has this been done/can it be done?

gigglebyte

2[H]4U
hey all...well my SK41Gs PSU went belly up and I am exploring a few options here

1) break down and just buy a new damn PSU for the comp
2) get a new case (non ssf) and see if I can transplant the guts into that
3) get a new system with a large enough case to also put the guts of my SK41G and run off a KVM

now here are my issues:

I don't want to dump too much money into this since I am wanting to upgrade before too long anyway and that will be a new system for the most part and the cheapest PSU I have been able to find is about $60 shipped...now if I am going to have to spend $60 just for a PSU I can pick up a decent case for right about that which brings option #2 into play and another issue...can you mount these boards vertically? I am concerened that if I did that it would put too much of a strain on the heat pipe and damage the board/CPU

now if I go with option 3 then there would be some modding challenges but I think it could be done with a Y adapter for the PSU and since it would just be the mobo and CPU don't think there would be that much of an extra load on the system and then I could have a server in my box as well as my main rig

Your option is to gett SilentX 250 watt PSU.
It has much more power and it's silent.

MD

I concur - option #1 seems like the only real idea.
2. Sure you could get it to work, but why? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of buying the multi-hundred dollar SFF in the first place?
3. Interesting idea, except I don't think there is such a thing as a power splitter for PSUs. I could be wrong, though.

It would seem a waste to put a nice little mobo like that into a full tower case. I don't think the weight of the ICE would be an issue mounted sideways as there are lots of huge HSF units out there that weight a lot more than the ICE.

You could use a normal ATX power supply if you kept it outside of the shuttle :) You could also probably take the guts of the ATX power supply out and remount them where the 5.25 bay is, but then you'd need an external 5.25 bay

well I love the form factor BUT I found out that I hate being locked into a system that I can't upgrade the mobo on :(

right now I have been sniped out of a PSU for my comp yet again so I think it will be option 2 for now and 3 down the line though I am still considering getting a microATX case and possibly a new HSF and mount in these guts in that case but I am still up in the air right now

well I decided on an Antec 1650B and was able to get all the parts fit with out much problem...I did have to cut the base of the shuttle out so I could use those mounting points but other than that it worked out nice....now when I upgrade I should be able to figure out some way to mount this in the bottom of the case :D either that or scratch build one for it

Back