HD 3870 to FireGL?

I know previous gen cards were capable of being softmodded and could then run on the FireGL drivers, allowing for full support of OpenGL and what not, which is vital to what I do... unfortunately...

really whats going on is I have dual 3870s and they are brilliant with games but garbage with OpenGl based software.
Now, I can either return these two and get a single FireGL card that is not as good hardware wise for the same price... or upgrade them somehow :D

Any thoughts? has anyone done this with these cards yet?

Thanks alot!

I saw in some reviews and articles that the R6XX based FireGL are much faster than any G80 based Quadro

I'd seriously just return one and use the cash, possibly a little more too, and grab a Firegl 3600 or Quadro 570. I've seen so many posts from people who tried modding their Radeon/Geforce and ended up with interface hanging, opengl glitches, ect. Much better to just grab the cards and their drivers that are really optimized for that software. Those gaming cards have tastier power numbers but they aren't even fully utilized by the software you wanna use anyway really.

Given a little time im sure the softmod is coming. Its pretty darn closely related to the 2900xt. Just a difference of memory bus and process size.
BTW, 2900pro's can be had for 170 bucks and essentially ARE 2900xts just downclocked. They are power hungry, hot running, little monsters though.

I saw in some reviews and articles that the R6XX based FireGL are much faster than any G80 based Quadro

The reviews and first-hand experience I've had says quite the opposite. But it all depends on how much you're willing to spend. Our company uses FX3500s and those are really good performing cards. I'm also testing a FX570 and 1700 next week, I'll tell you how that goes.

The reviews and first-hand experience I've had says quite the opposite. But it all depends on how much you're willing to spend. Our company uses FX3500s and those are really good performing cards. I'm also testing a FX570 and 1700 next week, I'll tell you how that goes.

Ah nice, would be cool to hear the results

Back