Have to reset CMOS everytime..

l0cke

Gawd
I just installed a new mobo and video card in a computer. My first mistake was that I booted it up w/o RAM. So I put the RAM in and still no video. so I reset the CMOS and it works. Change the BIOS a bit and restart...no video. I reset the CMOS and boot up. Whoops forgot to plug in a hard drive. Shut down and plug that in...no video. Reset CMOS, okay now theres video. I let it boot all the way...it POSTS and sees my HDDS but won't boot off them (another problem). So I shut down and put a live CD in. No video, reset CMOS. It boots fine off the live cd, but still not off the HDDS.

All of the HDDS are IDE, and I've tired 3 different video cards with no different results. The new video card and mobo are installed because the old ones were not working and they worked fine in their old system.

Any ideas? Could it be a power problem?

My first thing would be to take everything loose, clear the CMOS and reinstall. If that doesn't help, swap out the power supply and on down the line with all components until it boots properly. If nothing helps, most likely it's the MoBo.

Try another battery? Maybe that one is too weak to hold the BIOS information.
Happened to me before with brand new mobos.

They can be had at most drug stores. # CS 232

Try another battery? Maybe that one is too weak to hold the BIOS information.
Happened to me before with brand new mobos.

They can be had at most drug stores. # CS 232

I went to a store today and couldn't find CS 232 anywhere. All I found that was close is CR 2032. Is that it?

I installed a new battery, but it still has the problem. Any ideas? And no change on RMA'ing the mobo at all lol

if it wont boot off of your HDs but recognizes that they are there than I would go into BIOS and set the boot order, making whichever HD that has ur preferred OS on it to boot first.

if u list ur comp specs people may be able to give u more detailed help.

definitely post your system specs. is the computer shutting down on you or is it simply just not posting? have you tried booting up with the bare minimum and working your way from there? also are you using sysprep for the mobo swap or just a complete reformat?

I had a similar problem with a dfi board.. It ended with me updating the bios and then doing a reboot to the same problem.. I removed the cmos battery overnight and tried again, same problem.. Then I checked the option in bios for reset configuration data or reset escd and that did the trick for me.. hope it helps..

Back