HCI Memtest Question and Advice Needed

JustinSane

2[H]4U
I have an i5 3570k and a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H. I got 2x4 sticks of G.Skill F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL that turns out both sticks are bad. One of the sticks wont even let the PC boot and the other that will as soon as I started testing with HCI Memtest, errors starting popping up endlessly. I was wondering if anyone had a good RAM recommendation for this board. I keep hearing about some Samsung sticks that are really nice but I'm not sure what they are exactly.

TL;DR - Need 2x4 sticks of RAM for GA-Z77X-UD3H. Any recommendations?

EDIT: Are these the nice Samsung sticks everyone is talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Elect...8&qid=1358712463&sr=8-1&keywords=MV-3V4G3D/US

And will those work nicely with the GA-Z77X-UD3H board?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, those are the ones.

Should it be ok with that board? Not on the compatibility list and I'm just freaking out at this point. I want something that will for sure work.

EDIT: Ending up going for Patriot RAM PGD38G1600ELK that was on the Gigabyte compatibility list. I need to chill out lol.

EDIT 2: Cancelled the RAM cause I was reading not to use 1.65v with ivy bridge. I'mma lose my mind. Someone please help meh find something that will work nice with i5 3570k and GA-Z77X-UD3H.

Last edited:
EDIT 2: Cancelled the RAM cause I was reading not to use 1.65v with ivy bridge. I'mma lose my mind. Someone please help meh find something that will work nice with i5 3570k and GA-Z77X-UD3H.

Hi, JustinSane,

Try two sticks of the Kingston KVR1066D3N7/4G that are on the Qualified Vendors List (QVL) for your motherboard. Or, any of the other RAM on the QVL. The sticks should be inserted into memory slots 1 and 3.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Uh, the Patriot PGD38G1600ELK kit is 1.5v. Don't know where you got that its "1.65v". Its also listed on the official Memory Support List for the motherboard.

So...uncancel the order. Or choose something else on that list. But lay off the energy drinks ;).

lol true about the energy drinks. But Amazon had the voltage listed at 1.65. I went ahead and got Corsair Vengeance sticks that work with the board. Hopefully no more problems. Way too many problems been done had with this build.

Question though: Do you think it's OK to use the one stick of RAM that's bad for now on the PC? Can any damage be done using it while we wait for a replacement? It was having browser crashes, programs crash when the machine starts, and sometimes BSOD.

Hope the new sticks work well (shakes fist at incorrect Amazon data).

Using that bad stick won't cause physical damage to other components, but it will likely corrupt and/or lose data you have active. Based on what you say the symptoms are when its installed. I wouldn't do it.

Then again, if you get the same symptoms with the new RAM, the problem cause moves instead to the motherboard, the power supply or even the CPU. Or attempting to overclock beyond what your samples of components are capable of.

So best bet on a new build you are experiencing problems on (after resetting everything in the BIOS back to their "defaults"): run Memtest86+ for a couple of hours. Or heck, even Windows own built-in tester (both of them run before the OS boots). That feature-crippled free HCI Memtest (last version dates from 2009) doesn't test with anywhere near the completeness (or accuracy) of the prior two. Due to the fact it runs within Windows.

Last edited:
And the trouble continues. Computer ran great for 8 hours, then about 50 mins ago the connection dropped and 10 secs later the machine froze up. This has happened 4 times in the past 30-40 mins. Gonna have to run a memtest tonight. So many problems. Never had this much trouble with a PC build. :(

Possible that some Windows stuff got messed up from running the bad RAM? Reformatting now so we'll see.

Last edited:
And the trouble continues. Computer ran great for 8 hours, then about 50 mins ago the connection dropped and 10 secs later the machine froze up. This has happened 4 times in the past 30-40 mins. Gonna have to run a memtest tonight. So many problems. Never had this much trouble with a PC build. :(

Possible that some Windows stuff got messed up from running the bad RAM? Reformatting now so we'll see.

Ah damn, sorry to hear :(. Yes, using the bad RAM (if it was in fact bad) can cause registry corruption, etc..

Are these new problems with the new RAM (and what model is that Corsair Vengeance you bought)? Are you overclocking? What are the specs/parts of the rest of your system? Are the drivers for everything (video, network card/chip, sound, etc.) all at the latest released versions?

Edit: And what Windows version? You have or run any AV software?

Last edited:
Ah damn, sorry to hear :(. Yes, using the bad RAM (if it was in fact bad) can cause registry corruption, etc..

Are these new problems with the new RAM (and what model is that Corsair Vengeance you bought)? Are you overclocking? What are the specs/parts of the rest of your system? Are the drivers for everything (video, network card/chip, sound, etc.) all at the latest released versions?

Edit: And what Windows version? You have or run any AV software?

It may have been, MAY have been (crossing fingers so hard) the fact that the wireless adapter was plugged into a USB 3.0 port. After it was moved the lock ups stopped. Please God let it be over.

All stock settings btw, Windows 7, and no AV yet.

Back