Hard Drive Prices Falling Already?

tonyb

Limp Gawd
They're not quite where they were, but I've found Western Digital 2 TB (WD20EARS) around $160 at NewEgg and Amazon (they used to be $230 I believe).

They're inching back down, probably the market overreacted at first and prices went artificially high. As the manufacturing plants come back up they'll continue to come back down. Still pretty high considering over the summer I bought a box of 2TB Samsung's for $75 ea.

Yeah, a year ago I bought a couple of WD20EARS for $89 a piece.

I thought so too and even read an article indicating it was happening. Crappy thing is the 1TB WD Black went back up to $249.99 tonight lol. Oh well, hope it goes down soon.

Here's one data point, hard drive selection at newegg:

$10 to $25 (14)
$25 to $50 (16)
$50 to $75 (4) <- all four are recertified 250GB or less.
$75 to $100 (25) <- 7 are recertified; of the new ones, one is a $99 750GB Hitachi and the rest are 500GB or less
$100 to $200 (51) <- cheapest 1TB drives are $130; cheapest 2TB is a Hitachi with not great ratings that sold for $60 on Black Friday and now sells for $150.

Supplies (and therefore prices) are now expected to be the worst in February 2012 and are not expected to get back to normal until 2013:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9222522/Impact_of_hard_drive_shortage_to_linger_through_2013

I have a feeling the market over-reacted.

I've been trying to sell (in the FS/FT section) a 3TB used once WD Green drive I don't need for 180 shipped - and nobody has bitten.

Kinda feel for the guys that ran out and bought 1000 dollars worth of drives hoping to flip them and double their money.

Since early in the crisis I'm thinking the price would settle down quickly, so I didn't buy anything at crazy prices (but I was still able to stock 27TB at good prices). Settling down doesn't mean back to normal, unfortunately. Supply and demand dictates that until production is back 100% (and probably even 120%, since we're talking about a growing market, and there will be catching up to do), prices won't be what they were. They'll probably stabilize to something like 30% more than before the floods, for a long time.

Yes, it would behoove them to keep the prices higher than they "should" be to offset the costs that they've incurred, at least for a while.

Eh, I don't mind 30% increase so much as I mind the 230% we've been seeing lately.

Yes, it would behoove them to keep the prices higher than they "should" be to offset the costs that they've incurred, at least for a while.

Supply/demand is not a cost. But when supply is short, it's of course an incentive to increase the prices, because if the manufacturer doesn't do it, the others down the line will do it anyway.

WD20EARS. No 49.99, no buys.

Actually, I only saw it get that cheap once or twice here Canada side but I was regularly getting it for $69.99

WD20EARS is my benchmark right now. It dropped another $20 or so in the past few days. $143 at Amazon.

Still not what it was last year, but good to see them going down.

Back