Has Bungie fixed the Halo Reach co-op HDD Issue yet?

Itchyeyes

Gawd
About a month ago, my brother and I bought my Dad a 4GB 360 for his B-Day so we could play some Halo Reach co-op together. Shortly thereafter I found out about the co-op limitations if you don't have a hard drive. At the time, it was said that Microsoft was "quickly working to resolve it". Since then I've been telling my dad to hold off buying it until they release an update, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. Does anyone know if they've fixed this issue yet, or if there are any concrete plans to get it fixed in the near future?

Thanks.

As of last Friday, no. Same thing happened to my friend, bought him a xbox 4gb model, and Halo Reach.. just for being a cool guy. We installed it, couldnt play. Even using a flash drive to install the game to, it doesnt work. It needs the actual hard drive. Was kind of misleading, I didnt think the flash drives would have been treated any differently.

Gears of War 2, works fine in all modes on the 4gb..

I'd just grab a 250GB WD drive and be done with it.

A DIY install is only about $40-50 for the 250GB.

oh damn I didnt know they had already found a way to replace the drive with non standard drives. Ill have to keep that in mind when I replace my old school xbox.

oh damn I didnt know they had already found a way to replace the drive with non standard drives. Ill have to keep that in mind when I replace my old school xbox.

I saw the tutorial, and it's pretty simple. IIRC, you just pop the drive in and use something to set it on so it doesn't wiggle around inside the 360. It didn't look difficult at all...

I'd just grab a 250GB WD drive and be done with it.

A DIY install is only about $40-50 for the 250GB.
This is for my father who lives in another state. I think a DIY job is a little bit out of his ability level, and I'm too far away to play tech support for him. I think we'll just find a different game to play instead.

If he can install the MS xbox drive, he shouldnt have any issues with the DIY, if its really what they are saying. You open the bottom of the xbox and just slide the drive in. It used SATA ports laptop style drive. I wouldnt doubt if just some tape over the HDD port would be enough to keep it in there.

To my understanding from all the complaining on these boards about people being cheap and then complaining that their cheapness came to bite them in the ass. Isnt this an Xbox issue and not a Bungie issue? Or maybe I'm wrong.

To my understanding from all the complaining on these boards about people being cheap and then complaining that their cheapness came to bite them in the ass. Isnt this an Xbox issue and not a Bungie issue? Or maybe I'm wrong.
It's a Bungie issue. Co-op in Halo 3 and ODST was limited to only 360s with hard drives because they needed some storage space on the machine. However, between ODST and Halo Reach Microsoft did 2 things. First, they opened up the Xbox so that you could use USB flash memory sticks up to 16GB for storage. Second, they released a new 360 with 4GB of built in flash memory. Either of these solutions is enough to support Halo Reach co-op, but Bungie didn't fix their code to account for this. And since neither of these solutions is technically a hard drive, Halo Reach considers them to be incompatible.

I think its fairly safe to assume that when you buy the new xbox being advertised on tv for $199, then buy the hot new xbox game also being advertised on tv, you expect them to work together. this has nothing to do with people being cheap.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

If he can install the MS xbox drive, he shouldnt have any issues with the DIY, if its really what they are saying. You open the bottom of the xbox and just slide the drive in. It used SATA ports laptop style drive. I wouldnt doubt if just some tape over the HDD port would be enough to keep it in there.

You can't just drop any drive in, you have to buy specific series of WD harddrives and use a formating/flashing tool turn the drive into an X360 harddrive. You need to boot into dos to do this with a boot disk (floppy/cd/usb).

After that yeah its not too hard to put the HD into a Xbox slim without having a craddle.

Back