HDCP DRM and 30"/2560x1600 displays?

UrineMachine

Limp Gawd
So I picked up an LG 30" display for my PC - its great. It has totally changed how I work on my PC.

BUT

I subscribe to Netflix and love the Instant Watch feature... however Instant Watch will not work if my resolution is at 2650x1600! I found that if I lower to like 1200x800 it will run, but looks terrible. I came from a 22" 1680x1050 display which worked. I suspect its an issue with DVI-D and HDCP or 2560x1600 and HDCP, but its killing me and I'd like for it to work.

Anyone know? Kind of BS that I spend $1k on a display to legally watch my Netflix subscription and I can't because of some DRM BS.

What do you mean 'Instant Watch will not work'? What exactly is NOT happening? Or is it giving you some kind of warning message?

It works fine for me on my 30". Are you playing it in the browser?

It works fine for me on my 30". Are you playing it in the browser?

Yeah trying to open it in IE.

I get:

Microsoft DRM software error
Your Microsoft Digital Rights Management software is not working properly and needs to be reset.

To resolve this issue, please call Netflix technical support at 1-866-402-2616, or contact technical support here and report the following error code:

If you are comfortable running a utility to fix this problem yourself, you may also follow the instructions in our FAQ on the Reset DRM Utility.
WMPError(C00D11B1)

Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.

He's right 8800GTX dosen't support HDCP over Dual Link DVI only Single Link so it limit it to 1920x1200.

Anything over won't work. 3 choices:
-Stay at low rez (meh no way)
-Try a VGA cable (but im realy not sure you can do 2560x1600 anyway with that)
-Or change your video card. All video cards with 8800GTX or + performance these days now support Dual Link DVI HDCP.

I had a similar problem with my 8800GT and my new AV amp.
With a direct connection to my TV no problem, through the amp the picture was almost unintelligible with coloured vertical stripes.
I read up a fair bit and it seems that newer cards have no problem with my amp.
Recently I upgraded to a GTX260 and straight away, it works through the amp.

I believe this to be a HDCP issue although no absolute clarification can be found.
So it seems my TV accepts an HDMI signal without HDCP but my amp doesnt.
With the GTX260 plugged through the amp and I power my PC down (turn it off), the screen turns into vertical stripey colours and looks very similar to when I had my 8800GT plugged in, and doesnt turn black as you would expect.
ie when there is no HDCP signal, the amp scrambles the picture.

Aw man - that means I need to buy that GTX 295 afterall :)

Been there recently myself, after my 8800 GTX died...(It always ran hot, guess it done did it in...)

(Went with a GTX 285 though, as I didn't want to have to replace my power supply. And I wasn't sure I had enough CPU to drive the 295. And wasn't ready to replace that either. Maybe I'll do a new machine for Windows 7...Still on XP....)

Think a Q6600 and Thermaltake 700 or 750w PSU are enough for an 8800 GTX 295? I may want to use my 8800 GTX as a physics card if possible. Do I have enough juice?

Think a Q6600 and Thermaltake 700 or 750w PSU are enough for an 8800 GTX 295? I may want to use my 8800 GTX as a physics card if possible. Do I have enough juice?

I'd suggest doing a search to see what people with dual 295 set ups are using...

(Think Tom's Hardware, for example, did such a review...)

Best option: take a usenet subscription and you never have to worry about DRM crap again. It simply works, always.

Yes, there is 1080P on usenet too.

Back