Happy Birthday Hubble Telescope

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
It's really difficult to think that only 20 short years ago the Hubble telescope literally changed the world. It has opened up panoramas to unknown and unseen worlds, making untold scientific breakthroughs. Truly a technological marvel.

hubble20_thumb.jpg

Every single pic makes me wish we could travel through space with ease. To bad none of us will be able to do that :(

Do you think they will invent somehting better using stuff like Hadron or Seti?

Seti? No. Seti stands for the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence. There are many, many groups of people working on this. The Seti Institute is probably what most people think of though. Either way, unless we get amazingly lucky(luckier than we are to be here at all, I mean) and intercept some alien transmission about super-high tech propulsion *and* we can understand and build the thing, no, Seti will not provide us directly with any real technological advances. Perhaps in radio-telescopes, but that's about it.

Now the LHC, that's a little harder to say. Immediately, absolutely not. Nobody's figuring out how to "use" anything that comes out of the LHC for quite some time. I can't predict the future of course, but I'd say it would take 100, maybe 150 years before anything useful comes from us finding the Higgs Boson. (Keep in mind, "we" have been working on making Fusion power for something like 60 years now, and it's still "50 years away", just like it was 50 years ago...)

Personally, I blame the laws of physics for being no fun. I want to travel faster than light, dammit. I don't care about causality.

I had a dream that technology "ends the world" because the universe can't contain itself once technology like teleporting power from source to source is regulatory that it just collapses and everything in it dissappears.

Unfortunately a REAL commitment to space exploration is simply too expensive these days. A trip to Mars is easily a 5 trillion dollar investment and that money won't be coming from government and the private sector won't spend this kind of money unless there is a profit motive.

You know I had another dream about space and it told me that on mars there is like alien artifacts of something only they don't know where to look with the bots so they "have" to actually go there. Only know-one knows where.

You know I had another dream about space and it told me that on mars there is like alien artifacts of something only they don't know where to look with the bots so they "have" to actually go there. Only know-one knows where.

Watch out after we find that technology the reapers shall come.

It's funny that even with pictures like this coming out NASA wanted to scrap this thing by now.

It would be kind of funny if one day we learned that all those nifty Hubble pictures were photoshopped.

We should cut NASA's budget by like 98%, just enough to keep whatever satellites we already have flying from raining into my house, and give the rest of the money start up a new proxy war in 3rd world bumfuckistan because we need to support our troops!

The NSA, CIA, or DHS will take over the Hubble in 2013 and turn it around, just you wait.

We should cut NASA's budget by like 98%, just enough to keep whatever satellites we already have flying from raining into my house, and give the rest of the money start up a new proxy war in 3rd world bumfuckistan because we need to support our troops!

Sarcasm?

The Hubble is amazing. I've always enjoyed looking at photos taken by Hubble, especially after the refit. Space looks so empty and devoid of.. well, life, until you look through the Hubble.

Back