Hard Drive have anything to do with gaming performance?

KillRoy X

Gawd
Just was having a discussion with a buddy of mine and the topic of going with a 7200RPM vs the Raptor came up.

I understand that loading games and possibly stability in general will increase, but once in the game will this affect FPS or hitching? My understanding is it won't improve on these factors.

I had a Raptor and it did help with loading times, but I did not notice in game performance increase. My new computer has a 7200 RPM, (larger drive)

Just trying to get an answer on this topic that I'm sure has been discussed before but I couldn't find this specific.

Correct, load times will decrease but the FPS will not change.

just enforcing what was said... however myself, i have been, for online top 5 to get into a game some nights with standard 7200 rpm drives, this does have more to do with your Connction but being in costa rica, i dont hav a great one... load times is all that would be affected, or if your playing large games say like Gthic 3 that caches alot, then faster hard drives help load area's before hand

Load times will improve SLIGHTLY, but the difference is almost negligible when comparing Raptors to other WD drives or modern TB-range drives. Don't waste your money.

What everyone else said.

A couple seconds off the load time in some game isn't really noticeable. Plus with regards to the Raptor, its sustained transfer rates are significantly slower than the fastest 7200rpms, and would actually load levels a second or two slower.

Raptors will load games a bit quicker and offer "snappier" performance than the 7200 rpm drives, but sustaoned transfer rates will vary vary greatly depending on the drive you're comparing it to. Regardless of the 7200 rpm drive you're comparing it to, the raptor will also beat other SATA/IDE drives in access times.

I love what my raptors do. Until someone can offer me an alternate drive that will offer comparable access times and transfer rates, I'll stick with my raptors.

The performance gap between a Raptor and the current crop of 16GB cache 7200RPM drives is almost negligible. I just recently migrated from a 74GB Raptor to a 250GB Seagate 7200 and I'm very hard pressed to find any noticeable performance differences between the two.

Anyone know if they are still in fact mfg'ing Raptors, or did they stockpile them & are selling them out of warehouse supplies?

I had a similar question.

I have a very old, slow Seagate IDE 250gb drive.

Would I get any FPS improvements in moving to a much faster drive?

Mine only gets around 30-35mbs average I/O in read and write.

Anyone know if they are still in fact mfg'ing Raptors, or did they stockpile them & are selling them out of warehouse supplies?

I wouldn't be surprised if they have a new version of the Raptor in the works. Something with 16MB or even 32MB of cache, single platter, SATA-2, and of course, 10,000 RPM. Now THAT would kick some serious ass.

Raptors will load games a bit quicker and offer "snappier" performance than the 7200 rpm drives, but sustaoned transfer rates will vary vary greatly depending on the drive you're comparing it to. Regardless of the 7200 rpm drive you're comparing it to, the raptor will also beat other SATA/IDE drives in access times.

I love what my raptors do. Until someone can offer me an alternate drive that will offer comparable access times and transfer rates, I'll stick with my raptors.

Many drives already beat it in transfer rates... it is just the access times that cant be beat unless you want to drop serious cash on SCSI drives.

I had 2 Raptors in RAID0 and there wasn't much of an increase (if any) in performance over a single Raptor, so I am sticking one of them in my to-be wife's new build, she doesn't understand it, but she wants whatever I have.

Back