Happauge 1850 IR remote issue.

Much to my disappointment, turns out the IR remote, though it says it is Media Center compatible, it isn't....sort of.

The IR device lets the remote operate Media Center but the IR blaster part of the device is not recognized. So it tosses a monkeywrench into the whole setting up for a set-top box.

The setup fails, because of no IR blaster control of the box. I tried using the digital tuner for Comcast but only a handful of stations are clearQAM, I would have been happy with basic cable, but nope only the OtA channels are passed through clear.

So ok, I can have it at least control the set-top box for all the SD, and use the digital tuner for OtA with an antenna. Except the IR blaster part doesn't work.

So I have to track down some out of production Microsoft MC remote with the USB IR interface that Media Center will recognize.

I was wondering if anyone had found a way to get the HVR-1850's IR recognized by media center?

Also, I'm assuming that Windows 7 Media Center does handle clearQAM correctly? I know media center didn't used to, but thought now it does. Or do I need to do something extra to get the clearQAM handled, and maybe it will then see alot more channels?

Not, doesn't work. This is why you don't a tuner card with a remote, because they're all garbage.

7MC does support ClearQAM, Comcast probably just encrypts nearly everything (they're required by law to broadcast the OTA channels unencrypted).

Back