HDD and Bios with Winxp Problem

Relentless3O

Limp Gawd
I just got my 36 gig raptor (finally) and im ready to fix my computer. Well, I tried to install my OS and it says there are no HDDs attached (This is at the install windows screen by pressing enter, and I press enter and it says this.) I tried making a RAID disk, and im not sure if it is reading it or not or when I use my dads desktop for making the RAID disk it worked. What should I do? Should I try making another disk for my raid things because it detects both /SATA HDDs in the Serial ATA/Raid Bios. This is on my Asus A8V Mobo by the way. I had to go through this once, but got lazy and decided to use an IDE HDD which failed! Ironic isnt it. Figures :rolleyes: :p Please guys, I miss BF2!

You need to load the drivers during windows install startup. Hit f6 where it tells you.

Well I dont think my floppy works because when I try to make a driver disk with my dads desktop and I use it on the comp and press S to specify and load the disk it never loads the SATA drivers or maybe im just thick and am doing something wrong? Like I press the F6 then press S when it tells me too then load in the floppy I make, but im not sure if its working, then I press enter to continue and it says no hdds connected. What should I do? I am sure the damn CD is working but I am not sure where to find these drivers.It says like 378 Raid, 378 SATA and something else. I tried both but no luck. Should I try new floppy? god damn...should I just get a SATA->IDE adapter for my raptor and use that? Would that lower the speeds of my raptor some? ughhh

EDIT : I have to make the floppy; The Motherboard does not come with one, I use the Motherboard disk. Should I get hold of an IDE HDD, Install WinXP, flash the bios and see if the newest bios would help? I am running out of ideas, and am going through some computer withdrawal symptoms.

Sounds like you're close. After f6'ing and S'ing you should be able to select the controller from the floppy. You may see different versions of the driver. Have you seen the screen after the bottom one here?

Is your floppy drive known good? Also is the floppy disk good, ie will it pass a long format?

Yeah, I put the floppy in and got to that screen. It took 12 minutes to make the floppy and it loaded the drivers and shit, But it loads really quick, and im not that sure if its loading or not....I think the floppy is broken because these disks may not be working >.> What should I do to check?

Maybe you could borrow the floppy drive out of your dad's machine long enough to get through the install. On the other hand, 12 minutes to create a driver disk seems a bit excessive. Did you check the disk in his machine to make sure the drivers are there after creating it?

I always buckle and sit through the long format because occasionally the shorty will give the 'format complete' dialogue on a bad disk where the long one will fail if the media is damaged.

I keep pressing enter to load and its a no go. It says I need to connect the HDDs. Are there specific drivers that I should load? Im not sure which ones to make a disk out of... god this is confusing.

Assuming its a plain old A8V and 32bit XP, these are the drivers you need but they are likely the same ones on the CD.

If there are files on the floppy you made, I would venture to say the drive is bad in your machine. Buy or preferrably borrow another one and try the setup again.

If there are no files on the floppy you made, then either the floppy is trash (try with another disk 1st) or the FD in your dads machine is done.

I ran into a similar problem with my first SATA set up (couldn't get a floppy to work at all). I finally slipstreamed the drivers onto a XP install disk and have never had a problem since. I won't even attempt to dig up the method I used 2 years ago, but most people seem to reccomend nLite as an easy app for slipstreaming. They link to a guide for SATA drivers.

Dr: First off, thanks so much for your help. Second, when my computer boots up, the floppy light is allways green? maybe the drive is broken...

You may have the floppy cable in upside down; this causes the problem (among other things, of course).

unhappy_mage said:
You may have the floppy cable in upside down; this causes the problem (among other things, of course).

also QFT, this has happened so many times, this would have been good to know early on. It's an easy fix but not one people normally try. Give it a shot.

Back