has any one tried this? am i onto something here?

tomciob

Limp Gawd
i want to water cool my loud shuttle sn25p.
since space is at a premium and i never like the idea of having a radiator, reservoir and a pump cluttering up the look the project never went anywhere.
then i found finned tubing from these people http://www.cainind.com/cat4.htm
there are others but this is the only flexible small diameter i found.
oivk02.jpg

so here are my questions (don't be mean i have an electronic not mechanical degree)
1. would this tubbing be enough to dissipate heat from a NON OC'ed opteron 165 and an nforce4 chipset? keep in mind that cainind has different diameters, materials, fin density, and fin height.

2. what can i do about the reservoir, once the tubbing is filled w/ water and properly purged of air and than sealed up, why would i need a reservoir? where would the liquid go? assuming no leaks obviously !

ok, let me have it now.

You dont need a resevoir, many people make due without one.

I dont see that as being enough cooling for your loop though. I would plan on using an 80mm radiator at least. You can always try just the tubing at first, and if it doesn't work just plug in the 80mm radiator as well.

You can either go with a radiator or go with lots of tubing coiled within the case. I'd figure it'd be about the same performance. The radiator would take up a lot less room though

you'd need some massive case airflow to make it work.

there's a reason that we use rads in computer watercooling........same reason that most other industries use them: when you strap a fan onto a rad, the air is forced to go through the fins and pick up heat in a predictable manner. with a snakes nest of finned tubes, there's nothing to say that the air is flowing through the fins if going the long way around is lower resistance.......and it probably IS lower resistance.

If you take those tubes and run them through a soda cooler stocked with ice or dry ice in water then that would work pretty well.

Back