Harddrive Temps

cherrypik

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,
My new WD 250 16MB Cavier is posting a 57c temp at load using fanspeed. Thats seems way to high. I also have a fan blowing near it. Is it too high? What's usually the average?

that makes no difference, I've got 4 hdd's in my computer, none is passing 35°C
I do have 2x80mm fans in front of it, blowing fresh air between them.

That is running a bit high. When you say "near"... how "near" ? Blowing ON the drives? or beside them? Back in the day, when 7,200 rpm drives came out (read new on the market) - they always reccomended you have a fan blowing on them. Nowadays, they should be alright. Unless you have almost no airflow in your case, or high ambient temperatures at your house, or both.

30-40 is good.

Depending, it may also be a bad drive. Happens sometimes. I beleive that it's just an airflow problem.

You really need to just give some more details. How many fans do you have? Are any blowing on the hard drive in question? Is there something restricting the airflow to the hard drive? What case do you have? Does the case feel warm or hot to the touch?

Dumass_Freakboy said:
That is running a bit high. When you say "near"... how "near" ? Blowing ON the drives? or beside them? Back in the day, when 7,200 rpm drives came out (read new on the market) - they always reccomended you have a fan blowing on them. Nowadays, they should be alright. Unless you have almost no airflow in your case, or high ambient temperatures at your house, or both.

30-40 is good.

Depending, it may also be a bad drive. Happens sometimes. I beleive that it's just an airflow problem.

You really need to just give some more details. How many fans do you have? Are any blowing on the hard drive in question? Is there something restricting the airflow to the hard drive? What case do you have? Does the case feel warm or hot to the touch?

I have a harddrive fan blowing underneth it. It's brand new. My maxtor harddrive was usually at 42-43c.

there is no point comparing temperatures without nailing down the variables

there are three main variables to any heat transfer solution

the amount of medium being transfered to in a given amount of time
(in this case increase airflow)

the size of the transfer interface
(employ a finned heatsink to increase interface area)

the temperature differential
(decrease the air temperature your transfering to, twice the difference in temperature between the drive and the air twice the heat transfered)

in this case an additional factor or two could well be at play
radiation is another means of heat transfer, although a very small factor most of the time
two drives close to one another can be radiating into each other, still just a drop in the bucket comparatively, generally more to the point is the lack of airflow close proximity creates

Each 10°C (18°F) temperature rise reduces component life by 50%
Conversely, each 10°C (18°F) temperature reduction increases component life by 100%.
which applies roughly to both mechanical as well as silicon devices (there is obviously a lower limit)

excess HDD heat can be a sign of a bearing going bad, but unless you have seen a rise in temperature at the same ambient I wouldnt jump to conclusions

consider what a few simple air deflectors or ducts might do to force more air past the drives, as well as a more powerful fan, better location or accessory might offer

Like Czar said.

Plus - if your lookin for answers, you gotta give some to get some.

If you have poor airflow in the case, and none of it is going past the drive (other than the one fan) well then the fan could be circulating recycled air, which only gets warmer and warmer as it keeps recycling the air.

Ideally, you want cooler air from outside the case blowing directly across the hard drives (maybe just also a fan blowing air in general into the whole case), and somewhere on the back of the case (in addition to the power supply) you want a fan sucking/blowing air out.

Check my 1337 drawing for demonstration purposes:
good-bad.JPG

Back