Hackers Scoff at iPhone 3GS' Hardware Encryption

HardOCP News

[H] News
It seems that some hackers do not think much of Apple’s iPhone 3GS hardware encryption and claim they have never seen encryption implemented so poorly before.

Problem is, hackers are apparently having a field day with it, rendering it useless in all but name. One iPhone dev (who teaches courses on pulling data off iPhones, coincidentally) goes so far to say that he doesn't "think any of us have ever seen encryption implemented so poorly before," noting that it's no more difficult for him to pull data off a 3GS than it is off an encryption-free 3G.

Now then, where's all the Apple fanboys that were citing this as a reason that it was ready to compete with RIM????

Now then, where's all the Apple fanboys that were citing this as a reason that it was ready to compete with RIM????

What's even better is that those are in the Reality Distortion Field are trying to justify this. LMAO

Man some of the comments on Wired are just down right hilarious.

Bottom line is this is a big problem. I don't care who it was. It could be any phone manufacturer and I'd still say it's a big problem and needs to be corrected.

WTF didn't they just use standardized AES implementation or something? Geez.. obviously they don't want to be taken seriously in the enterprise market.

Note, this is the guy who figured out that the iPhone takes a screen cap everytime you hit the home button to create that nifty fade effect and then figured out how to pull those screen caps out of the system folder. The iPhone has some amazing security flaws.

Note, this is the guy who figured out that the iPhone takes a screen cap everytime you hit the home button to create that nifty fade effect and then figured out how to pull those screen caps out of the system folder. The iPhone has some amazing security flaws.

Amazing what happens when you hire your staff based on how many morons they can attract with a shiny object rather then actual skill.

Again- glitz over functionality and security. That's why I don't think Apple could ever compete with Microsoft (in the OS arena) or RIM (in the cellular arena).

10,000,000 people tested Windows 7. Shit like this gets found out and discovered during testing.
Due to Apple's ridiculous need to have everything secret, they end up shipping the security flaws right out the door into the wild.

HA! So much for the "It just works" moniker that I hear from the mouths of Apple cultists... I mean zionists.. I mean owners.

"It just works... meaning all your script kiddie tools and exploits, that is..." :D

thank goodness pure apple fan boys are few and far between on this board. I enjoy my iphone, but it is so far from being perfect (but I still enjoy it more than other phones). As for business I think its safe to say that most of apple's products are not really ready for the business world.

So now apple can claim its illegal if you hack your own phone - cause it is encryped and you had to break the encryption to do it...... Thus... again trying to make it illegal.

Larry.

Hey, even I find this funny. The odd thing in the article is that he complains about how the remote wipe requires data to be active, and then praises MS in the same breath as RIM. RIM yes, Microsoft NO, as apple basically uses active sync for the remote wipe feature, windows mobile phones have the same flaw and none of the consumer ones have any sort of encryption on device unless they made that default in WM 6.1 or something.

RIM is the clear leader in security, hell it is good enough for the US pres it must be good.

The Blackberry that the President uses is not consumer level hardware, not even close, and heavily modified by the Secret Service to enhance the operation way beyond what even hardcore hackers could accomplish with one.

It's ain't something you can buy, I assure you. and the enhancements had nothing to do with RIM except for some consultation. Once the mods were completed, even RIM wasn't allowed to mess with it anymore... :D

"Due to Apple's ridiculous need to have everything secret, they end up shipping the security flaws right out the door into the wild."

Right, that's how they sell their stuff. Hide all the bad crap, and when people find out, it's already too late. They've already spent a ton of money.

The Blackberry that the President uses is not consumer level hardware, not even close, and heavily modified by the Secret Service to enhance the operation way beyond what even hardcore hackers could accomplish with one.

It's ain't something you can buy, I assure you. and the enhancements had nothing to do with RIM except for some consultation. Once the mods were completed, even RIM wasn't allowed to mess with it anymore... :D

Sorry but i call BULLSHIT

I'm in the USAF and i work in comms... We use ALOT of consumer products.. and one is RIM...

Yes there are mods to it because of DOD standards...But to go and say you can't buy these is pure bull shit..

Why should Apple know anything about enterprise situations? Does any enterprise in the world have a sizeable amount of Apple machines deployed? Besides Apple that is lol.

They've been trying to get the iPhone into enterprises (exchange integration, remote wipe, "encryption).

Their marketing is obviously better then their implementation.

Speaking of Apple and there iphone...the DOD laughs at the iphone.. hell they laugh at apple in general..

Apple is not ready for Enterprise class or even Government class...

[RIP]Zeus;1034395878 said:
Sorry but i call BULLSHIT

I'm in the USAF and i work in comms... We use ALOT of consumer products.. and one is RIM...

Yes there are mods to it because of DOD standards...But to go and say you can't buy these is pure bull shit..

I'd ditto that one too. There's nothing inherently magical about what the federal government is using. I can do the same things if the Officers in the company want to spend the money on it.

Granted there isn't much use in my business (Just general correspondence, nothing top-secret) but it can still be done.

Hey, even I find this funny. The odd thing in the article is that he complains about how the remote wipe requires data to be active, and then praises MS in the same breath as RIM. RIM yes, Microsoft NO, as apple basically uses active sync for the remote wipe feature, windows mobile phones have the same flaw and none of the consumer ones have any sort of encryption on device unless they made that default in WM 6.1 or something.

RIM is the clear leader in security, hell it is good enough for the US pres it must be good.

There are WM apps available that will remote wipe via SMS.

They turned it into a feature! If you hold the power button the press the home button, it makes a camera sound, does the white flash and takes a screenshot of the screen. I found this accidentally when I saw a lot of images from the phone in the camera roll. I think they introduces this in the 2.0 update. I was puzzled for a while until I found the little text about it in some press release.

Back