HD 4850 with 2GB GDDR3 by powercolor (pics)

2GB 256bit of GDDR3 is a little bit of a waste. I like the cooler though, now only if they could make it to the 4870

IMG_0387_1.JPG[

if they make a 4870 with it that would be a good way to see if the card's ram does cause it to slow down at higher res

Thats pretty damn stupid. 512mb of DDR3 is all that is useful with a 256 bit bus.

Stupid, yes. But it'll get those "I have a 2gb video card" epeen guys.

The fan only has two wires? Will it spin at the ear shattering 100% speed all the time like on Gigabyte's Zalman cards? Also, too bad they didn't redesign the PCB to make it shorter.. Plenty of room around the cooler.

Thats pretty damn stupid. 512mb of DDR3 is all that is useful with a 256 bit bus.

so was your comment a 256bit data bus for memory has nothing to do wth the address bus used to access that memory.......

2GB of RAM for any single GPU seems like a waste in any case. 1GB would probably show decent performance gains at high resolutions and high levels of AA, but aside from that it isn't really necessary.

Definitely a waste. 2 GB won't do much, much like 1 GB wouldn't either.
The HD 4870 may benefit from 1 GB of GDDR5, but I'm doubting it will be enough to justify the extra cash to get one over the 512 MB model.

so was your comment a 256bit data bus for memory has nothing to do wth the address bus used to access that memory.......

You dont get it. The 256 bit bus with ddr3 memeory is bottlenecked to the point that adding any more ram over 512mb is useless.

You dont get it. The 256 bit bus with ddr3 memeory is bottlenecked to the point that adding any more ram over 512mb is useless.

I got eactly what you said........and it did not make any sense...........

I think it comes down to memory bandwidth, not bus width.

If you have a 512-bit bus width but your memory bandwidth is only 6.4GB/s, then yeah, having 2GB is useless due to the insanely low speed.

However, if you have a 64-bit bus width, but it is clocked so that the memory bandwidth is 150GB/s, then it would just come down to the GPU being powerful enough to utilize the 2GB available.

It has very little to do with bus width, though the bus width is important in itself.

Back