Hdd detected in Bios but not Windows

holli4pirating

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm trying to get some files off an old hard drive and having a bit of trouble. The drive is a Seagate IDE hard drive, and I've got it hooked up to my gaming rig. It's on it's own cable, attached to the master hdd attachment on the Secondary IDE channel. The jumpers are set to master, and there is no slave drive. I booted up the computer, and the drive showed up in the BIOS, but not in Windows. I checked pretty much everywhere (device manager, disk management, WD and Seagate hdd tools), but no luck.

I then remembered that the drive had Windows on it at one point, so I set it as the boot drive to see what would happen. The computer posted, went through BIOS and loaded Windows. It then said I had to register Windows and the mouse and keyboard wouldn't work for whatever reason, so that didn't work either.

The point is that I'm almost positive that I've got the drive hooked up properly, and I know the drive works. Any ideas on how to get Windows to detect the drive?

I think I've got all the info that might be needed, but specs are in the sig under 'gaming rig" and I'm running Windows XP Pro.

if u change your mobo after u have change the HD, then the OS in the old HD would recognize the new hardware and hell would break loose, try booting in SAFE MODE, and there u can copy the pr0n... er... I mean the "files" u want

from your old one, u said it has windoze installed

Back