Has anyone build an HTPC for 3D video playback ?

EarthBrain

Limp Gawd
I am thinking of building an HTPC that will play back 3D iso like Avatar.

First, will I be able to replicate full 1080p 3D playback using active 3D glasses on a 3D HDTV such as the 65" Panasonic P65VT30 using the HTPC instead of the dedicated 3D blu-ray player ?

I heard that media player such as the Dune, PopBox 3D, and Popcorn Hour A210 can do SBS 3D .mkv files but they will be half the resolution and I think there is no media player currently that can play 1080p 3D like a dedicated 3D blu-ray player.

So will an HTPC with the right nvidia graphic card and a 3D software such as TotalMedia Theatre 5 be equal in performance to a dedicated 3D blu-ray player ?

I just read a thread here the other day....if you have the TV, the glasses, and software like PowerDVD Ultra 11 you can do that. I'm in the process of doing just this.

A buddy of mine has built one that plays 3D 1080p with full surround. I don't have the exact spec's because he went overkill on the build (didn't need to worry about cost). He uses a core i3 with just a random video card that does hdmi out. I'll try to get you the video card he used, and the software he uses to load up his rips.

Back