Hard build advice for gaming and graphic work

einer2060

Limp Gawd
Need some good advice of you hard members.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Will be used most for work (photoshop, web site design, little video editing).
Gaming (COD:BO2, BF3, CS:GO, D3, SC2, C&C:Generals2, NFS, F1, Dirt3,...).
Should be as silent as possible.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Reasonable price, quiet build.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Austria, Slovenija

6) Will you be overclocking?
CPU will be overclocked.
GPU should be overclocked, but harder when SLI?

7) 7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Dual screen setup, 2560x1440+1920x1080, 27"+27" or 27"+23". Gaming will be on the 1080p monitor.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Want to order this week.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Sure some 5.1 audio, SLI, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s and so on.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
I will instal Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, is there a difference? Do i need one over the other?

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
- Primary LCD 27":
ASUS PB278Q

- Secondary right now Samsung 245B
I may replace it with:

27" Asus VG278HE (144Hz)
or
23" Asus VG236HE (120Hz)

I think 27" will be to big for gaming, I'm totaly used to the 24" right now, distance, but the 23" is not 144Hz.

- Asus Maximus V Gene

- 3570K (was first thinking 3770K, but will save here and maybe buy second GPU)

- Most silent pre build watercooler? And best cooling? Corsair H100 (CoolIT ECO)?
I read somewhere you cant do 5GHz overclock on this prebuild watercoolers. A 4,5 overclock would be nice.
What fans can i replace the original H100 fans? Need the most quiet ones.

- EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 2GB
Is this card 100% the better pcb than non "FTW" card? Because this one is 50 dollars more.

- maybe second EVGA GTX 670 FTW, 2GB

- Need Corsair 2x8GB = 16GB kit. Corsair Veneance 2x8? Or low profile ones?

- Best quiet, 750w, modular power suply
Corsair AX750, HX750, Seasonic X750,...

- Sennheiser RS 170 Wireless Headphones or some other Wireless Headset?

- Fractal Define Mini

- Samsung 830 Series 256GB, 6Gb/s

- Razer DeathStalker (not ultimate, no touchpad)

- NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ 2

- Razer Mouse bungee

- 2x Logitech Wireless Gamepad F710

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
I already have HDMI to 47" LCD for movies and it will be used for race, sport & fighting games.
Have 2x WD Caviar Black 640GB for storage.
Logitech G9x on Goliathus, Sennheiser HD 555, Logitech S220 & Logitech Z-5500 for movies.

Last edited:
Considering that you're planning on doing SLI, you should go with an ATX setup since that will offer better cooling for your SLI setup than a mATX setup would. I recommend this ATX mobo if you do go for ATX for better GPU cooling:
$190 - Asus P8Z77-V Intel Z77 ATX Motherboard

Case wise, again, since you want as silent as possible, then you should be looking at the following cases:
$105 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White ATX Case
$105 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Titanium Grey ATX Case
$110 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl ATX Case
$110 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$110 - Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey ATX Case
$110 - Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl ATX Case
$140 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$178 - Silverstone RV02B-EW-USB3.0 ATX case
$230 - Silverstone FT02S ATX Case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B ATX Case

Also, since you want as silent as possible, then you should be looking at the Noctua NH-D14 air cooler then as even the quietest all-in-one liquid cooling kits are still relatively loud compared to the Noctua due to the included water pump. If you still want to go with liquid cooling despite the noisy water pumps, then the quietest liquid cooling would be the Antec Kuhler 920.

OS wise, unless you can get Windows 7 Ultimate for cheaper than Windows 7 Pro, stick with Windows 7 Pro.

As for quiet PSUs, I'd recommend the Seasonic X-750. RAM wise, go for the low profile Corsair Vengeance 2 x 8GB RAM sets.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The case shouldn't be to big, that's why i'm looking at the Fractal Define Mini.
But you're considering SLI which means you should be looking at larger cases. Drop the SLI plan can you can keep your small case.
OK, SLI cooling would be better on a bigger motherboard, will look into it, but don't think i will find a different option for my needs and wants.
Huh? What do you mean you won't find a different a option?

I mean different case that i like.
Am looking right now at different cases and motherboard.

It don't need to be to silent at gaming, but it must be silent at working. There will be more working than gaming done!

It don't need to be to silent at gaming, but it must be silent at working. There will be more working than gaming done!
All righty then but two cards in SLI in a mATX case will make noise even while working.

Tnx but no 690, more expensive and not the same.

With the ASUS P8Z77-V i could go different GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 670 AMP!, 2GB, it is trippleslot but faster and better cooled.

Also the define mini case has the looks and size i want (also price). Will look if it is possible to put ASUS P8Z77-V in it... second option but bigger Define R4.
It won't be possible to put the Asus P8Z77-V inside the Define Mini since the Mini is a mATX case and that Asus P8Z77-V is an ATX motherboard. Especially since the PSU is right there at the bottom.
With the ASUS P8Z77-V i could go different GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 670 AMP!, 2GB, it is trippleslot but faster and better cooled.
Don't know how Zotac is in Europe but here in the U.S, they're well known for somewhat poor quality and poor customer support.

After some reviews it seems i'm going ASUS P8Z77-V with Fractal Define R4.

Zotac, hmm, you don't have contact with the card manufacturer here, if warranty than you go to the store where you bought the card.

There is massive speed difference between the EVGA FTW and the ZOTAC AMP, but i can sure overclock the EVGA FTW and it pushes air out, but is more loud. Does it have the 680 PCB?

Should be a 680 design, saw it on the official site, will buy 2x 670 FTW.

One more question, is there any real difference between Asus V and V PRO? I didn't find any real difference.
The only bad is, that V Gene has better audio.

One more question, is there any real difference between Asus V and V PRO? I didn't find any real difference.
The Pro has 4 more phases which theoretically means a higher chance of a higher OC. Thats about it.

Back