has anyone used Vizio VL260M as a monitor?

sdotmiles

n00b
i cant seem to find any reviews of this hdtv. its available at sams club only apparently. with the viewing angle and response time i assume its at least a VA panel. here are the specs:

# Picture/Display: Size: 26"
# Viewable: 26.02" diagonal
# Tuner: 1xRF (F connector for internal NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner)
# Supported TV formats: supports 480I(SDTV), 480P(EDTV), 720P(HDTV), 1080I(HDTV), 1080P(FHDTV)
# Native panel resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels
# Pixel/dot pitch: 0.30mm(H)x0.30mm(V)

# Signal compatibility: supports 480I(SDTV), 480P(EDTV), 720P(HDTV), 1080I(HDTV), 1080P(FHDTV)
# Computer support: 640x480/800x600/1024x768/1360x768/1920x1080 via VGA/HDMI
# Display compatibility: 1080P (FHDTV)
# Response time: 8ms
# Colors: 1.06 billion
# Brightness cd/m2 (typical): 400
# Contrast ratio: 50,000:1

# Viewable angle: 178/178 degrees(H&V)

Audio:
# SRS TruSurround HD™: yes
# Built-in 5W x 2 speakers

Inputs/Outputs:
# HDMI with HDCP: 2
# RF (F Connector for internal tuner): 1
# Composite video and stereo audio (one stereo audio shared with S-video input): 1
# Component YPbPr plus stereo audio: 1
# S-Video plus stereo audio (shared with Composite Video): 1
# Computer RGB plus Stereo Audio: 1

Special Features:
# Zero bright defective pixel guarantee: yes
# V-Chip: yes
# 3D Comb Filter: yes
# 3:2 or 2:2 reverse pull-down: yes
# ATSC with 8VSB & QAM demodulation: yes
# ATSC with MPEG-2 decoding: yes
# NTSC video decoding via video: yes via RF or composite video
# Progressive scan video: yes, thru component VGA or HDMI
# HDTV: yes, thru HDMI or component color temperature: 6500K, 9300K and 11000
# Color fine tuning: independent red, green and blue
# Removable base: yes
# Wall mounting specifications:
# Hole pattern: 100mm x 100mm
# Screw size: M4
# Screw length: 8mm
# Screw pitch: 0.7mm

Power:
# Voltage range: 100~240Vac at 50/60 Hz
# Power consumption: 72W (average), <1W at 120 standby
# Certifications: energy star 3.0, ATSC Spec A/65, EIA/CEA-766-A
# Compliances: CSA/CSA-US, FCC Class B

I did. I had it for about a week got it from costco. The backlight bleed on it was really bad. And it had some color shift to it. It wasn't a totally bad lcd. It was ok I guess....I just didn't care for the backlight bleed...

0084522600252_L4.jpg

I did. I had it for about a week got it from costco. The backlight bleed on it was really bad. And it had some color shift to it. It wasn't a totally bad lcd. It was ok I guess....I just didn't care for the backlight bleed...

were the viewing angles as advertised? also, how was reading txt?

So is my LG 42LH30...it has very little input lag, making it suitable for PC gaming to an extent.

If you're using it as a monitor you don't really need a large viewing angle, sincve you'll be sitting right in front of it.

Anyway, the main thing going for the Vizios is they have a great bang for the buck. I use a couple of them at home and I haven't had any trouble with them.

On sale now at Target.com, 90 day returns allowed to any of their brick and mortar stores.

More details: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1447112

LG S-IPS panel? Wouldn't that be a freak of nature at 26" and only $300.

Yes, and considering it's 1080p, it is a good deal. The equivalent LG model is the 26LU55 I believe. You may want to compare the two (if possible) and see which seems better.

I just picked this up today to use as a monitor. Sadly its going back. I can confirm its not a TN panel. The view angles are pretty good on panel. However, the PC connection for this TV is VGA. Hooking up the PC to HDMI gives you bleeding text? Its hard to explain but normal black text on white background sort of fades dark to light. Bold is fine but regular text I couldn't figure out how to fix it. Neither could Vizio.

Now on VGA the Text is fine but the picture is no where near as sharp as it is on HDMI go figure. I have a home office so I need sharp text. Tomorrow I'm sadly packing it up and making the 40 mile trip back to Sams Club.

Does anyone know of a model they carry between 25 and 32 that has the 1:1 pixel mapping? Preferably something that doesn't have a TN panel priced under 700 dollars.

Oh well back to the drawing board. I had such high hopes for this. If anyone knows a trick or something I should try let me know while I still have it hooked up. I'll check back here later.

Thanks!

Oh well back to the drawing board. I had such high hopes for this. If anyone knows a trick or something I should try let me know while I still have it hooked up. I'll check back here later.

Thanks!
Too bad it didn't work out for ya, i wonder if there was an issue with your particular TV or if all of them have the same problem. Oh well, 40 miles is a bit much to risk and find out imho, you may as well try something more proven.

There's the LG and Samsung 32" models being discussed here a lot lately, people seem to love them. I forget the model numbers but maybe try a search here using the keywords "LG samsung monitor" and see what you come up with. $700 would get you most or all of the proven choices from what i remember, now it's up to you to choose the features that are most important to you. Once you figure out the models i'm trying to remember, you can follow-up with more research at the AVS forums.

Good luck either way.

Hey, Thanks for the reply.
I figured I'd post my results because I know a lot of people were wanting to buy this model. I'm registered over at AVS so i'll be sure to pop over there also.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll do a search for them.

Hey, Thanks for the reply.
I figured I'd post my results because I know a lot of people were wanting to buy this model. I'm registered over at AVS so i'll be sure to pop over there also.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll do a search for them.
No problem,

I found one of the LG models/series btw: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034921021&postcount=9, i think this is the corresponding AVS thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1132241&page=18

Can't remember the 2 or 3 model samsungs though, i think one of them may end with the number "550", but as i said there's a few models. I'm not 100% sure but i think people were complaining about a panel lottery so research the samsungs before pulling the trigger.

I will, thank you for the links.
I've been playing around with the Vizio. If I change the fonts in my browser, like Microsofts clear type, I'm finding I can see a lot better.. Now its a debate on if I want to keep it knowing even with a work around there is still a font problem. My last monitor worked fine on that font before I changed it.

I'm finding IE and Firefox works best for this. Chrome is not so much. Some sites it adjusts the font and some it doesn't. Firefox looks the best between IE and Chrome.

The only game I've had a chance to try is Dragon Age. It looks fantastic, but I tried it on VGA. I need to get some sounds hooked up for HDMI so I can try it in that.

I'm finding the colors are very vivbrant. My viewing angles don't shift so I know it has a decent panel. For 350 its not a bad deal at all. Its just that text issue of knowing its there that gets me lol.

I'm going to look at those models also. 26'' was the perfect size for my desk. 32'' wouldn't leave a lot of room for my laptops that set on both sides but I suppose I could squeeze it in if I have no choice.

My husband as the Hanns G and the view angles on that one bug me so this is a step up for sure.

I found the 32'' version of that LD at Best Buy, it is within my price range. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll do further research on that one to see how the text is on it.

I will, thank you for the links.
I've been playing around with the Vizio. If I change the fonts in my browser, like Microsofts clear type, I'm finding I can see a lot better.. Now its a debate on if I want to keep it knowing even with a work around there is still a font problem. My last monitor worked fine on that font before I changed it.

I'm finding IE and Firefox works best for this. Chrome is not so much. Some sites it adjusts the font and some it doesn't. Firefox looks the best between IE and Chrome.

The only game I've had a chance to try is Dragon Age. It looks fantastic, but I tried it on VGA. I need to get some sounds hooked up for HDMI so I can try it in that.

I'm finding the colors are very vivbrant. My viewing angles don't shift so I know it has a decent panel. For 350 its not a bad deal at all. Its just that text issue of knowing its there that gets me lol.

I'm going to look at those models also. 26'' was the perfect size for my desk. 32'' wouldn't leave a lot of room for my laptops that set on both sides but I suppose I could squeeze it in if I have no choice.

My husband as the Hanns G and the view angles on that one bug me so this is a step up for sure.

I found the 32'' version of that LD at Best Buy, it is within my price range. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll do further research on that one to see how the text is on it.

I just noticed something, Sam's club and Amazon has the 32" LG 32LH30 for a lower price than BestBuy, how convenient ey? :D. Personally i'd take the money saved and sink it into a 3+ year protection plan. The LG also has a super-ips panel with 178 wide viewing angles in case you were curious.

Oh yea, another time to look out for bleeding text over hdmi: in 3D games. You may be able to correct text issues in windows, but they may still peek thru on colored text in games. Just a friendly heads up.

Either which way though, some more research time would be well worth it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Oh, you are so right. I didn't consider the text being crippled in games. This could be a factor whenever I start playing my next MMO. Hmmm..you've given me a lot to think about for sure. My husband keeps saying HDTV don't work as a monitor. It works fine on my living room TV.. 52'' Samsung. I've never noticed a text issue on that one. I know its just a manner of finding the right one.

I didn't know Sams had the LG!. I'm tempted to just drag my laptop in and start making them hook it up to different sets. I even have Amazon Prime so free shipping too! I'm still searching for reviews on the text. So far I haven't found anything. But I'm still looking! :)

Oh, you are so right. I didn't consider the text being crippled in games. This could be a factor whenever I start playing my next MMO. Hmmm..you've given me a lot to think about for sure. My husband keeps saying HDTV don't work as a monitor. It works fine on my living room TV.. 52'' Samsung. I've never noticed a text issue on that one. I know its just a manner of finding the right one.

I didn't know Sams had the LG!. I'm tempted to just drag my laptop in and start making them hook it up to different sets.
Hubby is partly right, a very high percentage of HDTV's do not work 100% correctly as monitors.

Are you going to have these TV's hooked up to laptops 100% of the time? Or will you normally keep them hooked up to a conventional tower with a graphics card? I ask because laptops don't always have the greatest video output quality (some do), and that could be hampering you right there.

Hit up the AVS forum link i posted above, they go pretty in depth on text quality, so you should find your answer in there.

Thanks, I'm looking over at AVS site now. So far I'm hearing a TV that actually as a HDMI PC input is best. Now to find one lol.

Yes most of the time it will be running off the laptop. It has a Nvidia GTX 260 so it should be ok. The other is a Mac that I use to work with and I don't mind running that one on the VGA.

Hey SJetski71, I just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. You're links lead me to the LG 32LH30. I picked up the last one my best buy had at 599 and it worked great for text right out of the box. I'm very happy!

Thank you again so much!

Hey SJetski71, I just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. You're links lead me to the LG 32LH30. I picked up the last one my best buy had at 599 and it worked great for text right out of the box. I'm very happy!

Thank you again so much!
Never a problem, glad you pulled the trigger and got what you expected. By the sound of your post it sounds like it has great image quality.

Oh the image quality and the color is fantastic. I could never get the color where I wanted it on the Vizio. The LG was just great everywhere right out of the box. and the HDMI 1 and 2 for my PC and Mac both have great looking text. Miles ahead of where the Vizio was. I sold the Vizio to my mom for 300 and grabbed the LG. Saved me a 40 mile trip!

I purchased the Vizio VL260M from Target when they had it on sale for $280. And after waiting a month I finally got it.

I tested this out with 3 different computers, my cable HD box, bluray player, and Xbox 360.

First the PC with the ATI 4870 X2 video card.
I used a DVI to HDMI cable and it looked pretty bad. With the resolution set at 1920x1080 there was a black border all around the edge of the screen almost an inch thick. Text didn't look clear. I messed around for a while with ATI's Catalyst Control Center, but I could not clear this up. Using the "Zoom1" on the TV reduced the 1 inch black border to about only 1/4th inch, it looked better, but still not satisfactory.

So I tried the VGA cable next with the 4870 X2. This was much worse. I could only select up to 1440x900 resolution and the image was shifted far to the left with about 6 inches of black space on the right and bottom sides. At this point I'm not feeling too good.

Next PC up was with an Nvidia 8600GT. I went with the VGA connection on this computer. It looked darn near perfect. 1920x1080 resolution that perfectly fit the screen. Text looked great. I could definitely use this as a desktop monitor now.

Plugged the monitor into an Nvidia 8800 Ultra. Again the VGA looked perfect. I tried the DVI to HDMI. It also perfectly fits the screen (no black borders like the ATI card). The text didn't look right. I saw that bleeding effect that someone else mentioned. But I was able to fix this by going into the TV settings, turning the Sharpness down, and turning off some of the advanced features like Noise Reduction, Backlight Control, Adanced Adaptive Luma, and Film Mode. Looks like a perfect desktop monitor without those features turned on.

So a summary of the 3 video cards I tested. It seems my ATI card or it's drivers (Cat 9.10) definitely did not like this TV with either HDMI or VGA inputs. But it looked perfect on my two Nvidia cards.

I hooked up my cable box and Bluray player to the HDMI inputs and both looked good. It's a TV, so figured this would be fine.

Finally my Xbox 360. I have an old Xbox 360 without HDMI, so I plugged in the component cables. I was able to use 1080P resolution over component which surprised me. I was using an 24 inch LG monitor (1920x1200) and I could only use 720P with that monitor. So a pleasant surprise here.

Tried out the speakers on the TV. They should bad of course. But there is an optical output, which I sent to my Logitech Z-5500, which sounds much better. However I wish it had an digital coax audio output as well.

I think they are right about this being an S-IPS panel. It looks great and the viewing angles look good regardless of where I look at it from.

I don't think I could be more pleased.

I purchased the Vizio VL260M from Target when they had it on sale for $280. And after waiting a month I finally got it.
Interesting how your results differed so much between 3 different graphics cards, not to mention you had a 24" LG to compare it to. Keep that in mind if you ever upgrade your graphics card, be sure to buy it from a place that offers easy returns, just in case it doesn't play well with your new TV.

Glad you had good results and thx for sharing.

Interesting how your results differed so much between 3 different graphics cards, not to mention you had a 24" LG to compare it to. Keep that in mind if you ever upgrade your graphics card, be sure to buy it from a place that offers easy returns, just in case it doesn't play well with your new TV.

Glad you had good results and thx for sharing.

Most will, but good point.

The ATI automatically "underscans" with TVs causing a black border to show up on most newer TVs because they can do 1:1 pixel mapping. The overscan control in the Catalyst control centre under Desktops and Displays can fix it and make it expand to full screen in almost all cases. It's only enabled with TVs over HDMI, at least most of the time.

The ATI automatically "underscans" with TVs causing a black border to show up on most newer TVs because they can do 1:1 pixel mapping. The overscan control in the Catalyst control centre under Desktops and Displays can fix it and make it expand to full screen in almost all cases. It's only enabled with TVs over HDMI, at least most of the time.

I played around with the TV using the ATI card and found the overscan settings. The overscan was at 15% and I set it to 0. Now it fills up the screen properly and the text looks better.

So I tried testing some games and run into more problems. In some of the games the black border would come back again. With WOW it would not detect the refresh rate and only gave me 25, 50, and 75Hz as choices. Not 60 that I need. When I applied 60 manually to the config.wtf file, then WOW looked fine. Warhammer looked fine without any tweaking. Bioshock had the same problem WOW did.

I went into the TV's display info from the OSD and the TV said it was running at 1080i resolution. So it's using interlaced for some reason with some of these games. And I can't seem to figure out how to force it to use 1080p60. Seems like the ATI drivers just aren't recognizing the right EDID information or something.

Well I was tired of hitting my head on that brick wall. So I tried out the VGA connection again. This also didn't work right with the ATI card before. But I wanted to have another go at it. And apparently the monitor is running (or trying) at 75Hz. I set it to 60Hz and now the VGA connection looks fine with the ATI card. Infact it looks better than the HDMI input did.

I decided to try my games out with the VGA connection. All the games are now running at the right 1080p60 resultion. So the VGA input is working great now, as well as it did with the Nvidia cards and certainly much better than the HDMI did with the ATI card.

Overall I'm still very happy. I had not really planned on using the HDMI inputs with my computer anyway since they'll be used by something else. And the VGA works great with the ATI card and I think I'll probably have this hooked up to the computer with the Nvidia 8800 Ultra anyway (got a 30 inch monitor on my ATI card, so got plenty of space there).

I was looking for a larger replacement for my 19" 1280x1024 monitor, but I wanted to keep similar DPI. 26" 1080p fit the bill, but it is very hard to find one that in not TN and that fits the budget. I hate TN because, even if you sit in right in front of it, top and bottom of the screen will have color shifts as you lean back in your chair. This TV was perfect. I got it for $315 from Amazon I think, and I have been very happy with it.

I am not using HDMI connection since my video card does not support it natively, and I do want to use built-in speakers. I am using the VGA connection, and it works perfectly. The image is as good or superior to my old 19" that used DVI.

The panel is IPS for sure. I highly recommend it, especially if you are looking for something with built-in speakers (remote is very handy too).

Yes, I am a new guy here.

I've found that the 26" Vizio works quite well as a monitor. You first must turn off all the auto contrast, color and back lighting in the advanced picture settings. I have a Mac Mini connected via a DVI cable to an HDMI adapter. I had all the problems stated above before playing with the advanced settings. It even calibrates quite nicely using a Huey.

Back