business, and you don't reward Bad Business.

Anyone still waiting for their cash to be returned? I'm about to call again. I know yesterday was a holiday but still it should have gone through right away today.

*Edit: Nevermind, looks like money's just chilling in between paypal and my bank.

Mine was credited back promptly. I think it only took a day max.

Buy.com is the GPU Nazi. No Video card for you! :D

Heck, even the Soup Nazi didn't accept your money and hang onto it for a week. :rolleyes:

This why I am still annoyed. If it was a price mistake why did they send this to me on Thursday.
Important notice of delay regarding your order 1-15-09
Hello Dennis,

We are writing to let you know that we are experiencing a delay in being able to fulfill one or more items on your order #45029xxx. We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause you.

The item(s) affected by this backorder notification are:

Order #45029xxx

sku: 208290483
description: EVGA GeForce GTX 280 SSC 1GB GDDR3 512-bit PCI-E SLI Supported Video Card
qty: 1
--------------------------------------------------------

Check your gift certificate balance, it will show $0 now. It went through, it's just that Buy.com's system sucks so bad you'd think it didn't.

Oh, and ignore anything buy.com says in non-generic personal emails or conversations.

I'll just check my credit card statement and if its not what I expect then citibank can deal with the idiots at buy.com...I am done with them.

In what Bizzaro world is the CONSUMER at fault for Buy.com selling MULTIPLE brands of cards at MULTIPLE venues that are IN STOCK at the time of purchase, and not fulfilling the order? Some of you guys say it's OUR FAULT for believing that Buy.com is selling what they SAY they are selling?
Let me get this straight, it's OUR fault for buying the card? Amazing, some of you guys must
work for Buy.com. In YOUR twisted world, any retailer can SAY something is on sale, then renege at any time they want, without repercussion?
Buy.com is laughing at us, "sure, let's just tell them it was a 'pricing mistake', they won't do anything, they will even bicker amongst themselves!" I guess we should all bend over and just take it, huh? That why these retailer do this stuff, because they think they CAN. I am a little worried that anyone would imply this is "Our fault" somehow, for what.....believing Buy.com? This is Bad Business, and you don't reward Bad Business.

That's EXACTLY what I was getting at. And I would be 100% PISSED OFF if I were you. Now we're getting to the truth of the matter.

But you MUST realize. If you order again, KNOWING this and having experienced Buy.com's favorite kind of poo to give its customers, then it will be YOUR FAULT.

You've learned. You've bought. You've been hosed. If you go out and buy from them again, it will be your fault. Don't be stupid. Learn. I almost pulled the trigger. Something in my head knew they were going to cry "Pricing error! Pricing error!" But the part of me that wanted a 280 for $200 bux said, "How can it be an error if three different models have similar pricing right now?"

That was the stupid "It's such a good deal" part of me speaking. I'm glad I listened to the sensible part of me that remembered every single buying experience from the past (except one or two that I dead receive without hassle.)

If it's a cheap item like a 10 dollar gift card, that's one thing. But to gamble with $200+ and have to waste all the time dealing with these morons.

DON'T buy from them again. Now you've witnessed first hand. They don't honor their end of written contracts. The don't stock what they sell, and they don't sell things for the prices they advertise. Just call my credit card company and ask them how legit they think Buy.com is.

That's EXACTLY what I was getting at. And I would be 100% PISSED OFF if I were you. Now we're getting to the truth of the matter.

But you MUST realize. If you order again, KNOWING this and having experienced Buy.com's favorite kind of poo to give its customers, then it will be YOUR FAULT.

You've learned. You've bought. You've been hosed. If you go out and buy from them again, it will be your fault. Don't be stupid. Learn. I almost pulled the trigger. Something in my head knew they were going to cry "Pricing error! Pricing error!" But the part of me that wanted a 280 for $200 bux said, "How can it be an error if three different models have similar pricing right now?"

That was the stupid "It's such a good deal" part of me speaking. I'm glad I listened to the sensible part of me that remembered every single buying experience from the past (except one or two that I dead receive without hassle.)

If it's a cheap item like a 10 dollar gift card, that's one thing. But to gamble with $200+ and have to waste all the time dealing with these morons.

DON'T buy from them again. Now you've witnessed first hand. They don't honor their end of written contracts. The don't stock what they sell, and they don't sell things for the prices they advertise. Just call my credit card company and ask them how legit they think Buy.com is.

I've got my card but I ordered several things from buy.com recently. Other people here also got their cards and I wonder if buy.com was just rewarding recent customers and turning down new customers who were obviously in just for this 1 card deal.

My buy.com account is about 2 years old, and I got my card.
Although some people have accounts from 2003 and had their orders cancelled.

I so agree. Well said.

I've got my card but I ordered several things from buy.com recently. Other people here also got their cards and I wonder if buy.com was just rewarding recent customers and turning down new customers who were obviously in just for this 1 card deal.

I don't think that's the case at all. You just got lucky.

You make the '1 card deal' sound dirty. As if some of use were doing something shady. Business is business and my money is just as green as yours. Everyone is a first time customer at some point. This is the crowd you cater to so that they can become long time customers.

Meh, from the looks of it more then half of the people who went for the deal were first time buy.com customers, so...

You make the '1 card deal' sound dirty. As if some of use were doing something shady. Business is business and my money is just as green as yours. Everyone is a first time customer at some point. This is the crowd you cater to so that they can become long time customers.

Actually, my money was about 10 shades lighter than non first time buy.com customers.

I've been buying from them for a while, didn't get it. It really was just a lottery, no apparent reason why they selected some orders over others.

Why do I keep reading this post? It's a hard habit to break... nothing new here:

Some people got cards
Some people got refunds
Some people can't get the $5 to work
Some people won't ever Buy.com again
Some people are trolling

eol

Meh, from the looks of it more then half of the people who went for the deal were first time buy.com customers, so...

Its funny all these people screaming buy.com = shady, yet most of these people created multiple accounts to use the "first-time buyers" coupon. They are either hypocrites, or they deluded themselves into thinking it was fine to be a repeat "first-time" customer. People whos been on this forum for years, and yet this happens to be their "first" order with buy.com. Yea right...
I don't hear buy.com complaining about all these leeches

Here we go with the conspiracy theories. I was a first time customer...get over it. They do exist! *ooooweeeeeooooo*

I was considered a first time customer too because the coupon worked for me, but I've definitely ordered things from there before.

Here we go with the conspiracy theories. I was a first time customer...get over it. They do exist! *ooooweeeeeooooo*

Get over what? I have nothing to get over. I didn't get my card either. But I'm not screaming there's malfeasance going on at buy.com

Some people have a hard time believing this incident was an honest mistake. I have a hard time believing that many of the "first-time buyer" coupon redemptions were legit.

Good times. Used my 5$ gift card from this deal on the XFX HD4830 they had the other day, that also showed in stock, and I just received a back order email....

Well, as far as the "card lottery" goes, I don't think there was a rhyme or reason as to why some people got cards and others did not. I see that some long time customers got cards, and also some new buyers.
I see that some early buyers got cards, and also some late comers. I do think that if they filled SOME orders, they could have filled them all. Heck, I would have even waited until the damn things
were back in stock. Basically, I hate to loose!

Back