Half Life 2-Worth the wait?

MapleSyrupMods

Bring on Titan X Volta
Ok, well after waiting forever, Valve making up things because they werent finished it yet, delayed release after delayed release after delayed release, does the gameplay and the fact that its out now, make up for it? After I get my copy in a couple hours I will make up my mind
Discuss.

ATI9700Pro said:
Ok, well after waiting forever, Valve making up things because they werent finished it yet, delayed release after delayed release after delayed release, does the gameplay and the fact that its out now, make up for it? After I get my copy in a couple hours I will make up my mind
Discuss.
There was only one delayed release...

I am a better person because I played Half-life. I may have seriously warped my own children while playing it. But it was all worth it.

Half-life 2 is simply the best game I have ever played. I had to force myself to go to sleep (even then I had dreams of flaming barrels of death helicoptors of great pain and ofcourse hords of those creapy security dudes) so I could go to work. Man work is for wimps give me HL2!!

Guess I have to wait 8 more hours to play some more. :(

I got up at 3AM EST to play on it's opening and all I got to do was throw boxes at combine soliders so far because I had to go to school but I can already tell it's going to be the best game I've ever played...

trader28 said:
Anyone know where a NOcd is yet?

That's a good way to get this thread locked, buddy.

Then again, after you install you can ditch the CDs. Steam will handle it all from there.

I woke up this morning, got it activated, started it up, and played with the options and settings! It was exciting :D

Then I got ready to go to work :(

A nocd patch is already included in every copy of HL2. It's cleverly named Steam.exe

this game is increadible.. i have never had such an imersive experince in a game.. ever.

I am totaly wasted today from lack of sleep.. i am counting the hours till i get home and run it .. i will kiss the Mrs. and hug the little one and head back into city 17 and run for my life..

woah..

Dijonase said:
Then again, after you install you can ditch the CDs. Steam will handle it all from there.
I wonder how that works? Because I like to play at work sometimes. I hope it doesn't lock it to your PC. I'll have my copy as soon as GameStop opens!!

Lamont said:
I wonder how that works? Because I like to play at work sometimes. I hope it doesn't lock it to your PC. I'll have my copy as soon as GameStop opens!!

I'm pretty sure you can have it on multiple machines, but I really can't say for sure. I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. If anything they might only allow one to be online at a time, or something like that.

trader28 said:
Anyone know where a NOcd is yet?
yea, lets not get this locked, everyones opinion really matters, cause this will make the decisions of lots of people and also they can post what they think.

Awsome game! Even better than I expected, and I had VERY high expectations. BUY this game now.

And for you Halo 2 punks out there. This game kicks the hell out of Halo 2 single player, which I've finished. (it was soo boring) I've only played 1 hr of Half Life 2 and I'm already addicted and dreaming about it. Rock on Valve!

Once you activated HL2 on your newly created/current account on Steam, it doesn't matter where you go. If there's a computer with Steam and the Half-Life 2 cache files, you can play on it. Your copy of HL2 is tied to whatever Steam account you used to activate the game.

Lock the thread anyways, the only answer you're going to hear is YES

Why are we wasting time on this thread.... Hl2 is waiting for us...

Lamont said:

I have it on two machines. One at work and one at home. Works great! I have the Steam bought copy.

Soujiro said:
Once you activated HL2 on your newly created/current account on Steam, it doesn't matter where you go. If there's a computer with Steam and the Half-Life 2 cache files, you can play on it. Your copy of HL2 is tied to whatever Steam account you used to activate the game.
I'm just buying it retail from the shop, do I have to sign up with steam to activate it? and if so what about reselling it when i'm bored? is that possible?

Soujiro said:
so what your saying is i could install it on 6 computers, but cant play it till i use my steam acct? also, whats your fps in the game?

diamond back just came in this morning, even better to play hl2 now, 2 hours and counting till i go buy it :)

trader28 said:
I'm just buying it retail from the shop, do I have to sign up with steam to activate it? and if so what about reselling it when i'm bored? is that possible?

if you re-sell it, your account would have to go with it, as it tires directly to it.

if you re-sell it, your account would have to go with it, as it tires directly to it.

Uh.... Your Steam account is specific to EACH game that uses Steam?

Ok, time to expose even more ignorance here: Why would I ever bother installing Steam?

There is a CompUSA near my house, and I'm going to pick up a copy of HL2 on the way home from work. Why would I install a program that eats up resources and bandwitdh? Yeah, not needing your play CD is handy, but of course there are simpler ways around that...

Outside of not adding packaging and physical media to the solid waste stream (eventually), whats the point?

-Dr.K

Dr.Khron said:
Uh.... Your Steam account is specific to EACH game that uses Steam?

Ok, time to expose even more ignorance here: Why would I ever bother installing Steam?

There is a CompUSA near my house, and I'm going to pick up a copy of HL2 on the way home from work. Why would I install a program that eats up resources and bandwitdh? Yeah, not needing your play CD is handy, but of course there are simpler ways around that...

Outside of not adding packaging and physical media to the solid waste stream (eventually), whats the point?

-Dr.K

You would bother installing it since it's required.

Since apparently you need Steam to run this....

Will the game even run if you don't have Internet connectivity, such as at a LAN party, or on a plane on my laptop?

Does it even mention Internet connectivity as a system requirement on the box?

you need an internet connection to unlock the game, i would assume you can play it all you want after that

TomL said:
Does it even mention Internet connectivity as a system requirement on the box?

Yes, an internet connection is a requirement, but I think you only need a connection to register the game. After that you can run Steam in offline mode and play without a connection I believe.

Doom 3 was full of eye candy, great surprises and a dark, forboding environment, but it still felt like I was playing a game, or maybe watching a horror movie unfold in front of me. HL2 has me feeling like I am actually there, in the game. The moment I hopped of the train and saw those security thugs and heard level of detail in the sounds I started thinking "WOW". The whole world feels alive. Picking up a bottle and throwing it at the guards, stacking any boxes for leverage, and the only limit is your imagination. I really liked farcry too, but this just seems to take everything to the next level. I can't wait to see what happens next!!!

Dijonase said:
I'm pretty sure you can have it on multiple machines, but I really can't say for sure. I don't see why they wouldn't allow it. If anything they might only allow one to be online at a time, or something like that.

you can play it on any computer so long as it has steam and you know your account logon

i cant wait to play tonight...i already preordered it through steam...got the silver package

30 min, and then in about 2 hours i will give my "official" thoughts. Not like im god or anything that its going to matter :D :rolleyes: , but im going to truly post my thoughts.

LOL, did trader28 get banned? not even out of n00b status and hes out :p ( if this isnt true, then disregard this post)

my first impression was slightly tainted by 2 things ..one being me , was 4:30am when I realized I could unlock the game (was up all nite trying to install xp pro on a dell 120 gig drive ...booo ..and playing nfsu2 while waiting for xp to load and stuff) ..so was dog tired to begin with ... second was prolly due to HL2 not liking the combination of a 6800 ultra oc on the latest 69.?? drivers and refresh force ...so game kept giving errors at first launch and then locked up comp .. installed some beta 67.02's(?) and all was super duper again.

..so that in conjunction with being tired and irritable made my initial impression unimpressionable ..

I'm thinking of just starting over with a good nites sleep under my belt.

game is still cool , but a couple things I noticed that wont prolly be up to snuff physically and graphically until next gen games ..and that is the hand animations and Alyx's nostrils ..they are'nt geniune holes , but rather pictures of holes :(

Back