HD44780 VFD Wiring Help

Format _C:

2[H]4U
I picked up a Noritake 2 X 40 HD44780 Compatable VFD on Ebay for cheap ($18) and I need to know how to wire it to a PC Parallel port

VFD Model is CU40025SCPB-U1J
and here is a scan of the data sheet with the pin out connections

11_3.JPG

Thanks

The HD44780 is one of the most common LCD interfaces and there is a load of information out there. Just search google and you should be able to find what you need.

On your circuit board there should be either pins or soldering points to interface the vfd. If their are 10 pins you have a 4bit lcd setup and if their are 14 you have 8bit. Every premade lcd program requires 8bit wiring. Mine was 4 bit and you can look at my thread its right next to this one and see what im going through to get it working. Simply look it up on google the mod you speak of has been done a million times

well the data sheet of the VFD won't do much..

First what kind of interface do you want to use.. i'm guessing a parallel port on your computer??

second.. what programs are you using to interface (i'm gonna guess your parallel port).. or will you write your own code??

we would need more info on the interface...

i've never wired a display to a PC but i'm sure it's not THAT hard... i really need to try it myself one day..

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
Ohh coorz FTW.. i think that covers it no??

Man i didn't know programs like smartie existed.. that's awesome.. makes it super easy..

Yeah HD44780 is arguably the easiest LCD to hook up to LPT.
For graphical LCD/VFD checkout LCDinfo, LCDStudio and Liquid-MP3 ;) And for LCD eyecandy checkout the LCD Gallery

Bwahaha I have 4 of those HD44780 lcds that I just cant figure out lol. Wiring should be right, LCD smartie works. Its easy until you try to get it to work and you dont get that default white line black line pattern. There is tons of information on it. If you get really confused, get the HD44780 data sheet and you can base the wiring on the pins of the chip to the pins on the board to confirm your guess.

I think I will sell them off before I go nuts trying again :rolleyes:
Searching google for it made me remember why I wanted to get a lcd in the first place. Time to try again! :p

coorz said:
Yeah HD44780 is arguably the easiest LCD to hook up to LPT.
For graphical LCD/VFD checkout LCDinfo, LCDStudio and Liquid-MP3 ;) And for LCD eyecandy checkout the LCD Gallery

those are some pretty LCDs.. i really gotta do something like this one o these days .. (DAMN YOU SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!)

I used to have the exact same LCD.
look around on noritake's website or send their support an email. they have real data sheets but they are really hard to find (i spent about 2 weeks to find them) unfortunatly i dont have the datasheets anymore.

from what i recall you may need a -24v supply for the VFD.

I let the smoke out on mine cause i wired it wrong.

RancidWAnnaRIot said:
.. (DAMN YOU SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!)

Damn i wished i was still at school, real life is way much harder ;)

The Noritake U1J is a drop in replacement for HD44780 LCD's so it's pin compatible. No need for -24v supply voltage or whatever.

ok I found a wiring guide for a HD44780 VFD at madshrimps and I'm going to try to make a plexi holder like that in the guide for my 2 X 40 VFD. I have to make a longer one as the 2 X 40 VFD is bigger. I'm buying the parts from Degikey and I'm using IDC Connectors.Does any know how to assemble IDC Connectors? as I have never done that before Thanks

So tell me... Is it still taboo to ask when Uller is going to be finished with lcdriver 2? :D

coorz said:
Damn i wished i was still at school, real life is way much harder ;)

The Noritake U1J is a drop in replacement for HD44780 LCD's so it's pin compatible. No need for -24v supply voltage or whatever.

well it always depends on what you're studying though..

at least all the peopel that i know that are out of college and have jobs. say it's much less stresseful and they have much more free time than when they were in college...

Hell, engineers have come to IEEE meetings here and they always say.. The hardest part in the life of an engineer is college itself

but that's for another thread

Back