Hard drive preventing WinXP from booting... cause?

Gambit

Gawd
I recently (within the past month or so) picked up a 320 Seagate Sata 3 drive from Newegg. Opened the package, dropped it in, formatted it and all was peachy. Recently, I've been having computer problems in that Windows XP Pro won't boot with that drive connected.

If I unplug the drive, windows will boot no problem. If I leave it plugged in, I can get to Safe mode or Windows will hang at the loading screen (black background, colored logo, short progress bar) indefinately. If I unplug the drive, boot into windows, then plug in the data cable, windows will detect the drive and everything works just fine.

I'm going to guess there's just something funky with Windows and I'll have to reinstall (which isn't a huge deal) and that it's *not* the drive itself, but I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions.

As far as hardware changes, that's been the only one really. I *have* replaced the fan on my DFI Lanparty due to a dead chipset fan, but other than that, nothing's changed. I believe the only thing I *haven't* tried is setting one of my other drives in the 320's place and see if WinXP still boots.

Back