Have my first SSD coming (For boot) any optimization tips?

Xathian

Weaksauce
I have a 40GB SSD coming for my boot drive (And my Adobe Collection) and I was going to put my Windows 7 Ultimate on it. This is my first SSD.

Any tips for things I should change to make the most of my SSD?

Update its firmware, set BIOS to AHCI mode and install Windows 7. That is all you need to do.

be sure to do a fresh install of windows 7. that is all

here is the info the set AHCI after windows is installed if you decide to go that route.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.

Reboot and change to AHCI in the bios.

Nothing.

Provided you are using a SSD-aware OS (IE Windows 7), all the snake oil SSD boost guides are about as useful as the old Black Viper Tweaks that used to be popular a while ago.

Align the partition, windows 7 does it by ddefault, but you should doublecheck to make sure it's done right.

Update the firmware if you have an OCZ drive, or an intel drive. Update the firmware regardless of the drive you have. It generally updates it to support trim.

Turn off most of the Ultimate stuff you don't need. The full up ultimate install takes up like 13 GB of space.

You're not supposed to defrag an SSD. That always comes up. My question is will Win 7 and/or defragging programs even let you try?

update the bios and download ssdtweak, it's made by some guy on the ocz forums and it does all the "other" stuff for you like turn off defrag and stuff.

I would make smaller my page file 1gb or so and disable hibernation. Those will free up alot of disk space. Also perhaps redirect your user profile media folders to your other drive. Dont want to accidentally copy 50gb of movies to your my videos folder and fill your drive. Also to give your system optimal boot time setup any startup programs that cause uac prompt to run as a scheduled task to avoid the uac prompt and get a actual fast usable desktop. Also a decent tweak is to have the web browser cache in memory only if you use firefox. This has benefits to reduce writing to the ssd and well the browser is faster anyhow like that and more secure. I personally disable the system restore to free up more disk space on ssd aswell.

Hey it can be tough wtih windows and programs on 40gb heh

Still you should not defrag SSDs; if you do you will be fragmenting them; not defragmenting them. That's also because the OS/software has no idea where the SSD really stores its data. LBA 1 and 2 may be at the very start of the SSD capacity; or it may be mapped to some random cell.

That's why defragmentation will never work, and will only make the SSD slower and less endurable.

What mobo do you have first. Should always list some of your spec so a better answer can be given. Hope its not an nVidia board

Back