[H]ot Newegg Plextor M3 128GB/256GB $99.99/$199.99 shipped AR

Bit! The Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 seem to be in a bit of a downward-spiraling price war while this one was genuinely a steal (vs. $20 off the regular price of the others, etc.) so I caved. Hopefully the others will continue to decline in price so I can pick one of each up and compare.

I got 128GB Plextor and it should arrive today? That DHL shipping is slow. 3 days from NJ to Upstate NY. UPS Ground takes one day. Go figure.

Bit! The Crucial M4 and Samsung 830 seem to be in a bit of a downward-spiraling price war while this one was genuinely a steal (vs. $20 off the regular price of the others, etc.) so I caved. Hopefully the others will continue to decline in price so I can pick one of each up and compare.

Yeah, I saw the 256 GB Samsung 830 on sale for $200 on Tiger Direct yesterday. The Samsung is better, but in TX, TD charges tax whereas NE doesn't. I hope the price war continues at this pace. :cool:

I got 128GB Plextor and it should arrive today? That DHL shipping is slow. 3 days from NJ to Upstate NY. UPS Ground takes one day. Go figure.

Be glad UPS ground isn't delivering to you. They dropped the ball on me. Supposed to be delivered 6/6/12. End of today, still no drive. UPS site says "out for delivery". Called again today and they said must be lost! Rebate ended yesterday. Had to file claim with Newegg to get refund. Went out and ordered the Sandisk extreme from Amazon instead for $180 shipped.

Received mine. Threw it in a USB dock to admire it's non-DOA state and downloaded firmware. It requires residence on a SATA port to flash and I didn't feel like taking the time. On the Plextor forum it appears flashing requires burning a boot CD/USB with firmware ISO integrated somehow. Here is the M3 firmware page Looks to be 1.05 and sure to be entertaining.

There is a "Plextool" for Windows so I wonder if it simply constructs the CD or if it has other magical qualities beyond informing you of the current firmware version on the drive. I don't know because that download portion of the forum can only be accessed by registered members for which you need your serial number which does not now reside at my location. I love all this top secret mystery. What would computer peripherals be without cloak and dagger intrigue.

I did download the tool from some other hacking location but of course my drive was not on a SATA connection so the Toolmiester refused to move another step. This all reminds me of Fujitsu scanners and their top secret 64 bit drivers that you had to apply for in triplicate and submit permission from you mother. Then they would send you a covert time limited code for downloading. Explain to me why someone without a Fujitsu scanner would want to download the code. I can't wait to get my hands on all that valuable software on the Plextor site. Maybe I could make money selling my serial number for log ins. Could it be that we are keeping Plextool out of space alien hands?
pniLO.jpg

Last edited:
I don't use the Plextool. For firmware update you need to burn the firmware to disk and boot it.

I don't use the Plextool. For firmware update you need to burn the firmware to disk and boot it.
Just got mine from Newegg, might just do the firmware update before I load it with anything. Came shipped with FW 1.01.

Back