Hacker Gets 17 – 25 Years in Prison

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you get for orchestrating the largest credit card theft in U.S. history? 17 to 25 years in prison, that’s what.

Gonzalez entered a guilty plea in U.S. District Court in Boston on Tuesday in a case involving unauthorized access to computers of Maine-based Hannaford supermarkets and other retailers. He pleaded guilty in September to charges from two other retailer-hacking cases. Plea agreements call for Gonzalez to serve 17 to 25 years in prison. Sentencing is scheduled for March.

17-25 isn't really necessary. A year of getting his ass hacked and I think he'll have learned his lesson.

Theft is pretty low on the scale of crimes in the world; particularly since the union enforcing the crimes is one of the most criminal of all.

Yea a guy I know raped and killed a woman and got 8 years and came out after 3 for good behavior. Granted it was the state of California and not Massachusetts.

Guess they are sending a message here.

Cagey

If I was Police or whatever, I'd take good use of him, make him sign a contract to help work for a security company and catch hackers and put his talent to good use, like they did 10-14 years ago with Kevin Mitnick, Gary Poulsen and the other 3 known hackers at the time.

Thank god this criminal is of the streets and living in a 65k a year home for 17 years. Justice has been served at our expense once again!

I don't see an issue with this. Steal millions and go to jail. I wish that the white collar Enron types did as much time for their crimes that netted them millions as well. I also wish the violent criminals, (rapists, murderers, etc.), stayed in jail as long or were removed from existence. But, we don't always get what we want, so we take what we can get.

If I was Police or whatever, I'd take good use of him, make him sign a contract to help work for a security company and catch hackers and put his talent to good use, like they did 10-14 years ago with Kevin Mitnick, Gary Poulsen and the other 3 known hackers at the time.

That is just a retarded idea. There are plenty of people in the security industry that have plenty of knowledge in the area that didn't steal a few million credit cards for personal profit.

This guy caused direct damage to many people and millions in losses to company, he got exactly what he deserves.

Thank god this criminal is of the streets and living in a 65k a year home for 17 years. Justice has been served at our expense once again!

Maybe they can swap him for the English fellow, oh wait they are already going to pay 65k a year and have him shipped to the US of A for safe keeping Because the British prisons aren't as luxurious. The USA taxpayers are quite generous when it comes to bringing and keeping software pirates into the prison system of this country. God bless them one and all. I bet the British taxpayers would be willing to send more of their criminals if you were to ask nicely, now that the door has been opened.:D

17-25 years seems like a bit much, it's not like he killed anyone...

Bzzz...
Kevin was a genius programmer, and he got hired into a field to counter the exact things that were similar to what he created.

This guy, on the other hand, is just like Bernie Madoff...

This term is excessive because he is not dangerous and also not very many people, relatively speaking, are stealing credit cards.

Now if this article had read, Feds rounding up confirmed software pirates and putting them away for 10+ years then I would approve.

There should be some fear when people go and download things illegally (as you can tell I absolutely hate software pirates).

Well this is what you get when the government doesn't truly understand computers... excessive sentences just to scare off any potential hackers, since they know they can't really catch the majority of them with free wifi everywhere.

At least they didn't kill the man.

Smart enough to hack and steal....to dumb to think of the consequences. He got what what he was entitled to.

didn't the guy who hacked the nasa computers back a couple of years ago claim he had aspergers too? pretty rare for almost every hacker to have autism dont you think?

While I don't have a shred of sympathy for this guy. I have to admit it is a little disturbing that people who have committed violent crimes have gotten far less time then this.

While I don't have a shred of sympathy for this guy. I have to admit it is a little disturbing that people who have committed violent crimes have gotten far less time then this.

And there are people that have committed violent crimes that have received far more than this....

what kind of plea agreement is that? too bad he didnt stash away some money for a decent lawyer

This idiot was already "working with" law enforcement on cyber security. That's where he got the idea to go make real money.

He should have been shot while trying to escape. Save us the $$ prosecuting him.

Meantime the REAL criminal here was TJX and other corporations who's criminaly negligent lack of security put the private data of thier customers at such risk.

The penalty should have been 2 years of credit watch @ $79/yr times the 70 million consumers who were put at risk... or $11.2 BILLION fine... more than the net worth of TJX.

Meaning... the Corporate Death Penalty. The shareholders lose everything, the employees are all fired, and the stores are all boarded up. End of story.

None of this type of lax negligent security will end until a real lesson is learned and real penalties are paid.

Back