HD2000 ATI series and HDMI question.

i recently purchased an hdtv and i would like to know if all i need to plug my little media pc to my hdtv is a HD2000 series card and a dvi to hdmi adapter. does it matter what card i get? i will get sound from it too right? i have standalone blue-ray and hd players so i mainly want to play standard def content from my media server to the tv with minimal hassel.

btw, the reason why i mention the HD2000 series is because i have an agp pc that is just sitting collecting dust and all it needs is a vid card. i want something simple that i can plug-in using hdmi.

thanks in advance.

DVI doesn't carry audio, and i havent seen any dvi->hdmi adapters that can add the audio back in. You would have to run the dvi->hdmi cable, and a seperate audio cable. (spdif/toslink for dolby digital from dvds, or ~6 analog cables for gaming stuff..)

Just go with any half way decent AGP card that has a DVI-D port on it. Then use a DVI-->HDMI cable. For audio just use an optical or coax cable. Since you are just going to be using it for standard def, it doesn't matter much.

DVI doesn't carry audio, and i havent seen any dvi->hdmi adapters that can add the audio back in. You would have to run the dvi->hdmi cable, and a seperate audio cable. (spdif/toslink for dolby digital from dvds, or ~6 analog cables for gaming stuff..)

wrong

the HD2x00 series does in fact carry auto through its DVI port. you need to set it up in the sound settings (will be a seperate audio device) and buy a DVI to HDMI converter from ATI (others wont work).

i am running it right now on my media server with just HDMI connected... and there sound ^^

@ SippieCup, i have to buy the adapter from ati? what if the adapter already comes with the card? i also noticed that newegg sells many HD2000 cards without the adapter but after little searching i found many brands of that same adapter on newegg.

@ SippieCup, i have to buy the adapter from ati? what if the adapter already comes with the card? i also noticed that newegg sells many HD2000 cards without the adapter but after little searching i found many brands of that same adapter on newegg.

Yes but are they AGP? HDMI (audio) over DVI adapter doesn't work with the AGP cards AFAIK; it's a limitation of the AGP spec (and yet another reason to upgrade to a PCIe setup).

Back