HALP! BIOS only detects 1 of my HDDs

DirtyDrummer

Weaksauce
Trying to build a new PC but the BIOS won't detect my 150GB 10,000RPM drive.

2nd HD and DVD are detected but not the Raptor.

Tried switching cables, and only using 1 at a time, but same problem.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Well, if it aint the cable, and it aint the power connector, and it aint the socket on the motherboard, and you tried it in another system, it sounds like a dead drive. There are generally no jumpers to play with on Sata drives.

Is it spinning up, and the heads coming loading?

Don

Oh well, it should be under warranty. I would have no problems exchanging it and trusting the new one. They have a very good reliability record, for a hard drive.

Of course your experience is 100 percent failure rate.:mad:

Don

Argh! This really sux. I have my whole PC sitting here, minus the HD I was gonna use for the OS.

That leaves me with 3 options.
A. install OS on slow HD
B. wait for new HD and stare at non working PC for 2 weeks
C. buy new Raptor from Fry's and pay $20 over newegg price

You may want to check the WD web site for RMA instructions. They may cross ship with a credit card. You may get the drive in a few days that way. Just don't forget to return the dead drive.

Don

I already got an RMA from newegg. They charged me a $25 restocking fee. How are they gonna restock something that does not work!?

Problem is I need this HD like yesterday.

Anyway, Best Buy has the same one for $175 and with a 10% off coupon, that brings it down to $157. Just enough to (almost) eat up the restocking fee.

I already got an RMA from newegg. They charged me a $25 restocking fee. How are they gonna restock something that does not work!?

Is that for a straight return, or for a defective exchange? You should not be paying a restocking fee for a defective item. You need to clarify this with them before you ship it out.

If you haven't sent it out yet, check with the WD web site. You may be able to cross ship it for no charge. You can always cancel the RMA with Newegg.

I just looked at Neweggs return policy, and the 150 gig Raptors are covered by their 30 day limited return policy that does NOT include a restocking fee. Did you go through an automated web page, or talk to a person? I know it's not alot of money, but I get a little freaky over businesses screwing over the little guy. ;-)

1 2 3
It wanted 3 more characters to let me post my edit. Weird.

Don

I just went through the auto-webpage. I was planning on calling tomorrow and trying to get it sorted out.

I don't want an exchange, because then I would have to wait for the new HD. I just want a refund.

I'm a starving college student, it is a lot of money. ;)

Thanks for the help, time for zzzzzzzzzzzzz

You can always do the big box store shuffle and buy the drive form BB, and return it next week when you get the replacement in... Not nice, but I have done it in the past. Bad Don, I know.:rolleyes:

Don

Yep, it was dead. New one works just fine.

I thought about doing the BBSS with my CM690...but it passed.

Yea, I got the CM 690 from Microcenter for the 19.95 after rebate. I am so happy with this case. Best one I have ever had by far, and a phenomenal price. I also got the 9.99 500 watt CM power supply.

Did you get the restock fee removed from Newegg?

Don

No, I haven't called newegg yet.

Now the 2nd hard drive isn't visible. I know that one is ok, becuase it was there the other day. Now its just....disappeared!? sigh...

Back