HAF 922 and H100i Airflow question

ceolstan

Weaksauce
My recent rig is now made better by a Corsair H100i. As per instructions, I installed it at the top of the case, with the fans as intake fans. Since there was a 200mm fan on the top, I repositioned it on the side of the case as an exhaust fan. Outside of the 200mm fan on the front, I have no other fans running. My questions are as follows:

1. What configuration will give me the best airflow to keep my temperatures down?
2. Should I add a 120mm to the back of the case as an exhaust fan?
3. Since the HAF 922 is built like a sieve, can I get any kind of really good airflow?

My build is a Gigabyte GA-z87-OC, i5 4770K, Asus R280x in the first slot (i.e. closest to the cpu), Corsair H100i. Corsair 650W PSU, Kingston 120G SSD, WD Blue 1T HD, and of course the HAF 922.

Thanks!

I have a 922 and an H60, but I set my fans up a little bit differently.

I have the stock fan intake in the front, the 200 on top as exhaust, another 200 on the side as exhaust, and the H60 in the back as exhaust. From what I've learned from firefighting training and other damage control training while a submariner in the Navy, setting up airflow in a space to evacuate the most air at a time, it's more efficient (more air is moved) to have more exhaust than intake.

If it were me, I would have mounted the H100i the other way around, with the fans in an exhaust setup, even though that would mean warmer air going into the radiator, it would mean more cool air being drawn into the case via other means.

So this is how I would do your setup:
Front as intake (remember that a lot of air will be drawn in through the front of the HAF 922, and not just with the front fan)
Top (H100i) as exhaust
Side (200) as exhaust
Back (120) as exhaust

Luckily, you can set it up how you want to and see what temps you get, and then reverse the H100i pretty easily to see how it works the other way around.

Go run Intel burn Test on the H100i. /then come tell me what your temperatures was. Then you will know what you need to do.

Back