have to reinstall vista for 65nm to 45 nm upgrade?

jkw

Gawd
anybody know if i will need to or should reinstall windows vista when upgrading the cpu on my asus maxiumus formlua x38 mobo? i'll be pulling out my Q6600 65nm processor, and replacing it with a QX9650 45nm processor.

No, you already have a multiprocessor kernel and an Intel processor so there should be no incompatibilities.

Just make sure your current BIOS supports the Yorkie.

You shouldent have to, but a good rule of thumb that im sure most of us follow is when replacing anything other than ram its a great time to format.

What if i go from a 65nm Celeron 420 single core to a Q9450?

same thing?

You shouldent have to, but a good rule of thumb that im sure most of us follow is when replacing anything other than ram its a great time to format.

Everyone just got finished saying that you don't have to, and now you're saying that it's a good rule of thumb? :confused::rolleyes:

If you replace ANYTHING in the system, other than the motherboard, you shouldn't have to format. It's like cutting your arm off to heal a small cut you get on your hand: TOTALLY UNNECESSARY. This holds the same for even your hard drive; if you ghost properly, you shouldn't have to format. If you take the time to properly uninstall and install drivers for your devices/peripherals, there's no need to format and install from scratch.

I'm personally of the avoid-formatting-unless-it's-the-only-option school, but I might be unusual around here! I can kinda understand people doing it on a machine that runs a couple of games and not much else, but it would take me several days of reinstallation and reconfiguration to get my system back to how I wanted it after formatting (that is, if I had a separate OS partition..).

I'm personally of the avoid-formatting-unless-it's-the-only-option school, but I might be unusual around here! I can kinda understand people doing it on a machine that runs a couple of games and not much else, but it would take me several days of reinstallation and reconfiguration to get my system back to how I wanted it after formatting (that is, if I had a separate OS partition..).

Funny you mention that. I always split any computer I have to work on into an OS/Data partition schema and partimage the system's OS drive to an image on the data. There might be a few configuration/patching to be done after a "restore" but it saves a lot of time.

anybody know if i will need to or should reinstall windows vista when upgrading the cpu on my asus maxiumus formlua x38 mobo? i'll be pulling out my Q6600 65nm processor, and replacing it with a QX9650 45nm processor.

I'm curious on how you would think this? Did you read it somewhere on the net?

I'm not sure about vista, but I didn't have to reinstall xp after upgrading from e6600 to e8400 and this was also switching from a 975x mobo to a p35.

Funny you mention that. I always split any computer I have to work on into an OS/Data partition schema and partimage the system's OS drive to an image on the data. There might be a few configuration/patching to be done after a "restore" but it saves a lot of time.

I was a little scared off after making an OS partition that was too small back with Windows 2000.. it refused to even install patches due to lack of space.

I just replaced my mobo/cpu from a P965/E6600 to a P35/E8400 last week and all I had to do was reactivate Vista.

Replacing the CPU should not generally trigger the activation process but changing the MB will.
It is suggested to re-install Windows after upgrading the MB.

However, Windows should not be reinstalled when upgrading RAM or the CPU.
I never did so and never had a problem.

I was a little scared off after making an OS partition that was too small back with Windows 2000.. it refused to even install patches due to lack of space.

The windows patches are smart enough now it will use the partition with the largest amount of space thats writable to extract/run setup. (honestly my system partition is sitting at 6gb used with some games on it (Steam/WoW sits on d:\games)

You don't have to, but Vista does go through "found new hardware" and installs new driver for the QX9650.

Also, make sure that you reset the bios setting to default after installing the new cpu.

Until today I would have agreed with everyone stating that you do not need to re-install the os going from a e6600 (65nm) to a e8400 (45nm).

Friday I got a new board and RAM, my e8400 arrived today. This weekend I re-installed Vista on the new board with the e6600 so I could just drop in my e8400 today and go. Well after dropping in the e8400 in all the media center related processes kept crashing. Launching media center and trying to watch a show MCE told me I had no tuner devices installed. I tried serveral things to regain stability, updating drivers, disabling one tuner or the other, double and triple checking memory timings and CPU settings. I finally gave up and did a clean install and the problems went away.

Not sure what went wrong and I would have never guessed it would happen with just a CPU swap.

Specs: IP35-e, 4GB (2x2) G.Skill 1066, Hauppauge HVR1600 x 2, Geforce 8800GT. Tuners were configured for ATSC and Analog.

NO way in hell do you need to reinstall for a simple CPU swap. You shouldn't need to do anything except make sure your BIOS is up to date.

In fact, you don't even need to do a reinstall for most motherboard swaps, if you do things correctly.

There's a tool for XP (not sure about Vista) on the CD called sysprep. You use that and "reseal" the operating system. It basically uninstalls all the drivers / hardware & gets the system ready as if it was a first booth.

Using sysprep / reseal has worked every time for me, except once when going from a Via motherboard to a SIS motherboard. (mini-ITX system) But that was kind of to be expected when going from crap to crap.

NO way in hell do you need to reinstall for a simple CPU swap. You shouldn't need to do anything except make sure your BIOS is up to date.

In fact, you don't even need to do a reinstall for most motherboard swaps, if you do things correctly.

There's a tool for XP (not sure about Vista) on the CD called sysprep. You use that and "reseal" the operating system. It basically uninstalls all the drivers / hardware & gets the system ready as if it was a first booth.

Using sysprep / reseal has worked every time for me, except once when going from a Via motherboard to a SIS motherboard. (mini-ITX system) But that was kind of to be expected when going from crap to crap.

Yeah, sysprep. I was going to mention that. Sysprep was a lifesaver when I was working tech a few years back. But it's too complicated for most people. It'd be easier for them to do clean installs.

I would have agreed until last night.
Perfectly working System + new CPU = borked system. (latest bios and what not)
Re-install of OS = Perfectly working System.

I would have agreed until last night.
Perfectly working System + new CPU = borked system. (latest bios and what not)
Re-install of OS = Perfectly working System.

Changing the CPU does NOT require an OS reinstall, regardless of what you or anyone else says. PERIOD. If you had to reinstall your OS, it was due to something else (I'm thinking radically different newer BIOS???)

As a matter of fact, I just swapped 4 different types of CPU into my rig and booted it up just for the heck of it: a Celeron 775, a Pentium D, a Core 2, and a Core 2 Quad. No BSODs, no errors, nothing. Just slower or faster depending on what I installed.

Changing the CPU does NOT require an OS reinstall, regardless of what you or anyone else says. PERIOD. If you had to reinstall your OS, it was due to something else (I'm thinking radically different newer BIOS???)

As a matter of fact, I just swapped 4 different types of CPU into my rig and booted it up just for the heck of it: a Celeron 775, a Pentium D, a Core 2, and a Core 2 Quad. No BSODs, no errors, nothing. Just slower or faster depending on what I installed.

All I did was take a machine that was running fine and had been installed the day before.
I shut down the machine
swapped the CPU
booted up
checked the bios settings for CPU & RAM to ensure everything detected correctly with the new CPU.
Booted windows.

While Windows was installing the CPU drivers Ehrecvr.exe crashed three times. Every boot after that caused the process the crash the same way every time the OS was booted. Windows Media Center was un-usable.

While your testing worked you weren't using doing the testing on the same config and probably not on Vista SP1.

I found two hotfixes for Vista related to the error I was seeing, maybe swapping the CPU got my machine in a state where these bugs repro.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936229/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938928

While your testing worked you weren't using doing the testing on the same config and probably not on Vista SP1.

I found two hotfixes for Vista related to the error I was seeing, maybe swapping the CPU got my machine in a state where these bugs repro.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936229/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938928

Sorry, I don't understand the first part of what you are saying, so I'll respond to what I'm understanding of it.

Testing was on the EXACT same rig that you see in my sig. Nothing was changed; Windows left intact. This is a dual boot of WinXP Pro 32bit and Vista x64 Ultimate, each with their respective latest updates. Granted, I do not have SP1 on the Vista installation, but that point is moot; it's not "officially" out for the masses yet.

So simply swapping CPUs in and out produced not a single error. It wouldn't be the first time I've done it. Over my 15 years of experience, a simple CPU swap has never warranted an OS reinstall. As a matter of fact, at work, I just upgraded our Dell Poweredge 2800 SBS Server 2003 rig with dual Xeons with larger cache. All I did was pull the old CPUs out and install the new ones and fire the machine back up. Not a single configuration did I have to do.

I guess that's more than enough to establish the fact that you don't have to reinstall your OS for a simple CPU swap.

Sorry, I don't understand the first part of what you are saying, so I'll respond to what I'm understanding of it.

Testing was on the EXACT same rig that you see in my sig. Nothing was changed; Windows left intact. This is a dual boot of WinXP Pro 32bit and Vista x64 Ultimate, each with their respective latest updates. Granted, I do not have SP1 on the Vista installation, but that point is moot; it's not "officially" out for the masses yet.

So simply swapping CPUs in and out produced not a single error. It wouldn't be the first time I've done it. Over my 15 years of experience, a simple CPU swap has never warranted an OS reinstall. As a matter of fact, at work, I just upgraded our Dell Poweredge 2800 SBS Server 2003 rig with dual Xeons with larger cache. All I did was pull the old CPUs out and install the new ones and fire the machine back up. Not a single configuration did I have to do.

I guess that's more than enough to establish the fact that you don't have to reinstall your OS for a simple CPU swap.

I've done CPU swaps in the past, worked great. I even moved a hard drive from a Dell 2950 with 2 Dual Core CPUs to a 2950 with a single quad core and it worked fine.

But going from e6600 to e8400 caused me to have to re-install windows.

So I guess what it boils down to is I'm saying that you cannot always count on not having to re-install the OS. Not that you must re-install the OS when changing the CPU.

So I guess what it boils down to is I'm saying that you cannot always count on not having to re-install the OS. Not that you must re-install the OS when changing the CPU.

That's acceptable. It's normal to expect anything within the realm of upgrading components; nevertheless, if done properly, upgrading components can be simple. There are just so many factors that can make it a hassle, so in that regard your statement is correct.

Tacking on a similar question to the original post. I tried upgrading from a E2140 to a QX9650 today and I can't get it to post! I was hoping my bios would automatically detect the new processor and load some default settings to let it post at least.

Do I need to set the timings to match my new processor in bios right before I install it? (have not tried that yet) I have the MSI P35 FR motherboard, which I already checked does not need a bios update to support quad core. Has anyone had a similar experience, or perhaps processor is a dud... I know everything else works, I plug the E2140 back in and it works fine.

For XP, probably as it has to set the cache size of the CPU(which is done only on install), someone correct me on this, SP1/2 may have dealt with the issue.

Turns out I did need to update the bios according to tech support (actually fast and useful for once!). The bios release notes makes no mention of adding any new cpu support... I'm guessing they didn't want to advertise the fact they didn't add QX9650 support until 4 months after the cpu was released... sigh.

Kleox thanks for suggestion, but the system wouldn't even boot and I'm running vista 64

I did the same thing, upgraded from an E6600 to an E8400. I had the same problem when I enabled hyperthreading on an old 3.0 Pentium D. I thought the pentium had issues with that motherboard, but I come to find out that Microsoft is at fault here.

Here's what I found:

https://www.microsoft.com/communiti...5C6-A039-21090AA8DCC7&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=2

That link takes you to several ideas of what might be going on, but my issue:

MICROSOFT DRM!!!

Bastages put some kind of DRM identification in that disables Media Center when you upgrade the processor. Must be linked to hardware IDs of some sort. All I did is this:

OttoMate 3/22/2008 10:28 PM PST

Go into folder options and uncheck the Hide protected operating system files
and click apply. Then go back to the folder
ProgramData\Microsofyt\Windows\DRM and you will/should be able see the files
that are there. Drag them all to the recycle bin. This fix works fine. I
tried installing the netflix movie viewer on vista 64 ultimate and it caused
the DRM problem. Deleting all files in the folder restored WMC so that you
can watch TV.

Then my tuner was detected and I could set it up again and successfully watch t.v. and everything else seemed to work as normal. I no longer received either errors in ehPrivJob.exe or ehRecvr.exe that I was receiving constantly right after the upgrade. It seems Microsoft has everything to do with this error. They do list some sort of hotfix on Microsoft's web site, but you have to e-mail them to apply to download it. Total crap if you ask me.

Hopefully this gets to all of you that are having the same problem. Good luck and feel free to leave messages if you have any questions on this. For all of those considering upgrading to Vista, let this and many other problems be a warning. For those that have: Happy Hacking.

*Update* This may have to do with using an OEM version of the O.S. YMMV

-Olmec

I swtiched from an amd x2 4000+ nforce 4 ultra to an intel e8400 with nvidia 650i and booted right into windows and reloaded the drivers with no problems. I did format anyway =]

I JUST upgraded my E6600 to my E8400 like 4 days ago and didn't reinstall SHIZZLE except for my heatsink. :p

Back