HannsG 28 goin back

PaHick

Gawd
Bought the 28 " HannsG yesterday. Just hooked it up when I got home. Backlight bleed is unreal. I bought this at Best Buy. Can anyone recommend the best 24 " they got? Or at least a 22. I am gonna take this back in about an hour or so. What should I look at? Thanks!

If you're looking for a cheap, but quality TN panel monitor, Samsung is the way to go.

Hanns-G is an ultra budget brand and you have to expect cheapness in the quality control, otherwise they couldn't keep their prices so low.

Price isnt a problem, within reason. I have a 19 in Samsung and am happy with it. I just wanted something bigger, and it seems most people were happy with the HannsG 28" . The size is perfect. But I cant live with the backlight issue. Im on BB site right now. The FHD2400 doesnt look too bad. But neither does the HP w2408. Just lookin for some input,I wanna head up there in a bit and grab something else.

For gaming, I've heard good things about the Samsung 226BW and 226CW. If you want a 24" though.... not sure :p

You guys are no help at all :p JK!! Ok , who knows what ill end up with. Im headin out.

Ok, just got back. Exchanged the HannsG for a Gateway FHD2400. Ill have to get used to the glossy screen, but so far im happy. The stand sits high, I can see im going to have to rearrange my desk a bit.

NKDietrich and Citizen86....I looked at the Samsung and it had some backlight bleeding also. I thought I was going to have to live with it. Then they plugged in the FHD2400. Still a little, but not even close to the other two. Thanks for the suggestion though. Also looked at the Westinghouse, dont know if it was setup wrong or not, but it looked like total crap. Again, thanks.

^ Have you read the thread on the Gateway FHD2400? According to the majority of owners there is a problem with progressive BLB, even though the monitor starts out with very little. Just thought I'd give you some warning.

^ Have you read the thread on the Gateway FHD2400? According to the majority of owners there is a problem with progressive BLB, even though the monitor starts out with very little. Just thought I'd give you some warning.

Yes I did, thanks though. Ill keep an eye on it.

I checked out a lot of monitors and I ended up going with a Samsung 245BW because it was on sale at Best Buy and I had some Best Buy gift cards. My original intention was to buy the Westinghouse but the sale ended the day before and now it's $549. But I'm a hardcore gamer so I don't know if the input lag on the Westinghouse would have bothered me. I sit far enough from the 245BW that the TN-related issues don't really bother me.

If I were you I would check out the new Dell 2804WFP but that's a bit pricey and I'm not sure about the input lag.

Bought the 28 " HannsG yesterday. Just hooked it up when I got home. Backlight bleed is unreal. I bought this at Best Buy. Can anyone recommend the best 24 " they got? Or at least a 22. I am gonna take this back in about an hour or so. What should I look at? Thanks!

I returned a HannsG 28" from Best Buy.

I settled on Viewsonic VX2835WM 28" for 550 from Costco.

More inputs, better pixel pitch then the HannsG I think it's called and the back light bleed was even across the screen and acceptable to me.

I originally got the 30" 3008WFP but was really unimpressed for the $$ and the level of backlight bleed and returned it.

Love people that buy the Hanns G and don't even try to tweak it... If you set the color temperature correctly the black light bleeding is greatly reduced. One of these days I'll have to post my settings and the results, but a good 30 minutes workign the settings made this monitor much more enjoyable.

I tweaked it, and it was terrible still.

Also the input selection on the Hanns G is about the worst you can find. (5 buttons to switch input - Or you can turn it off then on and switch if you happen to have your 2 inputs hooked up and on)

Also the Auto input switch cannot be turned off on the Hanns G 28" - So if you have your PC hooked up via DVI and on, and a console hooked up via Component and the VGA port, switch over to the console if you reboot it for any reason the monitor will switch back to DVI automatically. Get's really annoying fast when switching games on a console exp if you have young kids using it.

I don't even know what backlight bleeding is? I also have a hanns-g.

so what am I missing here?

Its where the back light is either so bright that the colors look washed out or in a completely black screen you see streaks of light.

OK thanks. I guess my monitor has none of that. My black screen is black.

I got a good one.

I'm not having any problems with mine. Movies look good on here too. Granted, it's no CRT, but damn, I couldn't be happier with it being that it's an LCD.

Love people that buy the Hanns G and don't even try to tweak it... If you set the color temperature correctly the black light bleeding is greatly reduced. One of these days I'll have to post my settings and the results, but a good 30 minutes workign the settings made this monitor much more enjoyable.

Theres no amount of tweakin the color temp that was going to fix mine. I tried alot of different settings, closed the shades in my house, turned all the lights down, turned them all on....lol.....I am not too picky,but this was a real piece of shit! Im glad you got yours to where its bearable. But for 549 and everything I tried, I couldnt justify keeping it.

Mines is going back to BB today. Just bought it yesterday, and backlight bleeding is horrible. I bought for myself for my B-day and tried to watch 300 Blue Ray on it....sadly backlight in this mostly dark movie ruined it. I was so excited to have such a large screen too :( . I might just pick up a 24" instead.

This monitor kicks ass man. You may have gotten one that wasn't all that good. If you do get 1 that is good, Enjoy. Hehe. Every monitor 24, 22, 20, 28" etc will have a batch that is bad.

depends on the major use of the monitor.. If you are a hardcore gamer then you really do not have a choice besides TN panels. But if you are a general gamer you would be better off getting a non-TN panel

Mines is going back to BB today. Just bought it yesterday, and backlight bleeding is horrible.

ran my nephew down to BB in York today to get some stuff and I didnt see one on the shelf. I asked one of the guys if they were out, he said no they werent carrying them anymore in that store because of all the returns. whether he was telling me a story or not I dont know, but I know they had them there up til last week. either way, im glad I took mine back. seems to be WAY too many unhappy customers, and my Gateway has been great so far.

yes they are not carrying it anymore... the old one..

they have a new one hf289h, if returning is not much of a hassle for you give the new one a shot..goodluck

What are your settings?

I have terrible backlight bleed at the top. It's much brighter then the bleed coming from the sides. It's got to be a defect, but since I got it on newegg I can't return it. It's very noticable when I watch anything but pure HD. For some reason when watching BD on PS3 I don't notice it, but when watching streaming HD shows it's unwatchable.

I read a bunch of reviews and this one hit it right on the head. The top part in dark scenes makes black look like a negative image. So it seems like a lot of them have this issue. It sucks that there isn't anything in this size with a better panel. Hard to beat for $340 I paid for it.

My brother has a 28 Hannspree. It would be unusable if I didn't calibrate both in the monitor and in software with my i1 display lt. It has less backlight bleed than my 3007WFP. Though way more than my 2407WFP which has none. It's very nice for the money if you have the tools to set it up properly.

What are your settings?

I have terrible backlight bleed at the top. It's much brighter then the bleed coming from the sides. It's got to be a defect, but since I got it on newegg I can't return it. It's very noticable when I watch anything but pure HD. For some reason when watching BD on PS3 I don't notice it, but when watching streaming HD shows it's unwatchable.

I read a bunch of reviews and this one hit it right on the head. The top part in dark scenes makes black look like a negative image. So it seems like a lot of them have this issue. It sucks that there isn't anything in this size with a better panel. Hard to beat for $340 I paid for it.

I just wonder how can you watch BD on this monitor. It distorts and crops video frames. In other words, it does not support video.
The only way out is connecting it to a PC with HD drive.

If you're looking for a cheap, but quality TN panel monitor, Samsung is the way to go.

Hanns-G is an ultra budget brand and you have to expect cheapness in the quality control, otherwise they couldn't keep their prices so low.

Yup. You get what you pay for, or occasionally you get more than what you've paid for.

I'll agree on the control part, but not the quality per se. Hanns-G has been an unsung hero of the budget monitors for years now, in my book. I bought a 19" wide off them about 2 or 3-ish years ago. I've moved it around two separate houses, had a cat knock it to the ground, had a friend accidentally thrown a ball directly at it (tipping it over) and it still works amazingly.

I just wonder how can you watch BD on this monitor. It distorts and crops video frames. In other words, it does not support video.
The only way out is connecting it to a PC with HD drive.

I don't understand your problems. I have a PS3 hooked up to it and play PS3 games and watch BD movies and that looks absolutely great. I don't know why, but there is 0 noticeable back light bleed. Only when I stream movies. Something about lower quality video that makes this monitor not work right. Even regular SD movies when played on PS3 look great, but when played from my DVD-ROM look pixelated. I know PS3 upconverts and maybe that's the problem. If it's not 1080p the monitor can't handle it.

It's definitely the source. I'm watching Fringe on Hulu and both HD and SD don't show bleeding. LOST on ABC's website shows so much bleeding it's unwatchable. I'm comparing dark scenes in both. I have no explanation.

I have had my Hanns 28" for only a few days. It has been good so far. The only thing I have noticed is some dark areas in FPS games can be hard to see. I was using a diamondtron CRT before so I was used to great color.

No dead pixels and I don't see a lot of light bleed or ghosting. So far it is an excellent monitor for the money.

Bought it at costco.

I don't understand your problems. I have a PS3 hooked up to it and play PS3 games and watch BD movies and that looks absolutely great. I don't know why, but there is 0 noticeable back light bleed. Only when I stream movies. Something about lower quality video that makes this monitor not work right. Even regular SD movies when played on PS3 look great, but when played from my DVD-ROM look pixelated. I know PS3 upconverts and maybe that's the problem. If it's not 1080p the monitor can't handle it.

It would be helpful if you could take a photo of your monitor with a blu-ray movie.

Back