Has anyone ordered an Apogee GT?

bhag

Weaksauce
If so, from where? Just wondering who has them in stock... I've found a couple of places but none from whom I've ordered in the past. SVC has them.

I'm looking to replace my storm soon and I'm torn between the Apogee GT and Fuzion. I was following the threads over at XS with the testing between these blocks and they are pretty close. From what I hear the Fuzion is less restrictive but I haven't seen any data to back this up.

For what it's worth - Apogee GT review.

I'm more torn between the Apogee GT and the AquaXtreme MP-05.

My opinion only but I think the Fuzion is ... ah... ugly. Many will argue performance over looks and I fully understand that - makes complete sense. The few degrees difference won't mean that much for me anyway. I'm not overclocking my chip to the extreme............. yet.

My opinion only but I think the Fuzion is ... ah... ugly. Many will argue performance over looks and I fully understand that - makes complete sense. The few degrees difference won't mean that much for me anyway. I'm not overclocking my chip to the extreme............. yet.

That's pretty much my take on it. The Fuzion is no doubt a good performer, but I just don't like how it looks. If the GT performs a few degrees "worse" than a Fuzion but I like the look of it better, then I am ok with that.

It would appear that the Fuzion and the GT are both pretty darn good blocks, so I don't think you could really go wrong with either.

using asus prob to monitor temps in that review, come on now... :eek:

If you lap the IHS and the two blocks they actually perform roughly equal to each other.

Also I agree that the Fuzion is butt ugly, although I don't particularly like the looks of the Apogee that much either. I still prefer the looks of the Apogee to that of the Fuzion however.

using asus prob to monitor temps in that review, come on now... :eek:

Like I said... for what it's worth.

I'll probably end up ordering the Apogee GT, however Petra's is not showing it and I wanted to order from them (have heard really good things:) ).

Fuzion is in stock in a number of places but the Apogee GT won't be available until the end of the month likely. That's what I heard from Petra's Tech Shop (yes, go with Petra, that's a no brainer.)

If you have an intel quad core, these are the two blocks to choose from. It "appears" that Fuzion might be cooler (and definately has less restrictive flow within the block - but not necessarily the entire system) but it's a real mess right now with a lot of people on either side releasing "data" and slinging mud at one another. However, either one will likely give you improved results over their older line-ups with the Kentsfield. Is Fuzion "pretty"? No, but I'm sorry, I subscribe to the school of performance over art - especially when you're oc'ing a REALLY hot chip like the Kentsfield.

Word of caution, if you don't have a quad core, hold off until some more standardized testing and results come out. There is a lot of invalid data floating around right now not only about how those two perform against one another but also how they perform against the older blocks meant for a smaller heat-source.

Disclaimer: This is not first hand knowledge, just what I've learned going through a couple of other forums and also from some discussion with the co-owner of Petra's Tech Shop.

Yeah I've been following this on the Xtreme Systems forums. I have to purchase this week so who knows.... I may just end up ordering the Storm or AquaXtreme MP-05 LE.

I'll be cooling an E6600 btw.

Since you have a conroe and are looking to buy now instead of waiting, I agree completely, just go with one of those two - either will give excellent results and have a proven track record.

Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if even in the next month or so we learn that on a dual core the Fuzion and GT don't really perform much better than the Storm.

Since you have a conroe and are looking to buy now instead of waiting, I agree completely, just go with one of those two - either will give excellent results and have a proven track record.

Personally, I wouldn't be at all surprised if even in the next month or so we learn that on a dual core the Fuzion and GT don't really perform much better than the Storm.

I don't think that they do. The biggest difference is in the lower restriction of the Apogee GT and especially the Fuzion (versus the Storm, MP-05 SP LE, Nexxxos XP). As far a performance differences, very similar results would be seen on both blocks. I would vote for the Fuzion, based on its extremely low restriction, but either block is going to perform very well.

You're probably right, the Fuzion and GT might very well prove better with the conroe as well, I do not know enough about the engineering to say one way or the other. I made the remark I guess because I'm just so disillusioned/jaded by all the negative mud slinging going on right now on XS. I'd rather just accept a proven high performace block for now (which should suffice anyway considering the conroe is a bretty cool chip to begin with,) and wait for the hype and everything else to straighten itself out.

You're probably right, the Fuzion and GT might very well prove better with the conroe as well, I do not know enough about the engineering to say one way or the other. I made the remark I guess because I'm just so disillusioned/jaded by all the negative mud slinging going on right now on XS. I'd rather just accept a proven high performace block for now (which should suffice anyway considering the conroe is a bretty cool chip to begin with,) and wait for the hype and everything else to straighten itself out.

I completely agree, except I think that both blocks are proven performers at this point. I've been following all the flaming going on XS right now. Its really quite ridiculous. Two things stand out to me, 1) the results from H20-FragMonger show that the Fuzion has an insanely low pressure drop versus the original apogee, and a G4 and 2) Nik's results show that the performance of the two are very close. Neither is going to top a silver G5, but that shouldn't surprise anyone. I don't trust the testing that was at CES, but I trust Nik's results. The review at vr-zone is a total joke. Over time, more people will run more tests and then we'll be able to get a better picture of things. But as of right now, I don't think there's any reason to believe that either of these blocks are bad. Neither has a very high price, either. They're both very good buys, IMO

Fuzion is in stock in a number of places but the Apogee GT won't be available until the end of the month likely. That's what I heard from Petra's Tech Shop (yes, go with Petra, that's a no brainer.)

Wrong ! The Apogee GT is already available since yesterday jan. 15 , at jab-tech or sidewinder for $ 55 . :D

Back