hard drive skipping (?)

gotchya

n00b
alright i'm not sure if my hard drive is skipping or what, but randomly when I am switching in between windows or opening a file/program my computer will freeze up and I won't be able to do anything for a few seconds. While this is happening I hear my hard drive starting to spin up, which leads me to believe that it is an issue with the hard drive.
I recently reformatted my computer and i've never had this issue before...My hard drive is a WD 74gb raptor drive

thanks for the help
Allen

bump....is this even in the right section or do you need more info or what?

what are the odds... this is exactly the issue i came here to resolve. my 74GB raptor is doing the same, its about 3.5 years old. It was doing this before, but not nearly as often, now its every 5 minutes sometimes. I recently replaced my motherboard/processor/GPU and got rid of my watercooling setup. PSU is a corsair 620, which is less than 6 months old.

make sure in the power properties you don't have it set to turn off the HD when idle for a few minutes

i disabled the 'turn off hard drive' part, but maybe i'll re-configure that, its entirely possible its screwed up somehow.

I ran the WD lifeguard tools and it seemed to pass, but i'll post up the results here when i'm home. Also, i think the SMART thing was disabled in the BIOS, but the lifeguard tools didnt seem to mind. i guess i should turn that on? i'm mostly using the default settings for that stuff in the BIOS. are there any other settings i should look at? someone mentioned the legacy SATA or AHCI in another thread, i'm not familiar w/ those.

black_b[ ]x;1032032380 said:
are there any other settings i should look at? someone mentioned the legacy SATA or AHCI in another thread, i'm not familiar w/ those.

Don't change that setting if you want to still be able to boot. It requires a reformat.

son of a... hopefully it was the power management setting. i tried setting it to "never" before but must have used the scroll wheel or something accidentally just before i closed the window because it was set to "1 minute" just now. :eek:

The data lifeguard tools doesn't have any diagnostic test...unless I downloaded the wrong one

EDIT: I downloaded the WD diagnostic tool and my hard drives didn't even show up on the list...o_O

Try using HD Tune, it can typically see (& error check) any storage device that's within arm's reach of the motherboard :p

Back