Hard drive upgrade and Assassin's Creed II save game

boxterduke

Gawd
Hey guys, I want to upgrade my 80GB hard drive to a 320GB but have a concern about the save game of Assassin's Creed II.

The Assassin's Creed II game save is copy protected so you can't just copy it to a USB key. The other option is doing a full system backup however I'm not sure if that will still copy it or not.

I looked up on the net and no real answer. Some people say doing a full system backup will copy the game save as long as it is the same PS3 and some people say it won't copy. Checking the guide about the system backup at playstaion.com says that it won't copy saves that are flagged copy protected.

So I wanted to ask and see if someone actually upgraded their hard drive on the same PS3 and the system backup utility was able to restore the game saves to the new hard drive.

Use the full system backup option under the System menu. It will retain your saves. It is meant for this kind of issue.

Even if using the full system backup option?

This will work, so long as you are upgrading the exact same system. Backup the data using the backup utility. Then restore using the restore utility after you put in the new hard drive, in the same system.

So I took the plunge and bought a 320GB and performed a backup, swapped the HDs and then restored.

The AC2 saves was there and it loaded just fine when I started the game. The only thing that was different is that the trophies started unlocking again although I platinumed the game. So I just quit the game and then resynched the trophies and that was it.

Still have to check other games but i'm happy so far.

So I took the plunge and bought a 320GB and performed a backup, swapped the HDs and then restored.

The AC2 saves was there and it loaded just fine when I started the game. The only thing that was different is that the trophies started unlocking again although I platinumed the game. So I just quit the game and then resynched the trophies and that was it.

Still have to check other games but i'm happy so far.

Cool, good to know! Thanks for the heads up, I've been thinking of snagging a bigger hard drive. Not sure I will, though, since streaming is working OK now that I've tweaked a few things here and there, but we'll see :).

Cool, good to know! Thanks for the heads up, I've been thinking of snagging a bigger hard drive. Not sure I will, though, since streaming is working OK now that I've tweaked a few things here and there, but we'll see :).
Yeah I stream as well, but still on wireless. I wanna wire the house one day but since thinking of moving that project is put on hold. If we move then I will wire the new house and have the PS3 hard wired.
As for now the wife does not want the hassle of browsing the media server so I just put the file she wants on the PS3, especially the cartoons for the baby. Also I can have more demos saved with the bigger hard drive so we can play when my nephews come over.

While I'm not completely sure on this, I would believe any copy protected saves are locked to that particular system, not the hard drive. So you should be able to copy and move them around (via backup), they just won't work on another system. Once you replace the data on the same system and the hashes matched up (probably based on system serial #), then you should be fine.

While I'm not completely sure on this, I would believe any copy protected saves are locked to that particular system, not the hard drive. So you should be able to copy and move them around (via backup), they just won't work on another system. Once you replace the data on the same system and the hashes matched up (probably based on system serial #), then you should be fine.

See, I hate that shit. There's NO reason a game's save file should EVER be copy protected.

Yeah I stream as well, but still on wireless. I wanna wire the house one day but since thinking of moving that project is put on hold. If we move then I will wire the new house and have the PS3 hard wired.
As for now the wife does not want the hassle of browsing the media server so I just put the file she wants on the PS3, especially the cartoons for the baby. Also I can have more demos saved with the bigger hard drive so we can play when my nephews come over.

yeah wired is better for streaming your HD content, but if you can set it up with an 802.11n bridge, that should do fine as well.

That said, what is with the PS3 being unwilling to display folders on a USB thumb drive and navigate into them to find video files? If I put files in the root, it's no problem. If they're in a subfolder off the root, forget it. Sucks!

That said, what is with the PS3 being unwilling to display folders on a USB thumb drive and navigate into them to find video files? If I put files in the root, it's no problem. If they're in a subfolder off the root, forget it. Sucks!
You can click the triangle and then select display all and that should show you files that are in folders.

Back