[H]ot SC420 w/ FREE UPGRADE to Intel® P4 2.8G and $5 80GB SATA upgrade = $304

DevilDoc

2[H]4U
Options dujour:

FREE UPGRADE to Intel® Pentium®4 processor, 520, 2.8GHz,1MB Cache
50 Percent off the upgrade to 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard [add $5]

Link to the Dell SBS SC420 deal start page. Be sure to add the Free P4 520 Upgrade as well as the 80GB SATA upgrade for fydolla

~Doc

edit: The above, plus 2 x 512MB DDR2 from SJetski71's latest Hot Deal would make a bad little server

edit2: SC420 Unofficial FAQ: aaltonen SC420 FAQ All questions regarding this system are probably already answered there.

Edit 3: Driver References:
Broadcom Manuf. site link - use "BCM57xx Drivers"on this page.
Alternate NIC Driver source - Dell Network Drivers: Broadcom NetXtreme Family of Adapters
Video Drivers for Intel® E7221 Chipset Integrated Video
Intel® E7221 Chipset Installation Software

Edit4: aaltonen thread regarding PCIe video card upgrade here: Aaltonen SC420 PCI-E Video Thread

400+whpwrx said:
its a 5 dollar upgrade to the 80gb drive :)

"50 Percent off the upgrade to 80GB, Serial ATA, 1 inch, 7.2K RPM, Hard [add $5]"

They added that sometime between between 1am and now. I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on this deal.

~Doc

god i know.. its killing me man.. KILLING ME

i need to get a damn kvm and a 12u rack for my desk first tho...

tired of having 4 pc cases and 6u's worth of crap on my desk...

400+whpwrx said:
god i know.. its killing me man.. KILLING ME

i need to get a damn kvm and a 12u rack for my desk first tho...

tired of having 4 pc cases and 6u's worth of crap on my desk...

The thing that kills me most is I've got a drive storage issue in my current case. A 74GB boot raptor, 5 x 120's hooked up to a raid card w/ 18in cables, plus 1 120GB for backing up the boot partition = A effing lot of space taken up in my enermax midtower. So Friday I bought & paid for:
  • Cooler Master CM Stacker
  • extra 4-in-3 Bay Module
  • Cross Flow Fan
  • Windowed Side Panel
  • 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

It's on it's way via UPS ground as we speak. If it hadn't shipped already I'd cancel it, buy this deal, and slap my 5x120s + Raidcard in the SC420.

As for your KVM issue, well when I run multiple boxen at my shack I just set up a remote desktop on the box to be administrated and then just run it headless. A cheap PS/2 Belkin KVM shouldn't run too much on ebay or otherwise, unless you want more than a 2 or 4 port.

great deal and it keeps getting better.. im just waiting on the 3.4ghz procs to come down 75$ or more.

DevilDoc said:
The thing that kills me most is I've got a drive storage issue in my current case. A 74GB boot raptor, 5 x 120's hooked up to a raid card w/ 18in cables, plus 1 120GB for backing up the boot partition = A effing lot of space taken up in my enermax midtower. So Friday I bought & paid for:
  • Cooler Master CM Stacker
  • extra 4-in-3 Bay Module
  • Cross Flow Fan
  • Windowed Side Panel
  • 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

It's on it's way via UPS ground as we speak. If it hadn't shipped already I'd cancel it, buy this deal, and slap my 5x120s + Raidcard in the SC420.

As for your KVM issue, well when I run multiple boxen at my shack I just set up a remote desktop on the box to be administrated and then just run it headless. A cheap PS/2 Belkin KVM shouldn't run too much on ebay or otherwise, unless you want more than a 2 or 4 port.

Yeah i am going to have to run several headless as well, still irritating tho. and webmin is irritating.. and well I LIKE PRETTY GUIS!! haha

need that damn 12u portable rack tho..

I personally would wait. I bought 2 when they had them for 229 or whatever, and then just not long ago they had them with the 2.8 for $268 or something.... just wait, it will be back.

cybertron said:
I personally would wait. I bought 2 when they had them for 229 or whatever, and then just not long ago they had them with the 2.8 for $268 or something.... just wait, it will be back.

Yeah, I saw the exact deal you ref'd to, and am hoping it comes around soon. I want/need a new spare boxen to do my 2K3 cert study labs on. I always prefer having a box I can use as a guineapig.

DevilDoc said:
Yeah, I saw the exact deal you ref'd to, and am hoping it comes around soon. I want/need a new spare boxen to do my 2K3 cert study labs on. I always prefer having a box I can use as a guineapig.

yeah, exactly. these machines make awesome desktops as well, i mean you cant go wrong for the money. do that pci mod or whatever it is and add some ram and you're set.

Didnt the SC420 used to be $229? I bought one before Christmas and it was only $229+tax+sh.

kleptophobiac said:
there != their != they're
your != you're
quiet != quite ([H] favorite)

welcome to the G.N.A.
Or should it be AoNG?
heh - say it out loud.... ayongggggg ayonnnggggggg... </beavis>

edit: Damn I must be dyslexic. Should be AoGN. Back to the caffiene.

doormat said:
Didnt the SC420 used to be $229? I bought one before Christmas and it was only $229+tax+sh.

Yes, but that was p4 2.53 Celeron, 256MB, 160GB s-ata

the p4 2.8 was a $99 upgrade

the 229 deal was better, because you could have gotten p4 2.8 + 256mb + 160gb sata for $328 + shipping

Malogato said:
the 229 deal was better, because you could have gotten p4 2.8 + 256mb + 160gb sata for $328 + shipping

I thought it was 80GB SATA...? Oh well. I got the 2.8, 512, and 80 gb hdd shipped to my door for $348.

workingnonstop said:
haha, I have the one I see most often in my sig :p

Nice. Looks like we should be printing up membership cards. :D I shudder when I see simple things spelled incorrectly and simple grammatic errors.

Malogato said:
Yes, but that was p4 2.53 Celeron, 256MB, 160GB s-ata

the p4 2.8 was a $99 upgrade

There is no such thing as a "p4 2.53 Celeron." Just thought I'd let you know! :D

Deal I got was 2x256mb (free double memory) with Celly 325J for $229. That was in january.

Anyone know where I can score a 10% off Dell SB coupon or $25/$35 off Dell SB coupon?

Nuc_E said:
Ebay. Will cost you about $3.
Figured that was the easiest way, I just don't have $3 in my paypal right now. Seems like it would be rather dick-ish to do a CC-paypal for a $3 coupon. :D

Back