H80i Lifespan?

ArrowMk84

Limp Gawd
I currently have an H80i cooler that's about 4 years old working quite well. I'm planning on upgrading to a 6700k soon, and I'm wondering if I count on the H80i lasting for a few more years, or if I should replace it as part of my upgrade.

Pumps and fans are mechanical systems, and that's what's going to fail if/when anything does.

I don't have a lot of data on the Corsair pumps in particular, but in my experience generic fans and pumps have pretty similar failure rates, and 5-10 years is about it for either one.

That being said - the cooler isn't that hard to replace, and it's very obvious when it starts to have trouble (it will make a lot of noise and/or your temps will spike and you'll throttle a lot), and they aren't too hard to pull out. I'd just run it until it has problems.

My H60 has been chugging away for over 3 years now, maybe 4 years, and runs 24/7.
I'd use that H80i if it's still working good.

Normally pumps don't fail all at once and you have some warning, like a grinding noise. I just replaced my nearly 5-year old H80, the pump bearings started to grind making an annoying noise. I bought a bequiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro, which is dead quiet and actually outperforms the H80.

If it were me, I'd probably pick up a new heatsink. But you're not that likely to kill the chip if you don't. Even if the pump fails entirely, as long as it doesn't leak you've still got Intel's 100C thermal shutdown ceiling.

5 year H80 owner here; I leave my system on 24/7 except when I'm on vacation. Still no problems, temps under load are still the same as when I first bought it.

I have a friend that has an H60 going on 4 years. My H80i is going on two years. Both are mostly ran 24 hrs/day.

They seem pretty reliable.

If anything at all the most likely part to fail would be something with the pump. You'd trip a thermal protection and your computer would turn off. In that case, the worst thing you could lose would be some unsaved work or game data.

My guess is the pump. Most of these AIO coolers are manufactured as cheap as possible. Also they mix copper blocks with aluminum rads, and glycol can only slow corrosion that much.

Recently grabbed the H100i GTX for my Xeon and was wondering on the lifespan myself. Can't say I've read about too many cases of these failing under normal use.

Had an H100 ran it for 4 years straight never a problem.
Also had an H60 that ran for 2 years straight not a problem. Sold both and went to custom water cooling though.

I'm loving my H60 so far, but it's only been running about 3 weeks.. Hopefully I can check back here in a few years and say it's still running strong.. Keep on pumping the coolness!!

Had a H100 die after 2.5 years, and two H80s stop working after 2 years. They weren't the newer "i" versions, but I've sworn off AIO's and have gone BIG air cooled and the only thing that could be better is getting back PCIE slot 1 that gets covered up.

Have a H80 that's been running strong for about 4 years now. Its changed hand's once and gone through three computer upgrades (New Thermal Paste on each upgrade obviously) Still cooling as well as it did when it was new.

get
I'm loving my H60 so far, but it's only been running about 3 weeks.. Hopefully I can check back here in a few years and say it's still running strong.. Keep on pumping the coolness!!
lol necro coming in 2020.

edit: and as long as the pump does not die you can easily refurb these to get more life/upgrade them if you handy like that.

Last edited:
Back