H50 and Noctua cooling solution

Vonteme

Weaksauce
Is this a good solution?

Noctua NF-P12 for taking out the air from the radiator and Noctua NF-S12B ULN for blowing the air towards the radiator.

Or is it better to have 2x Noctua NF-P12 ?

If your are attaching both fans to the rad, in the commonly used Push/Pull arrangement it is generally regarded as best to have both fans the same for a lot of reasons. As to one vs the other, I dont know as I have not used those fans.

I would suggest it depends on your OCing needs, my rule of thumb is that one can always turn down a powerful fan with a speed controller etc. to reduce the noise but you cannot turn up an underpowered fan to increase the cooling.

In an effort to edumacate myself I found this excellent info on the fans
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=nf_s12_p12_comparison&lng=en

Very good info. And to me, (and you are not me and be glad ) it appears this sums it up pretty good.

While the NF-S12B delivers less static pressure, it provides a better airflow/noise ratio. Therefore, it's perfectly suited for case ventilation as well as all applications which don't demand high static pressure and where maximum quietness is the first priority. The NF-P12 on the other hand provides a better pressure/noise ratio and should therefore be the first choice for all applications which demand high static pressure such as CPU cooling.

With a rad and its pretty decent resistance to airflow due to the closely spaced fins etc. the P12 would be the way to go if the fan is attached to the rad.

If the second fan is to be used for a case fan and not in a push pull attached directly to the rad then I think you have got it exactly right. P12 for the rad and the S12 for a case fan.

after that and if you are going push pull - it depends, if quiet is the primary concern 2xS12 will do but might result in a little higher temps than with 2xP12 but so what. A few 100MHz of lost OC will not kill you and you can hear yourself think. If all you are worried about is max OC for performance go 2xP12.

Both fans seem to have quiet as at least a secondary design goal and you can use the motherboards temp control features to keep the fans quiet until you crank up the cpu load.

Anyway, just some thoughts, seem like excellent fans either way you go and it all about what exactly YOU are trying to acheive/live with. So in closing all that really matters is you match them up if you are putting both of them on the rad in push/pull. After that its your call as to cooling vs. noise.

Back