Hardrive's dropping out boot after boot.

sdk

[H]ard|Gawd
I am having a little perdicament here. I have two 250GB SATA2 Maxtor harddrives (6V250F0) and my brother has a 300GB SATA2 Maxtor drive (6V300F0) They are good drives and I like them but I am having some problems as often when I reboot my computer and my brother reboots his computer they are not being detected by the computer. Sometimes another reboot will fix the problem, or I have to unplug the SATA cable from the drive or the mobo and then reboot and it will detect it fine. I don't know if its a problem with the SATA drivers mabey, but its starting to get anoying as I would like it to be more reliable so I don't have to open up the case. When it boots its giving me the can't not boot error as its not finding the harddrive to boot to. Looking for any suggestions on what I should do.

I have a similar issue. I recently added a second SATA WD Cavier 320GB HDD to my system as a backup drive. But the drive is some times detected at boot and other times not. Most often a warm reboot fixes the issue.

Further more the once into windows the drive is not listed under My Computer. Although it shows under device manager. I went into computer management and the drive wasn't initialized. I had to do that and format it. But this is the second time I have had to do this.

My system has become unstable overall after adding this drive where I often get a BSOD. What I don't understand is how come the drive randomly stops being detected. I have run a DFT on the drive and it seems to be ok.

The other two drives in the system are a 74Gb raptor and an old 40Gb Segate IDE drive. Once again I don't understand why the drive is only dected sometimes. Any driver or settings issues should not even be a problem till I boot into windows. Then why wouldn't it post? I don't even have to fiddle with the cables to get it to detect. Just a couple of resets and it gets picked up.

Back