Hardware issue....

schenks

[H]ard|Gawd
I woke up this morning to see my fileserver with the following error after post:
Code:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
I figured this was a HDD failure, because the OS drive in there was quite old. I threw in another drive that I knew was functional, and started reinstalling the OS to it. After it went through the usual Windows initial install stuff, it did the reboot, and when trying to boot into the hard drive, it gave the same error as above.

At this point, I'm kind of stumped as to what is broke. Could this possibly be something motherboard related? It's sensing the hard drive just fine, but it seems like it just can't boot into it.

Specs:
Asus A8N-E board
A64 X2 4800
4x512 Corsair RAM
Unbootable HDD is a WD800 IDE drive

Edit: Tried swapping the IDE channel and tried swapping IDE cables, but it still boots into CDs despite this, so I'm really not too sure what I could have fried at this point...

That sucks. Good luck.

My wife called me today and told me that my son's quad core gaming rig (and SMP folder) is dead with some "unable to find boot drive" error message.

I had some power problems from Idaho Power today due to a storm.

ah excellent with one of poca's machines down now is my chance to claim the crown! p3s to work!!!

Code:
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER
I figured this was a HDD failure, because the OS drive in there was quite old. I threw in another drive that I knew was functional, and started reinstalling the OS to it. After it went through the usual Windows initial install stuff, it did the reboot, and when trying to boot into the hard drive, it gave the same error as above.

Did your boot order somehow get changed in the bios so that your drive is no longer selected as a boot device? Other than that the only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the onboard controller. Let's hope that's not it. :(

Good Luck!

That sucks. Good luck.

My wife called me today and told me that my son's quad core gaming rig (and SMP folder) is dead with some "unable to find boot drive" error message.

I had some power problems from Idaho Power today due to a storm.

I weep for the loss of the conjoined twins. We are moving backward in our war with MPC. I believe those nanobots are after us again with all the dead rigs lately :(

VISUALIZE WHIRLING GREEN PEAS

THANKS FOR THE HELP :D

Did your boot order somehow get changed in the bios so that your drive is no longer selected as a boot device? Other than that the only thing I can think of is that something is wrong with the onboard controller. Let's hope that's not it.

That's what I'm guessing is happening....it eventually went through on the 3rd or 4th reboot or so, but I'm just sort of waiting at this point for it to completely die. I have a spare mATX motherboard that I can throw in, but it's lacking some of the ports I want in my fileserver (namely all the hard drive connections), but worst comes to worst I can use that I suppose

Back