Hard drive plugged into computer won't allow it to boot!?

MoreDents

Limp Gawd
I bought an external hard drive which didn't come with a power cord so I bought one on eBay. It's a 4 pin AC adapter cable.

I plugged it in and I heard a low buzzing noise and the hard drive didn't show up on my computer. :eek:

I took the external hard drive case off and plugged the 4 pin power cable in again and saw blue electricity running through the circuits! :eek: :eek:

Curious and frustrated...I unplugged and waited a while then plugged it in back again and it smoke came out! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I decided to take the hard drive and hook it up to my desktop but the computer won't boot when the hard drive is connected to the PSU! Once disconnected from the PSU but still with the IDE cable plugged in, the computer boots fine...

Is there an explanation? Can the hard drive be saved?
Thanks! :D

There is most likely a short somewhere on the hard drive's PCB. You're pretty much screwed unless you can find an identical drive and then swap PCBs (and that isn't guaranteed).

Damn...

Why would you think my 4 pin AC adapter behaved in such an odd fashion?

I do have to say...it IS from China (bought on eBay) and it came with a Chinese power plug like this
Power_Cord_Plug_for_China__USA__Japan__Canada.jpg

I had to switch it with an American plug...

Back