HDD Recovery: easeus vs. acronis

damarious25

Limp Gawd
I have a 500GB HDD that has been sitting in bubble wrap for about 8 months, since the day I accidentally did a quick format on it.

Finally I have the resources to buy a program to assist in data recovery. As far as I can remember there is a one program everyone seems to suggest but I forget the name of it. I think it's from easeus or acronis but I can't remember.

Best program for data recovery from quick formatted HDD? File types mostly pics and various video formats. Looking to try and recovery everything if possible.

Thanks!
-dam25

testdisk avaiable on sysrescue cd.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

In any case I would make a bit for bit copy of the disk before doing any recovery on it. A good program for that is ddrescue (also available on sysrescuecd) however be absolutely certain which disk is the source and which disk is the destination because it will not warn you and gladly overwrite your data with what was on the blank disk.

If I use ddrescue for a bit by bit copy and the destination is in use but has 600GB available, the 500GB bit by bit copy won't overwrite data on destination right? It'll just use 500 of the 600 available GBs right? (I want to be 100% sure before I begin this).

If I use ddrescue for a bit by bit copy and the destination is in use but has 600GB available, the 500GB bit by bit copy won't overwrite data on destination right?

It will completely overwrite the destination. There is a way to make it output to a file however if you are inexperienced with linux I would recommend having a spare disk for that.

I don't think ddrescue is necessary in this case. Since it's not a bad drive that is going to get worse, and you don't have bad sectors. Just don't write to the partition obviously. Most recovery software should be adequate for an accidental quick format. I'm not sure if quick format also deletes the $MFT mirror, but if it doesn't you might be able to recover all of your data with a Testdisk $MFT mirror copy. I would avoid Easus. I had bad luck trying a recovery with their software some time ago. I've never heard of Acronis recovery software, but I like Acronis software in general. For a quick format I think almost anything should work. Possibly including freeware like Testdisk/PhotoRec and Recuva. Personally I like GetDataBack. I've had good luck with it. I think they even have an option specifically for a quick format recovery. Some people here have also recommended Active@ recovery software with one person doing a direct comparison to GetDataBack and saying that Active@ recovered more data. You could try them all. Although GetDataBack is the only recovery software that I know of with a demo mode that actually lets you check the recovered files to make sure they are not corrupt before paying for it.

I don't think ddrescue is necessary in this case. Since it's not a bad drive that is going to get worse, and you don't have bad sectors. Just don't write to the partition obviously.

My reasoning was if you were using a recovery program that changed the data on the source disk its best that you have a backup of it to restore if the recovery program trashed the source. With that said for recovery programs that will generate the output on a new drive I would not worry about this step. As for the choice of ddrescue over dd, I tend to use ddrescue now even in cases where dd is all that is necessary because of the screen output of progress that ddrescue gives and dd does not without having to use kill -USR1 ddprocessid

You can still recover your data from a formatted hard drive because the data sectors should not be overwritten. i will suggest you to use Kernel for FAT and NTFS hard disk data recovery software for the recovery of your files or folders after accidental format. it has a user friendly interface and preview the data and files in scan mode. for more information go to www.windowsdatarecovery.com

Back