Hard decision, -should I keep my pc or buy an imac 27"?

Morrisvald

n00b
Hi

Right now I got an PC with 4 GB ram, Core i7 860 and gigabyte Nivida 460.

I am having a hard time deciding if I should sell the computer and buy and iMac 27" instead.
I want a 27" with 8bg ram, and core i7. The problems is the high price as I already got an PC which is a lot cheaper and even better in gaming.

I don't play games that often and mostly doing editing in after effects for film and commercials.

I got tired of my PC after many repairs and small issues. The PC works ok at the moment, but I am thinking about selling it and buying an imac 27" any suggestions ?

If you want an all in one and/or OSX, the imac is great. If you are just editing and your current computer works fine, just keep it. Don't get a mac because you want to avoid repairs and small issues, as the inside of a mac is just regular computer parts on a custom motherboard with their OS. They can still (and do) have PC type problems. The build quality overall is good, but stuff can still happen.

If you want an all in one and/or OSX, the imac is great. If you are just editing and your current computer works fine, just keep it. Don't get a mac because you want to avoid repairs and small issues, as the inside of a mac is just regular computer parts on a custom motherboard with their OS. They can still (and do) have PC type problems. The build quality overall is good, but stuff can still happen.

True. Seems like the grass is greener but it may not be.

If you can do your work and play your games on the iMac. Go for it. Just realize similar issues may plague you on the iMac as well.

Well, as always: what do you want to do?

The Mac is going to be weaker for gaming. Blizzard stuff seems to be fine but Steam games will be slower, not sure what else there even is for Mac. Beyond that: for general day-to-day stuff I'd say it's about moot. Win7 was a huge improvement for Windows to the point where IMO it's moot.

If you do dev work the Unix underpinnings of OSX are nice but it's not a huge deal. With either you can run a virtual box of Linux for such things. Really the biggest thing is that it's easy to run Windows on a Mac, you can't run OSX on anything else (ish...)

That said, those 27" screens are very, very nice. Mac quality is very, very nice. I wouldn't really fault anyone for getting one, just ask yourself if it's what you really want & need.

Everyone else's comments seem to be right. I don't see any reason to ditch the PC and get a new iMac. But if you can justify losing some of the gaming capabilities for any benefits that OSX brings, then I would suggest doing it. Apple hardware is the same stuff as anything else, the design is incredible though.

Option C: Keep the PC and buy an iMac.

x2 business and pleasure, last thing you want is to crash you work machine after you were playing css for 6 hours instead of editing that commercial due tomorrow

Beyond that: for general day-to-day stuff I'd say it's about moot. Win7 was a huge improvement for Windows to the point where IMO it's moot.
Just curious, but what is it exactly that was a huge improvement from Windows XP to Windows 7 (ignoring Vista since it's horrible) that suddenly makes Windows comparable to OS X in terms of day-to-day usability.

In other words, where does Windows 7 shine over XP?

Apple hardware is the same stuff as anything else, the design is incredible though.

This is one of the most accurate statements I've ever seen about Apple. IMO, what sets my macbook pro apart from every other C2D laptop in the world is the design of the case itself. No one else does machined aluminum, and no one else has a trackpad that is as smooth and responsive. It is those little details that really make the laptop shine for me, and make it worth the extra price (although I got mine for $1100 plus free $200 printer and free $200 ipod at the time, so the price was actually pretty good).

My OSX experience was the following: First 30 days were pure elation. Day 31 through Day 120 were ho-hum realization that it wasn't that different. Day 121 and on I realized that I do really enjoy spaces and expose while being limited to a 13" screen for 8+ hours a day (law student in library). I also really like the multitouch gestures that the trackpad has (enhanced with better touch tool). These little things really do help on a day to day basis.

As far as the iMac goes, you pay a big premium to have a desktop cpu on a laptop sized motherboard in a really slim and sleek form factor. The screen is AAA+ quality, and helps make the higher price less of a sting, but if you don't need OSX and don't need the form factor, you really have to decide for yourself if those aspects are worth the extra price for you.

My advice to everyone thinking about the switch, go to an Apple store and play with one. Bestbuy will let you play, but the guys at the Apple store (in my experience) know their stuff. I found them helpful and knowledgeable and my sales guy was able to answer all of my (somewhat) geeky and technical questions, which is wayyyyy more than what you get at Bestbuy ("Apple's don't get viruses and are way more reliable" is what I was told when comparing a Dell and Asus to the mac).

Just wanted to throw another option out there: Would just complementing your PC with something like a Dell U2711 satisfy your needs? Minus the other issues, of course. I have a couple of reasons for this. First, is Adobe licensing independent of the platform? If not, can you migrate After Effects at relatively low cost? Secondly, you'll be doing more work outright to sell your PC and put a good dent in the cost of the iMac. Parting would probably land you more cash than the system as a whole, and that takes coordinating between multiple buyers, forms of payment, shipping, Heat, etc.

The iMac does offer a lot, though:
- AIO form factor. Less clutter, minimal surface footprint. In the case of repair, this can bite you harder than usual, though.
- Single, great go-to place for any issues. RMAs, different hardware vendors, varying warranties, etc. won't be a problem any more.
- The build quality is very nice.
- Native multi-touch interface. Magic mouse & trackpad come to mind.
- Built-in Bluetooth & WiFi.
- Arguably, the OSX UI is better (depends on you, of course).
- Very quiet operation.

I think the best choices are between a) keeping the PC + getting a monitor and b) keeping the PC and getting an iMac. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
The only issue with having an iMac as one's only computer is that, for any kind of hardware issue, you're talking about effectively bringing the entire thing down to an Apple Store or, failing that, sending it to Apple, leaving you devoid of a machine. Self-repairs are possible but difficult, which is why I like the "buy an iMac and keep the PC" option.

Hardware issues are atypical, but they can happen. It's nice to have another machine ready to take up its duties just in case. The Mac Pro is better in this respect — fans, hard drives and the video card can be replaced easily, sparing potential downtime.

Or you can view it this way if you want some sort of assnine justification. The 27 inch screen on the imac is a steal for what you're getting. If you need want the 27 inch screen for work instead of what you have currently then consider that you're selling your pc for the price of the components on the imac sans screen. You can easily get $1000-$1200 for your current PC and considering the 27" display will be retailing for about $1K then you're just paying for the screen :)

I know twisted logic but it still is logical ;)

Hi

Right now I got an PC with 4 GB ram, Core i7 860 and gigabyte Nivida 460.

I am having a hard time deciding if I should sell the computer and buy and iMac 27" instead.
I want a 27" with 8bg ram, and core i7. The problems is the high price as I already got an PC which is a lot cheaper and even better in gaming.

I don't play games that often and mostly doing editing in after effects for film and commercials.

I got tired of my PC after many repairs and small issues. The PC works ok at the moment, but I am thinking about selling it and buying an imac 27" any suggestions ?

Is this the main reason you are getting a Mac? Frankly don't think switching to OSX, for a hardware reason, is a good enough reason. Macs use PC hardware like anything else. You can still get a flakey PSU, bad RAM, dying HDs - it's all the same silicon.

So again, if you're not switching for OSX, why are you doing it? I'm not sure what you mean by repairs either, I sincerely hope you aren't paying someone to fix a PC, if you built it yourself.

The 27 inch screen on the imac is a steal for what you're getting.
Given that there's a full-fledged computer housed inside, of course. :p

I will say that Apple does seem to source better parts overall and think more about the engineering, so it's not quite the same as getting an off-the-shelf PC.

What. You really want the iMac for is that awesome 27-inch display and the other design traits that suit it to video editing. The screen is very color-accurate and will give you a better impression of the actual look of a scene. As an all-in-one, it'll take up little room and free up space for other video editing gear. And while it's not the quietest system in the world, it's better behaved than some desktops I know.

If you do go Mac, custom order it with the wired keyboard and mouse or be prepared to get the Apple battery charger. Working all day with wireless peripherals can drain your batteries quickly.

BTW apple is relesing stand alone version of that 27" display if that's your biggest reason to swap.

I had a hard time fixing various stuff like temp issues , malfunctioned motherboard etc. And I got tired of the PC system which I think, always comes with some stupid flaws. But as someone else mentioned here, the Mac uses the same components as what a PC machine do (same silicon).

Don't buy an imac on the assumption that its display will somehow be as perfect as the rest of the machine.

I returned several for display issues before figuring out a mini with a 30" cinema display was a surer bet. YMMV

If you find yourself gaming less and less, you can just make a bootcamp partition and game when you can.

I wouldn't keep a PC around for the off chance you will be gaming once a week.

Don't buy an imac on the assumption that its display will somehow be as perfect as the rest of the machine.

I returned several for display issues before figuring out a mini with a 30" cinema display was a surer bet. YMMV

This. I'd purchase an iMac in person at one of the stores and have the display checked out there before leaving. The thought of ending up with dead or stuck pixels or a tinted display and having to argue with Apple over a replacement is unappealing.

I'm in a similar boat to the OP. Systems in my signature. I used to be a interface designer and web developer and do a lot of PC gaming but over the years I've ended up with such bad carpel tunnel and endless tendonitis I no longer do design, programme and I rarely manage to game at all anymore. I have this massive backlog of titles just sitting there making me feel guilty about the money I've spent on gaming hardware and games that are pretty much useless. Not to mention software licenses for shit I'll never use developing anymore. Strongly considering the 27" iMac once lightpeak and USB3 is available, retiring the Mac Mini to HTPC duty with Plex to replace the AppleTV with XBMC and perhaps parting out the gaming box and dropping gaming entirely.

Last edited:
Apple laptops are worth the apple premium in my book. Laptops simply rely on design and form factor much more than desktop systems do.

If you're only considering a desktop rig, just get a really nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I went through a phase a while back where I was wanting a new system Then when I actually stopped to think about it, I realized I really just wanted a better interface. So I dropped some money for an excellent display, keyboard, and mouse, and I'm loving it.

Just curious, but what is it exactly that was a huge improvement from Windows XP to Windows 7 (ignoring Vista since it's horrible) that suddenly makes Windows comparable to OS X in terms of day-to-day usability.

In other words, where does Windows 7 shine over XP?

IMO? mostly small stuff:
- taskbar application clumping & preview
- dynamic file addresses in Windows Explorer
- wireless & network settings
- file sharing (easier, although I assume that 95% of people on this forum knew how XP worked)
- general speed & stability, functionality of hibernate

I realize these are generally minor things, but they're what bothered me about XP. Also they're things that OSX does pretty damn well, honestly OSX is my laptop OS of choice because of expose & power management.

EDIT ::
Apple laptops are worth the apple premium in my book. Laptops simply rely on design and form factor much more than desktop systems do.

If you're only considering a desktop rig, just get a really nice monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

I went through a phase a while back where I was wanting a new system Then when I actually stopped to think about it, I realized I really just wanted a better interface. So I dropped some money for an excellent display, keyboard, and mouse, and I'm loving it.

Agreed 100% on both counts. Keyboard & Mouse & Display & speakers / headset are so vastly looked over it's kind of amazing. Changing them is the same as changing the tires on a car: gives it a whole new life.

Mac laptops are excellent, only two complaints: the battery isn't removable (easily), and the edges of the keyboard area are sharp, after going from the hard edges of a MBP to the nicely curved edges on a Lenovo I was amazing how much more relaxing typing became (however I did miss that Apple tracpad to no end...)

Last edited:
Back