Hardware Help - Best Above Consumer Grade Router

Opie

Gawd
I'm looking to get a better router (wireless + wired) for my home network. I am looking to buy into above normal consumer grade equipment and my current setup is a first-gen Linksys WRT54G. The Linksys has served me well but is starting to show some strain - I'm down to 2 working wired ports and my network stability is suffering. Rather than get another so-so router I want to get something....better. I do a lot a gaming so throughput and stability are very important to me. All my machines are gigabit enabled as well. I live in a 16-unit building as well, so good wireless security is also a goal.

I have some freinds in IT that have mentioned some higher-grade hardware in the past but I cannot remember the names. It appears as if there are several professionals in this forum; any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

For gaming...a lot of people have praised the DLink 4000 series...they make a wired and wireless model. Supposed to have some QoS features based on an Ubicom engine that helps gaming when other traffic is in the mix from other users.

Assuming you've explored some 3rd party firmware for your old wrt54g, such as Hyper-WRT and DD-WRT. They can squeeze a few more drops out of it over the stock Linksys firmware.

I've been very please with the many setups I've done using the newer wrt54gx4 (srx400) series....fantastic range.

For a wired router, Linksys/Cisco RV082 and RV016 models...VERY stable, and fast. 533MHz Intel processor, 32 and 64 megs of RAM respectively. I've installed a lot of them, I have an 082 at home I've used a lot.

Or build yourself a linux based router, such as IPCop, Smoothwall, m0n0wall, pfsense, Endian, etc. I tried IPCop, PFSense, and Endian...I'm currently using Endian...been happy with it for a few months...til I get bored and want to try something else. Flip your wrt to AP mode only, and it'll perform fine.

High-Performance SOHO wireless routers:

Best: (MIMO and Draft-N Solutions)
NETGEAR WNR854T RangeMax NEXT Gigabit Edition (Broadcom TopDog draftN Chipset) -- $149.99

Netgear WNR834B RangeMax NEXT (Marvell Intensi-fi draftN Chipset) -- $129.99

D-Link DIR-635 RangeBooster N 650 (Atheros XSPAN draftN Chipset) -- $129.99

Note: Broadcom and Atheros have publically stated that their respective draftN solutions, Intensi-fi and XSPAN, are interoperable whereas the Broadcom TopDog appears to be in a camp all by itself.

Better (MIMO and non-MIMO Solutions)
Netgear WPNT834 RangeMax 240 -- $129.99

LINKSYS WRT54GX4 -- $129.99

D-Link DGL-4300 -- $124.99

Good
BELKIN F5D8230-4 Pre-N Router -- $83.99

NETGEAR WPN824 MIMO Router -- $99.99

Okay
BELKIN F5D9230-4 MIMO Router -- $49.99

Pre-N and Draft-N Disclaimer:
Certain Pre/Draft-N devices have been known to conflict with other non-N devices, especially when set to channel 6. Most of the newer Pre-N and Draft-N solutions represented here do not appear to have this problem. Keep in mind that the reason they have prefixes is because the 'N' standard has yet to be approved and stamped by the FCC. It is possible that any pre or draft N equipment you may buy now will be incompatible with the final version of the N code. Keep that in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally love the DLink DGL series. I have one myself and recommend them quite often. Keep in mind though that the DGL-4300, while it has excellent throughput and stability, only features a standard G implementation. If you are primarily wired and only need wireless for a laptop or a couple of machines, it's great... but if the majority of your clients are wireless, you may want to go with a MIMO based solution.

Orinthical said:
High-Performance SOHO wireless routers:

Best: (MIMO and Draft-N Solutions)
NETGEAR WNR854T RangeMax NEXT Gigabit Edition (Broadcom TopDog draftN Chipset) -- $149.99

Netgear WNR834B RangeMax NEXT (Marvell Intensi-fi draftN Chipset) -- $129.99

D-Link DIR-635 RangeBooster N 650 (Atheros XSPAN draftN Chipset) -- $129.99

Note: Broadcom and Atheros have publically stated that their respective draftN solutions, Intensi-fi and XSPAN, are interoperable whereas the Broadcom TopDog appears to be in a camp all by itself.

Better (MIMO and non-MIMO Solutions)
Netgear WPNT834 RangeMax 240 -- $129.99

LINKSYS WRT54GX4 -- $129.99

D-Link DGL-4300 -- $124.99

Good
BELKIN F5D8230-4 Pre-N Router -- $83.99

NETGEAR WPN824 MIMO Router -- $99.99

Okay
BELKIN F5D9230-4 MIMO Router -- $49.99

Pre-N and Draft-N Disclaimer:
Certain Pre/Draft-N devices have been known to conflict with other non-N devices, especially when set to channel 6. Most of the newer Pre-N and Draft-N solutions represented here do not appear to have this problem. Keep in mind that the reason they have prefixes is because the 'N' standard has yet to be approved and stamped by the FCC. It is possible that any pre or draft N equipment you may buy now will be incompatible with the final version of the N code. Keep that in mind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally love the DLink DGL series. I have one myself and recommend them quite often. Keep in mind though that the DGL-4300, while it has excellent throughput and stability, only features a standard G implementation. If you are primarily wired and only need wireless for a laptop or a couple of machines, it's great... but if the majority of your clients are wireless, you may want to go with a MIMO based solution.

newegg has the B model, if you do a search for the N, i think shop yahoo has it (N Model a little better) on the new netgear that is ;)

-(Xyphox)- said:
newegg has the B model, if you do a search for the N, i think shop yahoo has it (N Model a little better) on the new netgear that is ;)

The T model is the gigabit edition of the M model you're referencing.

The B model is also in there but uses a different wireless technology than the M and T models. Unfortunately draftN devices are a lot like BlueRay vs HD-DVD right now... no one quite knows whose technology will win in the end. So the B, while older (hence it's 2nd place position), might be a better fit for someone IF they already have or are interested in the Marvell solution. /shrug :)

I'm glad I found this thread since I have the exact same question. I'm about to move into a new place and am going to build a nice NAS/server so I want fast, wired ethernet but with the option of wireless and also good features/stability including packet prioritization. The Netgear WNR854T does look sexy and has tons of features but it sounds like it's quite buggy... Perhaps the newer firmwares will fix most of the quirks. Otherwise, the D-Link DGL-4300 has great reviews but looks like it's missing quite a few features (probably because it's older). I've had bad experiences with D-Link routers in the past so I'd like to steer clear, but the reviews seem to speak for themselves.

Decisions...

YeOldeStonecat said:
For gaming...a lot of people have praised the DLink 4000 series...they make a wired and wireless model. Supposed to have some QoS features based on an Ubicom engine that helps gaming when other traffic is in the mix from other users.

Assuming you've explored some 3rd party firmware for your old wrt54g, such as Hyper-WRT and DD-WRT. They can squeeze a few more drops out of it over the stock Linksys firmware.

I've been very please with the many setups I've done using the newer wrt54gx4 (srx400) series....fantastic range.

For a wired router, Linksys/Cisco RV082 and RV016 models...VERY stable, and fast. 533MHz Intel processor, 32 and 64 megs of RAM respectively. I've installed a lot of them, I have an 082 at home I've used a lot.

Or build yourself a linux based router, such as IPCop, Smoothwall, m0n0wall, pfsense, Endian, etc. I tried IPCop, PFSense, and Endian...I'm currently using Endian...been happy with it for a few months...til I get bored and want to try something else. Flip your wrt to AP mode only, and it'll perform fine.

Agreed.

However, QoS is bunk and a mute point unless your ISP/Service Provider had QoS implemented on there network as well. (even then, internet traffic still has the lowest priority) Yea the router might get your gaming traffic out of your local LAN faster than normal, but onces it hits the ISP/Service Provider's network its going to get re-tagged and thrown back into the normal queue.

Back