HardOCP Question on SSD

OCZ

I have three of them and haven't had any problems in a year of regular use. Not that I have anything against the other brands, but I stick with what works for me.

One thing's for sure, I WONT go with Crucial ever again. I recently picked one up for myself and installed one for my client too.

After not seeing massive improvements to my games compared to my 1TB HDD I thought I would investigate. After thorough study I discover that Crucial uses the ATTO Disk Benchmark which is a very limited benchmark in that it doesn't reflect real-world performance. I concluded this by using HD Tach and HD Tune to see the kinds of speeds I got because it's not a good idea (go figure) to trust just one benchmark. I also ran my own copy/paste transfers and the speeds were shit.

The drives were rated for about 270MBps R/W. The ATTO tests reflected this, but HD Tach and HD Tune were reporting about 130MBps MAX on sections of the drive that actually had data. Copy/paste performance also reflected this.

I promptly returned the drive and will be getting my client to do the same.

Shame on you Crucial.

1) OCZ (no MIR)
2) Crucial
3) Whatever, as long as it uses the Sandforce controller.

OCZ, Crucial, Intel

Running Vertex 2 60gb now and Vertex (1) 30gb previously.

Next few months might change all this.

Brando, Memorex, Kirkland Signature

Just kidding... Intel, Crucial, OCZ, but clones using the same firmware and NAND can be worth considering depending on price.
I own an Intel 80GB X25-M and a 120GB OCZ Vertex.

Intel only if I were to buy now, the return rate for all other manufacturers is at least twice more important.
I'll reassess when it's time (cheaper) to buy and all manufacturers have switched to the 20nm range.

One thing's for sure, I WONT go with Crucial ever again. I recently picked one up for myself and installed one for my client too.

After not seeing massive improvements to my games compared to my 1TB HDD I thought I would investigate. After thorough study I discover that Crucial uses the ATTO Disk Benchmark which is a very limited benchmark in that it doesn't reflect real-world performance. I concluded this by using HD Tach and HD Tune to see the kinds of speeds I got because it's not a good idea (go figure) to trust just one benchmark. I also ran my own copy/paste transfers and the speeds were shit.

The drives were rated for about 270MBps R/W. The ATTO tests reflected this, but HD Tach and HD Tune were reporting about 130MBps MAX on sections of the drive that actually had data. Copy/paste performance also reflected this.

I promptly returned the drive and will be getting my client to do the same.

Shame on you Crucial.

I dont want to sound like a shill, but I think your attacking a perfectly good product. There are a number of things you need to be aware of about SSD's, most importantly that they will absolutely not help your FPS in game, and that other testers have validated curcials figures.

The most obvious question for me is, on a copy paste test, who was the source, and who was the destination, because if you're going from C: to C:, yeah, you're going to see your read speed equal to your write speed for what I thought would be obvious reasons: the your read speeds are going to be limited as the drive requests information to write.

Other things:
  • C300 is rated for SATA III (aka SATA 6Gb/s), using a SATA II port will limit the drive to ~200 MiB/s.
  • You definatly want to be in RAID or ACHI mode, as not doing so can create wierd performance anomalies (granted it shouldn't).
  • Sustained read/writes are not at all what an SSD is about, its the 4Ki [windows block size] random IO that makes them impressive

Until they stop ripping us off for memory storage...none. Price you pay for ssd you could have bought a few hard drives (large ones to boot). I am impressed on the speed but price needs to get more competitive.

Intel (+ Kingston re-brands), OCZ

Never ever, ever, ever, ever Corsair again, after being bitten by them with an X64 which was sold as having future TRIM support via firmware update. The firmware eventually arrived but came with a flash utility which worked randomly for about 1% of users' hardware. Corsair's solution - every X series user to ship their SSD out of the country to be flashed by Corsair!

Back