Hard drive making little ticking noises

chaos1986

Weaksauce
I purchased 2 new 1TB hard drives (got them both in raid) for my new PC, now i have installed windows and all my things i need for work on, but when ever i copy or load something up they make this little ticking sound (sounds like when you use a terminal from Fallout 3 or a really old apple computer)

I RMA'd both of them and received new ones, they still make the sound (both of them make the sound)

If all four drives make the same noise I would call it normal. Are they workin good other than the noise?

If it's a tick and not a "click", it sounds like green powe/eco drive. However, they would be parking heads after inactivity - and would be fairly quiet during actual activity itself.

All mechanical drives make a clicking sound when they move their heads so clicking alone is not necessarily a sign of anything being wrong.

Current generation drives make less noise for the most part because they have been designed to do so but they still have the same basic parts. Some brands you can hear the seeks more than others. It depends on the drive.

Current generation drives make less noise for the most part because they have been designed to do so but they still have the same basic parts. Some brands you can hear the seeks more than others. It depends on the drive.

I've always wondered what actually makes the noise?

Back